Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Couple of sign questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple of sign questions...
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking to write up a proposal on replacing the sign below and have a couple of questions on the best substrates and procedures.

-

I would like to replace the MDO with Dibond or Omega-Bond. I am wondering how best to laminate the 2 sign faces together and have it be strong enough to withstand the bolt mounting system that is used presently.

I will be cutting the edges of the new DiBond faces to conform to the artwork so it will not be a simple square.

Do I need to build an inner frame structure or could I laminate the two DiBond Sheets over a more structurally sound material?

I am also wondering which composite aluminum panel you would recommend for this area of the country? Have you had better results with DiBond or Omega-Bond?

Any advice would be very helpful......thanks

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would best be served by building a stronger frame around the dibond than to trust that the simple doubling up would hold up. Dibond does fatigue easily around holes, I have clearly seen. Since dibond appears to be aluminum panels, I would use aluminum frame. Some C channel and weld the corners?
Now considering the age of the wood frame that this is all going in, I might suggest simply replacing all of it with a similar looking 'lathe turned' frame made from quartersawn redwood and eliminate the hanging dibond concept, but replace it with a channel mounted dibond one, instead.

If the budget does not allow for the frame replacement, then perhaps an entirely new sign out of two layers of dibond with a 'painted to look like the lathe turned' frame and then screwed onto the obvious steel horizontal bars. The suspended look serves no purpose whatsoever and only allows for premature failure, compared to dibond. Might also suggest using aluminum screws for less electrolosis against the dibond, however there will be some on the steel frame over time from the aluminum screws.
Me? I would sell them two new dibond faces and maybe leave the top and bottom curleycued wood pieces and overlay the dibond on top of the lathe turned verticles. Repaint the verticles in exterior white latex a few coats and it would last quite a while.
My two cents worth, only. Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale,
Are you planning on making this two-sided sign at least an inch thick? DiBond or Alupanel, etc. would work well with a 1" white aluminum tube frame and be strong and light weight. Without seeing the shape you are considering, you will definitely need to support it in the colonial looking frame at 4 places. Maybe some scrolls from those scroll brackets along the sides or top and bottom would be decorative and strong supports.

Just thinking out loud, but would love to see what design shape you are considering. Show us what you have in mind!

Sign-cerely curious, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, I would use 6mm Alupanel doubled. I usually use silicone to hold the panels together for something like you are doing all you really need to do is keep the panels from sliding around. The silicone will also seal the seam.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about using aluminum faced plywood like Lustreboard or Omega Signboard. That way the laminating has been done for you all you have to do is cut it out. You don't hear a whole lot about these products - I wonder why?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, We have used Lustreboard before and it has worked out great. It maybe a weight issue for a hanging sign, depending on the size. I think Dennis has the right idea using the thicker Alupanel. It cuts like butter with a jigsaw and will last a long time outdoors.

I would say we use Alupanel, DiBond, Poly Metal boards for 75% of our exterior signage and MDO for the rest. I guess we just don't talk about it but I love it. And it comes in colors too!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with Kelly, using Lustreboard. With the hardwood plywood, sealed edges, (caulked & painted)and even edge capped.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with 1/4" aluminum.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off I would cautious to use any of the exhisting mounting hardware. And I am concerned with the "chain" that is supposed to give support to the bracket. The 2 side chains are mounted so far back as to not supply sufficient support in my opinion. Are the black horizontal pieces steel?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would ditch the wood stuff. You know how our weather is here! And the existing hanging hardware for the floating panel.

I would use a 1/2" (10mm?) alumalite panel with silicone in the honeycomb down each side to seal shut.

Then, I would use 1" aluminum angle fit to one side of the existing framework all around(after the 4th side is welded in with the missing bar).Install the flat side to the inside of the sign (vs having the angle face into the sign. Paint it black to match, screw to existing frame (weld on adhesive as well-we always double fasten.

Finally fasten the sign into place by placing it against the flat side of the angle, and repeating the angle holding mechanism on the opposite face...

Maybe a picture? I have it blown apart so you can see each piece....

Does that help? Light weight, but sturdy and relatively easy to assemble. Held in place by angle on both sides, all around.
Angle mounting

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working on the Fonts for this sign but I wanted to post the cut-out shape I have in Mind.

-

Anyone having any success working with the Lusterboard as Kelly suggested above? Do you think it would be fairly easy to cut the Nouveau shape out of it with a jig saw?

Thanks again...

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, if it's an option I would scrap all the colonial cut out wood from the frame and add some metal scrollwork above and below the steel arms that hold the sign. The shape should be no problem cutting out with a jig saw. Good luck, looks like a good start to the design.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the lusterboard would cut easily with a good blade as long as it is fairly stiff. It shouldn't be any different than cutting out plywood. I highly recommend this unit for smoothing and refining! It's my #1 favorite tool!
 -

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do, ditch the old frame. It's needs a bolder frame made outta of a big old four poster bed.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Dale,
I definitely like where the design is going.
My initial thought was the same as Bob's. So, why put all that effort into the sign when there is a chance the frame will fail?
Beyond that, I would lean towards either a square tube aluminum frame as Steve L initially suggested or thick exterior PVC, which I'm really starting to like and use a lot more of lately.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,
I like the looks of the tool you posted. What brand is that?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

It's a Black and Decker 1/2" precision belt sander. It makes quick work of shaping wood & HDU, cleaning off AC burrs, knocking off edges and sharpening inside corners on wood, concrete, tile, glass (work gently in short bursts on glass so it doesn't get too hot). It eats fast you you need a light hand.
On a job like Dale's it is great for sharpening up those inside corners as long as they are >90 degrees, and smoothing out the curves.
I use it in one way or another on most of my projects.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not use lusterboard. i have had less than stellar results using it especially if you are going to use a cut out shape.

Dibond is what i would use. I would also use grommets in the holes for the mounting points.

Design wise, I don't like your border. The "Mucha" style girl is awesome but the border looks very weak in comparison with the girl.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

To me the border works really well. I like the way it works with the lines of the girls hair and foot on the other side. I guess it comes down to different tastes. [Smile]

Did you have trouble with the lusterboard deteriorating Bruce, or just difficulties in getting the finish you wanted?

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with the others as to removing the wood but that aside.. I would use some Twisted metal Balusters or Hammers Metal Tubing And build a Subframe that your Sign would attach to Making the Metal supports an integral part of the design and weld them to the existing sign support getting rid of that whole chain setup.

Just a quick Sketch. This Shape Sucks but you get the Idea.

-

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also meant to add.. If you have an Air compressor These are Great. Just like the Electric one above but not as heavy.

I actually like the fact that it is a little under-powered HF Tool as it keeps me from getting too aggressive on HDU.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-belt-sander-97055.html

-

[ October 14, 2011, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: William DeBekker ]

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrrrggghh!

An Art Deco sign with a Colonial frame?

Where are The Sign Police?

[Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lusterboard aluminum de-laminated from the plywood core. Once the faces de-laminate the core rots and fails quickly.

FWI... Cutting an edge to shape, not sealing the edge with cap, and not painting the edge as well voids the warranty. I found this out the hard way when the 24 sheets we used for cut out letters failed in less than two years and Laminators, Inc. refused to honor the warranty. Fortunately, our supplier thought that Laminators' position was crap and offered a bit of a credit towards purchase of other material.

I still think the border sucks. I find it to be distracting from the marvelous girl figure. The corner do-dads look crude and gaudy. I always thought that borders were an extreme weakness of the art nouveau style.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bowers:
The Lusterboard aluminum de-laminated from the plywood core. Once the faces de-laminate the core rots and fails quickly.

FWI... Cutting an edge to shape, not sealing the edge with cap, and not painting the edge as well voids the warranty. I found this out the hard way when the 24 sheets we used for cut out letters failed in less than two years and Laminators, Inc. refused to honor the warranty. Fortunately, our supplier thought that Laminators' position was crap and offered a bit of a credit towards purchase of other material.

Ugh! That would suck big time. Thanks for the info.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are going ahead with this project....I will post some pics later on today...

Does anyone have any feedback on Dibond vs. Omega-Bond aluminum composite panels? There is quite a bit of a price difference so I am wondering if that is a reflection of quality, and longevity?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call the guys here...it's faster than typing it all out. DO NOT use Lusterboard....trust me on that.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly's sander reminded me that I've been wanting one of those for a while. Unfortunately, a pretty thorough search revealed that apparently Black and Decker has stopped making that sander. It's not available anywhere. The one Si posted, and an electric version is available at Harbor Freight Tools. Air version is $25.00 and the electric version is $30.00. Then there's the Proxon version at Klingspor for $140.00.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!