Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question about reflective on race cars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about reflective on race cars
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy folks, loong time no see. -Long story, but this stuff's in my blood I reckon and just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.(I just need to reinvent myself as the guy no one minds paying obscene amounts of money to for putting my touch on things. Anyway I can dream. [Smile] )

So my question is: Does anyone know what kind of reflective they're using in this video of cars running at night? I've got a customer that wants this type of reflective. The second car shown in the video in the first couple of seconds is a good example if you can catch it that quickly, but you should be able to see others in the video as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAInxScLQk

Thanks a bunch. Glad to see all the familiar faces here, but none of you seem to have aged in the last 4 years. Hmmm...

[ November 16, 2011, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Dusty Campbell ]

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's a racecar just throw anything on it reflective is reflective only the price makes it difference, lol. I guess if he wanted brillance you could start with that high intensity stuff!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like bruce said, any reflective will do. The cars shown in that video appear to be street cars. For everybody envolveds sake , make sure you put the reflective on a leyer of high performance for ease of removal.
If this is for a race car that runs at a local saturday night track, the owner needs to keep in mind, most photographers won't shoot pictures of a car with reflective on it.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I wasn't clear, it's not a car, he just wants the type of reflective they're using because of how reflective it is.

High intensity? Do you know who manufactures it?

Thanks y'all for the help.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dusty...check out this thread for super-reflective vinyl...

http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/59361.html

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2282 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grimco is a great place for reflective vinyl. So is Gregory. But after looking at the video, I'm wondering if that was FDC 3556 glow in the dark vinyl.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's probably just run of the mill engineer Grade Blue. Didn't look bright enough to be Diamond.

I am surprised they allow reflective on Grand Am. They won't let you run on the track out here if you have reflective. Something to do with the timing clocks.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

It might be glow in the dark Dave. I'm taking his word for the qualities of the vinyl and we all know how that can be. He said it lights up white and will reflect when there is practically no light shining on it.

He's happy enough with the engineer grade reflective I gave him for now, but I'd like to give him exactly what he wants and also to know for myself.

I'll get some more samples and see if any of them are it. If I can't find it, it'll be a good excuse for me to go the Petit Le Mans next year. [Smile]

Thanks again y'all.

[ November 16, 2011, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Dusty Campbell ]

--------------------
Industrious

Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what you are looking for is electroluminescent film or tape... do a Google search. One company is Light Tape...

http://www.lighttape.com/

[ November 18, 2011, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Jim Moser ]

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Wow, regardless of if that's it or not, that's cool stuff. Thanks Jim.

--------------------
Industrious

Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where ya been Dusty? That's funny, you came to mind when I was remembering the Circus down in Suwannee...I was wondering what you were doi'n.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!