Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lincoln Highway mural number 19. . . Oswego, IL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lincoln Highway mural number 19. . . Oswego, IL
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number 19 is now installed in Oswego, IL - a tribute to a the Boy Scouts and their installation of 3,300 LH markers along the entire length of the road back in 1925 . . . as a tribute to Abraham Lincoln.

The concrete markers were all installed in one day . . . and work began with a signal from the Boy Scout headquarters to all the crews working across the country. The first photo in the slideshow is the photo I was given - and had to make work in a vertical format.

Not much for pictorial with a vertically oriented mural . . . so Joe Marshall covered the largest area of square footage on this mural . . .

The step-by-step is not so effective here since it was 18 feet high and we only have 12 foot ceilings . . . so use your imagination. [Smile]

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq143/shawcraft/Oswego%20mural/?albumview=slideshow

I think #20 will be Frankfort, Illinois . . . and a repeat of the Boy Scout story. I've found the face to be very challenging for a novice pictorial painter like me . . . these 2 boys were as large as Doug Downey so I painted in a bit more detail - but it is tough. The Frankfort mural has 6 faces in it (UGH!) but at least they are smaller . . .

Quite a project . . . 14 more to go - until April 2013 . . . We'd truly like to be done sooner.

[ September 28, 2011, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Jay Allen ]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Jay!

Hey, is the dragstrip still there in Oswego? I remember the old radio ads...haha.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Brent . . . shadowed faces are a PIA . . .

Nope - Oswego Drag Strip closed in 1979 according to the Internet - but the commercials are classic still . . . Heard 'em a bajillion times on Chicago radio, too . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful as always. Nice step by step as well.. Boy do I miss painting.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another top notch job!

They are great to see. Thanks for posting these with the step by step pics, they really help a guy like me.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff, Jay - thanks.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the step by step. Beautiful.
Are the panels Diabond? How did you mount them?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Simpson   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also ask what paint do you use for these Jay? They are beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
324 E. Main St., montrose, CO 81401
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Posts: 30 | From: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

All those questions have been asked before . . . and a search here will give you all the answers from paints (artists oils and Ronan) to materials used (3mm 4' x 10' Dibond) to attachment (each town puts up a 2" x 4" frame as per our dimension plan. We simply come in and screw the panels to the frame with 1.25" wafer head screws. Takes 45 minutes to an hour - and is so rapid since we paint all the screws on the wall in-house as we go - then transfer them to their appropriate holes when installing.)

As with all Letterheads, sharing is what is proper - so that's what my intention is. The added info may help you or your shop . . . or at least that is the hope.

It's challenging . . . to be sure. But rarely do you get 'legacy' projects and my normal 'high standards' fit well with that . . .

But it was intimidating at first. To be sure. Recently the ILHC (my client) was given a national award by the America's Byways folks for Interpretive projects - so affirmation of others keeps me inspired - and challenged - for the remaining 14 murals.

But rest assured that I will 'dance a little jig' when the last screw goes in . . . and then take the long road home. [Smile]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice work Jay, they've all looked great...
TAKE THAT, MR. ALLEN!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Pete . . . ya' kill me . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the betterment of all humanity, one can always hope!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Ooooooooo - ouch . . .

Cuts like paper. heehee

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Simpson   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Jay! I did the search and read all the posts and comments on the murals and I'm more impressed than ever. The info you provided and and the documentation has been great. It is much appreciated. Looking forward to the next one.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Posts: 30 | From: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Mike . . . Letterheads share. It seemed beneficial to share the experience of this with fellow professionals. I've tried to be complete - but have left out the always-present issue with bureaucracy and project management from the agency that I am doing the work for . . .

That said, please don't think there's been 'red tape' issues that have hurt the project - because managing something of this magnitude is all new to them as well. We've done pretty well, considering, Mike . . . but as with all things in life, nothing's perfect when completed - perfection can only be found in the effort.

We're trying hard - it was tough at first - but the last 14 are somewhat templatized in the process now . . . so that helps ease any design or communication burdens.

As I complete them, I'll be adding more step-by-steps . . . and when the last one goes up, you'll see a photo of a smiling Jay hoisting a glass of something alcoholic and toasting to the end!! I'm going to gild a wafer-headed screw and attach the last panel with it . . . just like 'the Golden Spike' . . .

Might as well have a chuckle . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Well...I think when you get done with them I'll jump on the Harley and come take a tour of the series. On the other hand maybe I won't wait that long. Maybe next spring. The sharing you and the rest of the group do is why I'm attracted to the Letterheads. It is very inspiring. Thanks again Jay.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Allen:
Thanks, Brent . . . shadowed faces are a PIA . . .

Nope - Oswego Drag Strip closed in 1979 according to the Internet - but the commercials are classic still . . . Heard 'em a bajillion times on Chicago radio, too . . .

I remember it too as I was going to Oswego High School (when there was only one) at the time.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another great sign!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Mike, don't let Jay ride your Harley

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mike Simpson   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete...naw, that probably won't happen. I know you guys and gals are big on sharing here in Letterville, but I'll have to draw the line there [Wink] . I do think it'd make for a great road trip to see the murals however. I was thinking in the spring but maybe in the fall instead when the weather isn't so vicious.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Don't know where that angry red face came from but it wasn't ment to be...sorry.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Pete Payne

Member # 344

that's a good idea Mike, Jay, motorcycles and fall go together way too well

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!