Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Vehicle Wrap price check - pic included.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vehicle Wrap price check - pic included.
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

I have to bid a digital auto wrap... I have included a picture of a sample the customer sent me (not for the same company, but as reference)... they have the same vehicle: Ford Escape.

Granted - this is very ugly.. and I would have the artistic license to large degree for their actual design.... but need a general price on a partial wrap with about the same coverage... also... what if the wrap extended on the top of the hood, and across the windows? Never done one of these before.. what would you charge?

Thanks.  -

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS - please don't make this a critique of the picture... It's ugly as sin, we all agree to that... just need some pricing recommendations... thanks.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like its just the 2 sides of the vehicle, rear end also? i dont do wraps but a similar vinyl lettering 2 sides and a rear end.....$500-$600.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Hi OP -

Thanks. Probably the back too... I was thinking $2000.... but don't know if that's too much or too little???

I think if it was a lettering job, you'd be about right on your figure... appreciate the input brutha! :-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Todd, I think you're very close to what I would charge...$1800-$2000. I like to figure out how much Vinyl is to be used, charge about $10 per sq. ft. for premium wrap material and then add labour to install, about a day and a half for a proper job.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Super! Thanks Neil.... is this hard to get the knack of? And does it have to be laminated? If so... I don't have a laminator and might just have to pass on it...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would laminate it ... it really extends life ...

Don't pass on it ... surely somone here can help you get it done

These partial wraps aren't too bad if you use the right vinyl. I won't tackle full wraps.

price wise I'd be aiming for around 1500

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes laminate is Vital, for ease of installing and protection..You may need a second hand if you are new to this.. Good Luck.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes on the second hand ... I usually don't even wrap as much as shown here, but it looks doable. The vinyl you use is critical. You don't want it to glom on as soon as it touches and not let go. I hate that. Think repositionable. Maybe expect your first run to be a practice run.

And I actually don't have a problem with the design shown in the example. At least you can tell what it is and who it is for!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Like Michael said, use the Air release 2mil Vinyl, it is very forgiving. I use Arlon, it's just awesome!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks guys... :-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Todd,
I probably would be $2,000 - $2,500 including the hood but not the roof or bumpers - maybe a little higher depending on how much "license" you're given.
And absolutely use laminate because the savings of not using it is not worth the headaches. I prefer a vinyl laminate with no pre-mask.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought about rolling on a liquid laminate? I am applying reflective graphics on Sheriff's cars and my printer is using liquid laminate. The laminate is milky white but it dries clear. It is rolled on before the graphic is contour cut. It dries in 30 minutes. Will find out the name of it and let you know.
Judy

[ August 26, 2011, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks Checkers and Judy... Let me know what the name is of the liquid lam, if you don't mind Judy. Thanks.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an observation - before we got our own print/lam setup, we used to source our printing out to a company that used a liquid laminate. We found that although it was fine for UV protection, it was nowhere near as robust as film when it came to abrasion resistance.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont pass on it Todd. Call Dennis Raap. I think he can handle the supply end as well as laminate. You do the install end [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a good project to get your feet wet. If I were you I would look for some wrapping videos on the web. I wouldn't do a full wrap without either taking a class or helping an experienced wrapper first. But yours looks a lot easier than a full wrap. One thing I've read is clean clean clean clean clean and then clean some more.

Oh yeah, and compound curves are much easier with heat and a second set of hands.

[ August 26, 2011, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 11121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Jenicek   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Jenicek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks pretty strait forward. For what you see $1000 without design charges. For hood & windows also, $2000. I agree, partial wraps are the way to go...they won't kill you on labor, (wrapping a bumper is no fun!) I have used Oracal and 3M, and have found the 3M IJ180Cv3 to be the most forgiving on complex curves. Always laminate these with manufacturers recomendations. Even though you may not be a licensed installer, it will give the best results. Remember to start in the horizontal middle of the graphic...where there are no curves. Work up and then down, stretching the vinyl over the handles, using heat, without cuts. Any premature cuts you make will definitely be impacted by heat applied later. Don't forget to laminate the window perf also. This will prevent water form "pooling" in the perf whick will obscure the driver's view.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs
St. Louis, MO

www.Artisan-Signs.net

Posts: 67 | From: Ballwin, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$800-$1000 in this area for the side wrap full wrap i wouldnt do

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

One thing to be very careful of is when you go to trim the Vinyl, don't cut too deep or you might cut too far into the paint, And later on it will cause rust to appear... this is so important, practice this on some crap, all you have to do is score with an exacto..

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Controltac with matching overlam- $15 sq ft. Do it yourself its not brain surgery and its just a matter of doing it til its right, you can continue to take it off and warm the vinyl till its right again and try again. Do horizontal strips full length. Tape the length in place from the top front. Let gravity help you. Pull the backer off from behind from the top curling it backwards so shiney side now faces the vehicle. Let the CURL hold the vinyl away from the surface until you are ready to apply that area. Overlapping strokes, hard pressure. Do not cut anything until you ar 100% satisfied it is in the absolute right place. Leave lots of room around every area you are going to cut. Consider at least an inch every time you think you need a half inch. Practise. It's really not hard, you just need to try. Cut only when you have just air behind. There is no need to cut on any painted surface.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd,
The name of the liquid laminate my printer uses is Clear Shield. Here is a link to it: Clear Shield

Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks Judy, Derri, Neil and everyone... still mulling this one over...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like this job was done on 60" vinyl and they saved $ by printing the left and right side and saved on materials. That's why the vinyl stops above the bottom of the vehicle. Could be done as shown for $1500 and make a good profit.
We quote at $14.50/ sq ft. included lamination.
We use oracal air release premium and a gloss or satin cold laminate. Partial wraps are the best because they are fast and predictible...you avoid a lot of trimming and compound curve shaping that is necessary on full wraps. Hood and glass would bring this up to $2500 Window Perf is something we try to talk customers of of doing becaus the colors look muted and the longevity is limited.

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Hey, Todd,

Just find out where Bruce can get the vehicle done for $800, drive it down, have 'em wrap it, and drive it back!!!!

hahahahahaha

unfortunately, there are people in my area who would do it for $800 ... and even do it right with all the best materials available ...

..... crazy b******s.....

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a great plan but you dont want them to do it...trust me

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!