Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 'Ledge' style Gypsy Waggon progress (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'Ledge' style Gypsy Waggon progress
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave-the owner borrowed all those parts back today, to dry-fit them under the body so far & fit brakes. So, for a fortnight at least, we have a bit of room in the shed! Early next year we'll have it back-I'll let you know, anyhow.

Then I still have to paint the whole body...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Camoly!!! Beautiful work Ian! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang! That's cool.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, the project you made for me on the L'ville panel swap is hanging directly in front of my computer - it gives me inspiration every day. You are a master of your craft and I hope the gypsies are just as proud of you as we are.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris depuy   Email chris depuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is wow.......I do have a question if I may.
I have never used a "Broadliner brush like the one you did the wheels with but wanted to try one.....
What size is the one you are using???????

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk
1109 Cedar St. Dundee, Or

Posts: 31 | From: Dayton, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris depuy   Email chris depuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is wow.......I do have a question if I may.
I have never used a "Broadliner" brush like the one you did the wheels with but wanted to try one.....
What size is the one you are using???????

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk

Posts: 31 | From: Dayton, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments, Folks-it's a huge job-and I'll be looking forward to seeing the finmished result at the end of it too!

Chris, sorry, but I don't know what size broadliner I used. (Maybe a #2 ?) I have a stack of them, and just took one that looked about right. You can't always read the numbers after a couple of years' use, and I know for a fact that a few of the Mack brushes I used or have, have incorrect numbers on them.

For instance, I have a 000 Mack that makes a far fatter line than an 0 Mack, and couple of Excaliburs also like that. I think I have a #2 that is finer than an 0 as well, so I just look,clean the vaseline out, splay the bristles to see how wide it might go if I needed it to, and start to use it. If I guessed incorrectly, it gets cleaned and I get another one, wider or narrower as the case needs.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian this goes without words, very moving, very emotional; you are a passionate, skilled artist!

What an honor it is to know you. Thanks for putting up with me painting that big ham!! Your talent and discipline just knock me over.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

(Oops double post-see below)

[ December 09, 2011, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thanks, Deb. (I'm not really that good, according to me [Wink] )

Chris, I just looked at the brushes, and the Mack broadliner I used on the spokes has 00 on it, but another Mack one with 00 that I have is possibly 1/3 wider, so I guess they might have had a mixup of handles in the binding stages...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Again GREAT WORK! Very inspiring!! Thanks for the answer. Just ordered one.....

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incredible work Ian!! Keep the photos coming - very interested to see the progression!!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, you really do blow my socks off with the patience you have to put into your projects. I have seen many of your projects over the east coast of Australia in museums and other places and it is a real honour to know you as a friend and a real artisan. It was great catching up with you over a coffee last week and I look forward to seeing how your projects finish up.

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful job Ian! I love all the old living wagons, I bought this old Brayshaw wagon in the early 80's, I couldn't bring it over to Sweden, so its been parked up at friends in Wales for many years, its all been painted since this picture was taken, and is kept warm inside with woodburner. I watched a show on a UK channel last week called Fairground Attractions showing a huge meet in Dorset on 600 acres, largest preservation meet in UK with all sorts of rides, they got talking to a guy called Joby Carter, who runs a family business,and restores old rides and then coincidentally while reading an online artists magazine saw he did signwriting courses too, small world, and great to see people so much into preservation.

-

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Very interesting, Henry, (does it have a truck or bus engine in the front, or was it a tow-along trailer type?) and thanks, Dave-it was great to see you again after a couple of years!

Here's the latest pic: "Together at last!"

-

[ December 13, 2011, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Erik Winkler
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please I beg you, make some video's when you do the striping thing! I would love to see the sweat, hear the cursing and realize that you also are doing your best.
The little painted peacock's are so lovely!

Erik

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!