Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Roaming Extensive font ... PART 002

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roaming Extensive font ... PART 002
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

HERE's version 002 of the freebie fontry font experiment, FTY Extensive Roaming. I got lots of advice and tried to incorporate it all. Letters in blue underwent minor to major changes. Those with major changes still remain in lowercase cells for comparison. I didn't get around to making the Q cooler yet, and the fishtail J is still messing with me.

Perhaps I can get some feedback on the J.

There was a ton of advice I couldn't get to, so I'll have to consider that for version 003. Some of the advice was just words and no drawings or corel files. If you send Corel files, save down to 9.x please!!! Those seeking more changes may have to show me rather than tell me, to clear up the vague descriptions.

http://www.thefontry.com/roaming_extensive or ...

http://www.thefontry.com/extensive_roaming/FTY_Roaming_Extensive_002.zip

I eliminated the original funky alternates. No one seemed to want me going that route. Version.1 of the font is still downloadable in case you don't like what I've done.

I have a lot of people to thank, so I'll get that in a later post. For the next time around, I mostly just want to get the Q done and possibly get a good alternate fishtail J going.

let me know what you think!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, Steve P, I am still working on that sweet Uppercase R you sent me. Expect to see that as a definite alternate in Version.3

thanx!!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, this is my favorite font that you have made so far, and with the revisions is one of my favorites all together. Really really nice, classic style, I love it. Thanks for sharing it.

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Thanx, Sean.

It's tough because I don't want to overdo. I just want it to work without the customer scratching his head and asking, "Why this font?"

I'm sure we'll all be pulling our hair out when it comes time to lock down the numbers!!! And the lowercase!!! And some ampersand ....

... oh, boy!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its going to be great when its all put together

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia needs to chime in on the J!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The leg of the R is still not quite right. I see the tip of the leg is your issue being that the leg needs to come right some more but the tip is gonna be too far out.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael..I love the whole alphabet except the "R"...But I have no idea how to correct that nice tail without ruining the overall look of it.

I DO like the changes to the "A,E,F and H".

The middle new "J" appeals to me most.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the third J....

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

everywhere I look there is the letter J haunting me! I believe the 3rd fishtail J will be the alternate. That style kinda messes with me, but it can work, I think.

Bruce is 100% right on the R, and Dave--he don't know what he's talking about!!! Just kidding, Dave!!! There is a more "normal" R in the works, Dave, supplied by a resident letterhead. The R as it stands is cool but varies so much from the rest of the letters as to create a dilemma and almost too much of a difference in styles and shapes. It's almost tempting to trash it, but it's so cool an idea one feels compelled to make it work.

And where is Alicia on the J-????

There is more work to do, such as kerning, width adjustments, spacing etc. Some of you may have noticed that certain letter combinations don't yet look right. That's because the letters haven't yet been adjusted for a little better visual harmony.

i'm also looking over some ideas I received via email last week, so there's more stuff to try my brain!

hopefully version3 will be ready for critiquing by the end of this week or first of next

thanx all!!!!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always love your fonts and use them almost daily. Thanks Michael.
I like the sexy crossbars.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

I just love it when Jill used the word "sexy!"

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!