Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SignLab error message

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SignLab error message
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this posted on the CADLink board, but no one has answered.
I had to replace a hard drive. I got everything reloaded. But I have two issues with the SignLab 7 reload.
1 - When I try to save a drawing I get this message, "cannot create backup file-continue to save?".
2 - When I try to load fonts direct from the cd, it finds and loads them, but only if I leave the cd in. I can't copy them to the Windows/fonts directory as it says some are in unacceptable format (.vef and others).

Any SignLab users or computer gurus have any ideas or seen this before? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take all your Vef and Wfn fonts off the disk and put them on the hard drive in the Cadlink Folder then install them into Signlab from there. They will not work in the Windows Font Directory as the system doesn't know what a vef file is.

As for the back-up issue. If you are getting that message on existing files make sure they are not Read Only. Right Click on the file and look under properties and Unclick Read Only. This happens once in-awhile when you transfer you files off a CD.
If that doesn't work try network Sharing your Drive. Windows sometimes sees a .bak file as a different type of backup, thus not allowing it to be written to a closed drive. If not.. I have no clue.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have the whole saving issue as well. I have to resave most files i open and redo work in. It is highly frustrating and bogs down the computer when it tries to save.

I feel your pain!

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana, is it Signlab 7 or 7.1? Depending on the version you have, the problem may have been fixed in the upgrades.

You are missing out on some very cool features in the newer versions. I had SignLab 7.1 earlier this year and upgraded to version 9. It was well worth it and has opened up lots of creative ideas that I wasn't able to do in the older versions.

It works well with pdf files now and the scanning and vectorizing bitmaps is really improved. I highly recommend checking it out. I'm doing multi layer gradients for backgrounds that I could only achieve in Illustrator before. And it's much easier and faster! I hope you get things worked out.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the update. I have found a work around at least. CADLink only says 7.0 is not supported and you have to buy an upgrade.
I found that it will not save any existing .cdl files that I open. BUT, if I import an .eps and save as a different file name it will save. So, I can open an existing .cdl file, export it as a .cdl, then import back in under a different file name and it works like normal then.
Pain in the butt, but at least I am still operational.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!