Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question about the Screen Print inks on tarps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about the Screen Print inks on tarps
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are doing are first Conastoga Trailer with the vinyl tarp. We have the screen printing inks, and are set to go. But I do have a couple questions.

What type of roller is better - the foam rollers or a reg good roller?
We are painting through a mask....and wondering what the best way of getting the mask off is. Dennis did a test paint with the mask, let it dry, peeled the mask off...it wanted to peel up some of the edges. Any tips?

Thanks!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you using vinyl inks? They are extremely agressive. I've never used a mask but have taped top and bottom lines and never had a problem. You might want to remove the mask right away.
I'm sure somebody will chime in about the roller but I'd be willing to bet vinyl ink will cause problems with a foam roller.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks George, we are using Nazdar Inks,S250... that they recommended. We do need to thin it down with the thinner.
That was our thought to on the foam roller.
We are going white over black tarp....and not sure if we will have to do 2 coats on it.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoo Boy! You bit into a mean one!

White on black will take at least 2 coats. AND the 2nd coat will probably dissolve the vinyl mask!

Thinned down ink and a brush is the way to do this job!

Bushie Jon is the expert on this kind of work ... he does lots of them.

You can call me at 714-521-4810

[ September 23, 2011, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a few, but white over black is hard. Yuk!
The danger in using a roller is the stuff will dry very fast and stringy, and the thinners will break down the foam or the glue holding the roller to the core.

Brush - yes, or I've airbrushed it-you don't have the lifting problem at the edges then-there's more of a 'break'

The 2nd coat of white might want to make a mess of the first though...
and it might take three coats.
I'd brush it and work wet and fast with a medium softish brush-possibly use retarders in the mix also, and allow longer drying time.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with some of the others, in that you've got your hands full here.

Some thoughts:
The solvents in the ink are going to attack the glue on the foam roller, and quite possibly the glue on the back of the mask..making the glue want to bleed under.

Normally, you'd want to remove the mask soon, to prevent bleed and leave a smoother edge. Now, since you are most surely going to need multiple coats, you're going to have to leave the mask on for awhile. This could tend to want the lift around the edges of the letters, making jaggedy edges....could.

I'd be tempted to do this with an airbrush or touch-up gun, and spray the first couple coats, thinned with a fast-dry reducer. Hopefully, that would "seal" the edges of the mask, to prevent bleed. Then, go with a couple more coats of less reduced ink, to finish it off. Then, carefully remove the mask, as soon as possible.

We'll be wishing you best of luck on this one.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
second for the airbrush touchup gun.
if you can shoot some black ink on first and let dry, that shoudld take care of the bleeds.

good luck

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay a bit light on the edges, or they will buckle & pucker, though...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,
If you bought the Super Opaque White, even thinned It should cover well. It's opaque printed through a 235 count screen mesh which is much much thinner than anything a roller would lay down.
I'd give a letter a few fast passes, than some slower, passes with less weight on the roller and see how it looks.
I'd use a short nap roller and if things are covering OK, pull the first letter mask after doing a few more letters. That should tack up pretty quickly.
Do NOT roll or fold that tarp for a couple of days though. You are putting a whole lot more solvent on there than you would be if screen printing and you what that fully dry.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tint the white ink with either black ink (to make a very light grey) or blue ink (to make a very light blue) it will cover a lot better than a pure white colour and look just as good !!
You might even get away with just one coat !!- good luck.

Brian.

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Thanks everyone for your help! We did it! [Applause]
We ended up using Nazdar inks, white, and applied two coats...using paint mask, and peeling it off very carefully when not quite dry all the way. It turned out great. Our customer was very pleased.
We did the cab of the truck too, printing the Ranger Logos on our new HP Latex Printer, and added some cut vinyl as well.

-

[ September 28, 2011, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: PatRaap ]

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya dun good, Kid!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Very sharp!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!