Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do you approach a customer about charging for design?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you approach a customer about charging for design?
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny's reply on the post about "Thou Shalt Not Steal a Design" moved me to start a new thread.

Some here have been very successful with getting paid for designs. Others haven't, or perhaps just haven't had the guts to ask.

So, how do you go about this? Do you have a separate contract for design? What wording do you use?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Sciury
Visitor
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Sciury   Email Joe Sciury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of design are we talking about? A company logo design is a separate job and charged accordingly.

A sign/banner etc. design/layout. is figured into the quote and never provided for approval until a contract/PO has been signed

This is exactly how it's explained.

--------------------
Joe Sciury
Sign Here Graphics
East Sparta, Ohio
www.signheregraphics.net

Posts: 236 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, I usually figure in my design time into the job. That is why if I get the job the design is part of it, if some other company steals it, then they should pay me.
But I usually tell the client up front that there is a design cost and it is included in the sign project total. Some clients have offered to pay me for my time up front (which is rare, but I love it)
The majority of clients that contact me have already decided ahead of time they are going to have me do the work so it is easy for me to design and know I am going to get a return on it.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, Here's what I do.
Most potential customers come in the shop or call, and start asking questions like "How much is....."
I show them all the samples and possibilities to get them into the "YES" mode. Sell yourself, or your company. Don't try to sell them a sign yet. I heard this example from a large sign company years ago. They never went out and sold signs, they first sell them on the company and it abilities and reputation.
I then explain the best way to get started is with a logo or the design. "If you would like me to do some drawings, (of course....there thinking "YES")it takes a $150 to start the designs.
I explain it will be deducted from the bill when completed.
If a logo design is is needed first, it's paid up front in advance ($200)
I recently went to give an estimate at a "stand alone" dentist building. I saw a Sign-A Rama truck parked there first. I waited till they left and went in figuring on "NOT" selling them a "NEW SIGN", but did go through the necessary steps and listened to what they wanted. Then went through enough samples and got them into the "WOW" mode. (They liked my portfolio)
They had 5 sign shops come over for an estimate.
They wrote me a check for $150 to start the concept drawings.
I'm sure Dan Swoows#w@anks*tikizee never trys to sell a sign to anyone potential customer when they first meet. He sell his abilities!
Hope this makes sense.
John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found it very simple. A look thru my portfolio of past work showed them how good I was. Stages of the job were all separate, priced and paid for before continuing from one stage to the next.

Design work was in terms of roughs, then a comp of one of them (is that word still used, to mean a tight illustration of the final art?) to show them what they'd be getting.

Since they had paid for the design work, they could do what they wanted with it. Usually, of course, they went ahead and had me do the final art, spec the printing, etc.

I always avoided situations that involved bickering, bargaining, pleading, cajoling, worrying, etc. I found such things interfered with my pool game.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!