Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What kind ofmpaint should I use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What kind ofmpaint should I use?
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use oil based paints for most of my signs. 6 weeks ago I gave my customer a quote for a repaint. The sign is mounted to the wall, 10 ft up, and is only 18 month old. They changed their name, and want the vinyl lettering removed, repainted a different color and relettered. I have pressured them the last 3 weeks to make a decission because of the fall temperatures,
and paint ideally needs at least 50 degrees to dry, My problem is the weather has finnally become fall like..
This weeks it barely reached 50 and rainy. Next week, it should be low50's. sunny/cloudy. Should I use Latex?
I have no idea what kind of paint is on there. It is white-with
a flat finish, vinyl lettering. No way to take down the sign.

Is there a problem with vinyl sticking to latex? Our winters
are between. 25. down to minus 25. Summers are in the mid to high 80's. , with occasional high 90's, and humid.
The sign will be painted gray, and it will face South.

I can't get Porter. Can you roller,brush on Matthews paint?
I have sprayed it- use it for all my burgundy signs.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I have painted lettering while the temps, outside, have been in the low 40's. And that's using 1-Shot lettering enamel.The only thing I really need is dry. No rain. To speed up the drying, you could use the 1-Shot low temp redurcer. Although, I'm not too sure about painting below frezzing. Not sure about low term adhesion. Give me that guy's number so I could tell him not to make you wait, while the temperture drops.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,
I was thinking of using 1-shot and adding the hardener.
SHE signed the agreement today, but won't have the deposit until Monday, which is fine because of rain in the forecast for
thursday. -Saturday. I got the signed agreement, And will strip of the vinyl first thing Monday, with or without the deposit. The sign is 3' x 18 ft.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would paint (or vinyl) a thin sheet of aluminum in the shop, then attach it to the existing face. I call it re-skinning, but you get the picture. No vinyl and adhesive removal, nice new face, no weather problems.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinyl does not stick to some latex paints. Flat latex seem to hold the best. Semi gloss the worst. Been down that road before on a big project that I ended up almost having to eat it, but they sold the store and totally changed the sign at last. I had to go up there a couple of times and fuss with getting some of the 36" tall vinyl letters to reattach. The new owners wanted a totally new look, thankfully. I was happy to provide.

Sonny has the best idea. Reskin and avoid future problems. Repainting and stripping off vinyl is always a pain.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

They said no to. that. The sign has white molding on the edges, That will need to be painted gray.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

They said no to. that. The sign has white molding on the edges, That will need to be painted gray.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

I thought that vinyl stuck better to a semi-gloss or glossy paint. than. flat?

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

What brands of latex would you recommend?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane ... you are correct gloss or semi gloss ... NOT flat latex.
Just roll on a coat of good gloss latex and you ar in biz!

1Shot with hardner will do well, except for the reds and yellows ... they fade!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane- I have had vinyl adhesion success locally with Shermin Williams SuperPaint Exterior Acrylic Latex. I use satin usually.

I have had vinyl-to-paint FAILURE with Home Depot brand paints...behr? I think.

my 2 cents.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane,
I'd go with your original idea...One Shot with hardener. You can mix in a little black, to get the shade of gray that you want. Ronan is better, but sometimes hard to get. You should have no drying issues, particularly if the sun is on it for part of the day.

[ October 27, 2011, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Diane,
Matthews paint can be rolled or brushed. But, you need to mix in an additive that allows it to brushed/rolled...
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/matthewspaint/products/Documents/MPC159_04.pdf

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checkers is right. There is a brushing & rolling additive and catalyst for Mathews.

I just don't trust ANY color of One Shot any more. Ronan is my choice now for oil based. It's as good as One Shot was many years ago. Add the hardner though for drying and extra durability.

Some latex paint manufacturers are adding silicone to their paint to make them more self cleaning. Vinyl will not stick to that kind of paint. Porter Acri-Shield or Sherwin Williams Super Paint gloss or semi gloss would be my only choice if I were to go with latex. I have signs out there 4 years now painted with Porter on DiBond and vinyl lettering. Went by one yesterday and still looks like it did the day I put it out.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinyl does not stick to some latex paints. Flat latex seem to hold the best. Semi gloss the worst

your kidding? Down here flat is the worse. i cnanot get vinyl to stick to a flat wall for nothing eggshell all the way to gloss holds the best

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Would the vinyl stick well to SATIN exterior Sherwin Williams Super Paint? Would Glossy be better?

Diane.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Diane, can't you do an experiment?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had vinyl desasters with Calandared vinyl on flat latex. Interior job and the vinyl peeled off like potato chips overnight.

glossier the better, use a higher grade vinyl as well. my 2 cents.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glossy is better, and remember, high gloss latex isn't nearly as glossy as One Shot or Ronan.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

I once applied cast vinyl on an interior flat latex wall. The letters were coming off within 1 month. The sign I am talking about here, has flat paint. Maybe with a little heat, hair dryer, the vinyl will come off easily. If it doesn't, I will do it on aluminum, and eat the cost of it.

Diane,.

[ October 28, 2011, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: DianeBalch ]

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!