Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Huge stencil help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Huge stencil help?
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my clients has asked me to cut a 50' X 50' stencil to decorate center field at a football stadium. Cutting the stencil in parts on my CNC router is pretty straight forward but I am at a loss for a material that is sturdy enough to use for a stencil but at the same time doesn't cost the same as a good used car. Any recommendations for a material to make the stencil from are most welcome.

Thanks Guy

Added--- The stencil is to be used only one time to paint the "AstroTurf".

[ September 02, 2011, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Guy H. J. Hilliard ]

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought cheap carpeting was used for that type of work? You know, that cheap type, flat carpet with rubber on the bottom. Usually comes in 12 ft rolls at HomeDepot or one of those carpet/flooring discount places.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masonite, or wall paneling

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/4" PVC foam-in two half widths, taped together to hinge afterwards?

Carpet sounds feasible but messy on the router-it'd tangle with the rotating parts.
It'd be OK if cut by hand with a stanley knife, if you have strong wrists.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luane paneling $12 per sheet you cant beat it. I made a 16x16 pattern for the local ice rink and it lasted 5 years now

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coroplast is cheap

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agreed with the suggestions until I read the last sentence!

"Used one time"!!

I would make a pounce pattern on plastic, mark the field and paint (spray)it!
Use a piece of coroplast (if not used to spraying a straight line) for the straight sections & on the curves, do small sections (using coro) then go back & fill to the desired arc.

OH! That's Larry Orr (Orr Signs) & Bob Timmerman (Sunshine Signs) holding up the truck!

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot!!!!!

The same apply to grass!! [Smile]

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony, what are you using to make the enlarged holes in your patterns? I find your process brilliant.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6715 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony's process is not only "cheap", but transport of the pattern is a breeze. Definitely the way to go, especially on one time projects.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony's process works well I feel certain we have both used the same patterns from time to time,they are stored in 55 gallon drums and shipped from track to track,.. but if you need stencils another option is coroplast,...it's very inexpensive it will last several seasons and any idiot can use it to paint the field markings with little or no effort with very good results. I layout the art work on the coroplast panels and then cut them out. Ant pieces that need to be held inplace like the center of letters such as a b d o p r etc can be held in place by a wire fed thru the holes in the flutes of the coroplast. I use heavy gutter nails to hold the stencils in place and they work especially well with field marking paint(cheap latex also) where you might need some tight detail to fine for the normal process used to mark grass.The coroplast will work well if the client demands a stencil type product, instead of a pattern.

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Rick,
I wish I could take credit for the idea but it has been around a long time.
On large patterns, take a knife and cut as shown on drawing. place your cuts inside the letter so your paint will cover the layout marks. On smaller patterns I us a grommet punch, also inside the letter.

Tim,
I'm sure we used the same patterns from time to time. We should start putting a piece of paper in the barrels and sign it as the pattern goes around! Might be an interesting history!!

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. This is exactly what I needed.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!