Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel, Illustrator, Flexi, etc. What changes would you like in the programs? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Corel, Illustrator, Flexi, etc. What changes would you like in the programs?
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Corel vs Illustrator thread gave me the idea to ask users of the various illustrating programs for input. Specifically, what do you think should be changed or added to the programs you use regularly? What drives you nuts? If you think one program does a certain thing better than the others, exactly what is it and why do you like it that way?

I thought of a separate thread for each program but comments likely will reference comparisons between ways things are done and the threads wouldn’t remain solely focused on one piece of software. I also know that some of my difficulties with the various interfaces stem from not knowing an easier way to do things, which isn’t a problem with the product but unfamiliarity with some of its features.

[ August 17, 2011, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed several said Corel’s node editing was better but no comments on exactly why. Something that I have noticed in Flexi is that when I try to marquee select nodes, it selects all nodes on all objects in the selection area, not just the nodes on the selected object. Corel only selects nodes on the object that was highlighted, a much superior way of doing it in my opinion.

Another thing I wish Flexi would do is put in a radio button with a copy function in Design Central. In Corel, I can select an object, resize or move it, and have that done to a copy (or multiple copies) of the object, rather than the object itself. This feature comes in handy many times. In Flexi, I have to copy, paste, align, and then alter the item, extra steps that slows down the process.
One thing I like about CorelDRAW is that many bitmap functions are available right within the program without the need to open Paint. Another useful thing would be to add "Clone" to the bitmap tools. Sometimes, when working on a photo in Draw a real quick touch up is needed and being able to have a clone feature with the bitmap tools would save time.
Also, it would be nice if Extrude had finer controls. Sometimes, I'll be trying to show a 3/4 view of lighted letters on a wall and even if Extrude is set to 1, when I pull the extrude vanishing points to match the perspective of the letters they come out WAY too thick if the vanishing point is far away. The letters might scale to 48" thickness when they should be 5". I usually have to fake an extrude in those cases or do one on a different, closer vanishing point and hope no one notices the perspective is off.

OK, I’ve got us started. What’s on your wish list?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you ever used a program called SIGNWIZARD, the way that program does this neat trick with selected text box. just like corel you can adjust left to right, up & down, rotate. signwizard adds the ability to slant left or right, and by holding down the control key and selecting the lower center edit node, it now becomes TEXT ON AN ARCH!!!!! and you can make it a full 360 degree or any one you stop it at.
node editing is best in SIGNLAB!!! they got it right. you can do all you need to right from the node. no going up to to another box to get it to be a single node, or brake apart or close. it all right there on the node you are working on. also it handles archs better then flexi. more like corel does. but better then corel. corel has the best FONT selector....flexi sucks.

[ August 19, 2011, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Thank you OP. That's the kind of input I'm hoping to get.

My brother uses SignLab, Flexi, Corel, and Illustrator. He thinks the node editing in SignLab leaves the others in the dust. Node properties tools hover by the nodes as you edit and the spline curves are easy to manipulate just the way he likes them.

Something I'd like to change in Flexi is the order of selection process.

In Corel, if you are going to align objects, all that you select aligns to the LAST one selected, which to me is the normal order of planning: "I'll take this and align it to that."

In Flexi, everything aligns to the FIRST item selected, counter intuitive to me. Also, sometimes I'm zoomed in and want to import an element from another file. In Corel, I can import (the imported object remains selected), then shift-select what I'm working on and align to it without zooming out. In Flexi, I have to import, deselect, zoom out to find what I just imported, select the object I was working on, then shift-select the imported object, align, and zoom in. Changing the order of selection would make some editing processes much simpler.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Corel had a better font management system, like SignLab. I also agree SL is better for node editing. The Corel "contour" function drives me crazy - I bring graphics into SL and add outline and/or inlines before I do the Corel contour. Then export back to Corel. Wish I could drag and drop graphics between programs but that doesn't work too well.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean,

I agree with what you said about the contour function. It can be awesome on some things, then go completely off the rails on other things, adding nodes, weird bends, changing delicate curves, etc. I also agree that Corel should allow drag and drop between competing programs. I'd love to be able to drop a vector into Fontlab, for instance. Illustrator, I believe (have to ask Russ Mc. on this one) allows such things.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

A feature Corel has had for years that Illy just added is adjustable width outlines. This can be handy in trying to make a font bolder without altering the properties too much. I posted a step by step several years ago on this.

http://www.letterville.com/steps/daveharding/here_is_a_step_by_step_on_how_to.htm

Control+Shift+Q in Corel will convert the outline to a shape. This is handy but Corel really needs to debug this. Sometimes, especially on complex things like script lettering, it totally spaces out and the converted outline bears no resemblance to what had been visible on screen. Other times, when I break apart the resulting shape to delete the inner portions, the outer line will break up into dozens to hundreds of segments that would all have to be welded together.

This would be a more useful tool if it worked consistently.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Corel had an on-screen measure tool like Signlab

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illy node editing is horrible. You have to select the node perfectly which is almost impossible because that node point is so small.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Illustrator handled node editing like FontLab.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Gene Adkins:
I'd love to be able to drop a vector into Fontlab, for instance. Illustrator, I believe (have to ask Russ Mc. on this one) allows such things.

I can drag and drop between Photoshop and Illustrator, but Illustrator can't drag to Fontlab. Cutting and pasting is easy enough though. I do all my font drawing in Illustrator and paste it into Fontlab afterwards.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I really like in Flexi is that you can type text add a few effects to it if you select the text the text can be edited and all the effects that are applied will be applied to the changed text. I am not sure if it can be done in the other programs or not.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis, Photoshop will allow you to do effects on type and it will remain a "live" font until you rasterize it.

I like most things about CorelDraw, but I wish it were as stable as Illustrator. I hate it when Corel crashes.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the older versions of corel......crashed. since version 7, that crashing was fixed. i have X3 now........and never have had a crash with it.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brent - I use Illustrator for hours on end every day... I find that it has always been extremely buggy.... and no more stable than CorelDraw.

Funny how one person's experience with software can be so different than another's. Maybe system configuration somehow comes into play.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as node editing- here's my take on it ( I use both DRAW and ILL daily)

The main issue is the way objects are selected- CD has a pick tool (arrow), click on any object, and it is selected- drag a "box" around several objects and every object that is inside the box is selected- if you don't get the "box" around the entire object, it doesn't select it- once an object is selected, 9 handle points are visible that allows scaling or stretching- holding down the shift key while scaling or stretching makes everything move from the center of the object - clicking the object again changes the handles to rotate and skew- very simple and knowing how that works makes the process very fast and efficent.

Illy on the other hand uses 2 different kinds of tools to select an object or objects- the selection tool (dark arrow) will select everything on the page, or groups of objects if they are grouped- more than likely, it selects EVERYTHING- using a "box to select objects is exactly opposite from CD- anything the box touches is selected or parts of it are selected (very, very frustrating) the selection tool also generates the handles for scaling and stretching, but it does not scale from the center of the object (which is both frustrating and time consuming)

the light arrow is the direct selection tool, which allows you to select individual elements, and also activates the "nodes"- but once selected, then you have to click the dark arrow again to scale or rotate. you can also use the "free transform tool" but is another step and one wrong click and you have selected everything again.

Node editing- CD uses the "shape tool"- once an object is selected, and you click the shape tool, only the nodes of that object is selected and each one can be edited using standard vector handles.

Illy uses the direct selection tool and the nodes can be edited using the standard vector handles, just like any vector software- the irritating thing is, if the tool passes over any node from any object, it will select it- (which is both frustrating and time consuming)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as the "contour" function in CD- if the object has a lot of nodes, it will generally make lots of spikes- so if the object has a bunch of unneccessary nodes, I select some and use the "reduce nodes" feature to get it more managable.

It has been several years, but a previous version of CD (like 7 or so) had a much better contour and text on a path features.

illy has a similar contour function, but it is much more limited- called "Offset Path" but it involves a fixed measurement and several steps to ungroup it and edit it from the main object.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

drawing in CD is very easy (really easy if you can grasp node editing)

Freehand tool- can draw like a pen or pencil- then use the nodes to finetune the shape (or delete extra nodes, etc.) can be very precise because, after all, it is VECTORS

Bezier Tool- can be used like putting the nodes in key places, then select all of the nodes, convert the line to curves, then use the node handles to make precise curves ( I use this alot when I am rebuilding or tracing art)

I don't use the artistic media tool or pen tool, poly line tool very often, so I don't have much info to pass along on those.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

drawing with the pen tool in Illy is very similar, but the frustrating part comes in the editing or adding and subtracting nodes- one wrong click, and parts of the drawing are deleted instead of just the node being deleted. I have figured out how to remove a selected anchor point- which is deleting a node, but haven't figured out an easy way to add nodes to certain areas, yet.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Michael-that's why I'm not fond of Illy!
Node selection & editing is a pain!

I used to use Flexi version 5 and found that OK, but I've been with Corel for too long now to want to go back. However, I dislike the Photopaint part-I still like P'shop instead.

Old habits die hard, I guess!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Node selection is probably THEE biggest complaint among Illy users - if you don't get the pointer EXACTLY, dead-nuts onto the node... it's a mis-fire and that indeed is very frustrating.

I really like the selection of paths by simply dragging over them though... I think that is far superior to CD's.... where you have to completely marquee select an object for it to be selected.

If you happen to have another object that is within the boundaries of a larger object you wish to select... you end up always selecting objects you don't want in addition to the one you surrounded.... to me, that is very frustrating.

I like to be able to shift and touch across any portion of a path to select it... much quicker, much more precise, and just seems intuitive.

I think that Illy's offset path function is superior to Corel's in that it is more accurate and doesn't give you 5 billion nodes and crazy spikes all over the place. It isn't perfect mind-you... but I think more accurate.

What I DON'T like about Illy's path creation/outline function is that like most of Illy's functions... you can't click on a real-time up/down arrow to visually adjust the offset of the path one way or the other.... you ALWAYS HAVE to manually enter a new number entry if you didn't like the first one... HUGE pain in the keester.

CorelDraw wins in user interface and ease of use for common functions. The vertical/horizontal mirror buttons are simple and sweet... Illy's requires you set a point of reflection... and then click off to another side to flip something...which is downright queer.

Pluses and minuses in both... I wish they could blend the best of both and come up with the Vector program to end all vector programs... LOL. In my dreams....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I really like Corel's zoom in & out with the mouse scroll wheel, while I am used to the square brackets [ & ] for Illy's (and P'shop's) magnify & shrink, I really prefer the quicker mouse wheel method & wish Adobe would adopt that.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ian - that is a nice feature of CD's.

One thing I don't like about CD... and maybe it's because I'm unaware of how to make it work... is that to use the 'sticky hand' pan tool to move your screen view around, you have to click on a button in CD to do it... and then you have to click on another tool to make it stop. In Illustrator, you simply hold down the space bar to move your screen view around and release it to stop - much more efficient and fluid. That's one of the few efficient things in Illustrator...haha.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

I use the spacebar, Todd, when slowly creeping around a perimeter when editing or marqueeing it, but find in CD a zoom in shift the mouse & zoom out works quickly.

It would be nice if CD adopted the spacebar hand though.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

graham, is this what your asking for?
1.5th box down on the tool bar, is default FREEHAND TOOL.
2.in the lower right corner is a little black triangle, to open up that tab.
3. go right to the end of that tab, and its called
"dimension tool."
4. i havent figured out how to use it....but i guess its something good if your doing building plans.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Todd,

In Corel, in the "Tools" menu, under Options/Workspace/Toolbox/Pick Tool, you can select "Treat all objects as filled" and it will select anything in the area without completely enclosing it. Another useful check box is right above that, "Cross hair cursor", which I have set by default. I find cross hairs more precise than an arrow.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am finding this to be an interesting thread...I have learned a couple of things about Draw that I had never used before.

Keep the tips coming please.

I no longer use Draw for work, but still do for fun and personal stuff.

Glad this has not turned into a Illy/CD competition!!! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

in CD- select an object, hold down the left mouse button to move it, then while still holding the left down, click the right mouse button and it duplicates the object (not as tricky as it sounds) if you want to make the same duplication, multiple times, then Ctrl+R (repeat) it is useful when you want to duplicate stuff

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Todd - re- "I really like the selection of paths by simply dragging over them though... I think that is far superior to CD's.... where you have to completely marquee select an object for it to be selected."

you don't have to use the marquee tool, just use the selector tool and click anywhere on the object or path

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

I like the color selection better in CD - object selected, click a color swatch for the fill- right mouse click for outline color. you can have as many color palletes open as you want at one time- I have basic CMYK and Pantone Solid both open for my work...

This also works well with monochrome bitmaps (like tiffs)- left mouse select the "X" (no color) makes the background transparent- Right mouse selects a color for the foreground. I use this for adding quick distressed effects to designs- I have a bunch of monochrome bitmaps with various distressed designs and can add them in seconds.

Illy involves several steps to select a color or outline color, including having to select "fill" or "outline" mode first, then moving to the pallette or color model, then a seperate flyout for outline specs (I spend most of my time undoing, because I have the outline mode selected when I really want the fill selected or vice versa)

Haven't been able to recreate the monochrome bitmap trick in Illy, but it sure would be nice.
(btw- I learned that little trick, way back when desktop publishing was just starting out- Pagemaker on a Amiga computer- man I'm getting old)

Some people really have had trouble with CD color management and printing issues in the past, but I think a lot of those issues involved working in RGB, then trying to print in CMYK-- I have sent finished files all over the country to various print shops and have never had any trouble- you can't even tell the difference between a CD or Illy file when it is printed (I work with both file types daily)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I am reading, Corel seems to have the best, most natural "draw" tool as its strength.
What I also like is the zooming in and out features, which can be done thru a number of methods, using the F2 thru F4 buttons and even the mouse if you prefer. It really seems to dazzle my customers when they watch me work, but it is all very simple.

One weird thing is that corel seems to have multiple ways of doing things, especially utlizing all kinds of right mouse button shortcuts. They are sweet when you finally realize they are there. Seems you can pretty much be doing anything anywhere on a selected object and right clicking it will give you a quick shortcut to your options. Another example of multiple wayes of doing things is duplicating an object. there are 3 ways: CTRL D, PLUS sign on numeric keypad, and the mouse trick mentioned by Mr. Clanton. Or copy/paste, but that's a windows feature. Any others?

Russ is right about Fontlab. While I find it a bit clunky and it took me forever to learn to use its draw tool, there are some incredible benifits. Precision is one. You can put a node exactly where you want it, and changing its attributes is done by a simple double-click--no dropdowns, flyouts, or shortcuts (but they are there if you prefer them). You can even "page down" and "race" around the vector one highlighted node at a time until you arrive at the one you want.

Russ mentioned he can copy/paste Illy into Fontlab. It should be drag and drop, if you ask me, but blame Fontlab. Fontlab reads AI files only, so I guess that's why he can copy and paste. Corel won't copy paste or drag its vectors and files anywhere except corel, so I have to resort to old-fashioned import export in for fontlab work.

I often use corel to get my font vectors close to perfect, and then double-check and finish in Fontlab. Fontlab has a nifty ability to turn on the XY coordinates for all the nodes in a vector, a super fast way to make sure everything is positioned properly. It will also warn you if you forgot to do something stupid, like close a vector. Still, I just can't be very creative in Fontlab, especially if I want to create something from scratch. The tools are cool but slightly clunky, but I am getting better at it.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

don't think that I hate Illustrator- I use it on 3 of my Macs, and I'm getting better at it- I just don't feel quite as productive as I do using CD.

I started using CD in 1992 (version1- on a floppy disk) and have used some version of it for design and production for the last 19 years- I have only been using Illy for about 6 years, but I am using it more and more simply because of the computer systems I have switched over- I only have 1 PC with CD left in my shop, but it is right beside the newer ones and used daily.

I don't have any experience with Signlab, Flexi or any of those specific sign designing programs, I cut directly from CD since 1995 (thanks Dave Grundy for all the tips)- I have used Freehand (hated), Xara (had some neat features, but didn't output vectors very well)and even occasionally use Flash as a vector program (even it has some useful features that Illy could steal)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

mike. i taught dave grundy how its done....been doing it since 1993 with version 3 of corel........dave did a post about it on letterville.

[ August 22, 2011, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Wouldnt it be neat if you could customize any tool to fuction however you feel works best for you? That would be awesome.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ian - are you saying that you can use the spacebar to 'pan' your screen around with the 'hand' tool? Like Illustrator? If so... can you tell me how this is done? I'd like to be able to do that. Thanks!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

NO Todd, the spacebar hand panning trick seems to work witk Adobe stuff-Pagemaker, Indesign P'shop etc. Not CD.

In CD, I achieve close to the same effect by zooming in with the moise scrollwheel, then shifing the mouse, zoom out, shift the mouse again & zoom back in. That achieves a 'creeping around the object' sort of action-not as good as the space bar, but it's all done with the mousehand.

It'd be nice if CD adopted that feature from Adobe!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Joe Sciury
Visitor
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Sciury   Email Joe Sciury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Gill:

I think that Illy's offset path function is superior to Corel's in that it is more accurate and doesn't give you 5 billion nodes and crazy spikes all over the place. It isn't perfect mind-you... but I think more accurate.

Todd, you may already know this but the "miter limit" number, in the offset path function of Illy will reduce/eliminate those crazy spikes. I don't use CD so don't know if it has something similar to reduce those?

--------------------
Joe Sciury
Sign Here Graphics
East Sparta, Ohio
www.signheregraphics.net

Posts: 236 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish illy had a dimension tool like flexi or a plug in that doesn't cost the earth. Ive already spent enough on software through the years

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

JOE: CDs miter limit in the older versions of corel is iffy at best. Don't know about newer versions.

Todd: I'm almost positive there is some kind of "pan" feature in CD, I'm almost sure ... I just can't remember how to use it. But if you wanna see something weird, start dragging an object, click the spacebar once and then hold it down. If you do it right and yer version of Corel (works in 9) supports it, yer in for a wacky albeit probably useless surprise.

Are you seeing duplicates yet? You should see them "spawning" all over your screen as you drag yer item.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Gene Adkins:
Todd: I'm almost positive there is some kind of "pan" feature in CD, I'm almost sure ... I just can't remember how to use it.

You are right, you can. The same mouse scroll wheel that you use to zoom in and zoom out can be pressed down. When you do that you can pan anywhere you want.

Also, there is a little white box in the bottom right corner at the bottom and to the left of the the scroll bars. When you click on that you can quickly pan to another part of the document. I use that from time to time, But I find that just using the mouse wheel to zoom way out, then placing your cursor over where you want to zoom in to and using the scroll wheel to zoom back in, is the quickest way to get around.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Clanton:
The main issue is the way objects are selected- CD has a pick tool (arrow), click on any object, and it is selected- drag a "box" around several objects and every object that is inside the box is selected- if you don't get the "box" around the entire object, it doesn't select it...

Unless you hold the "alt" key down. When you hold your "alt" key down as you drag out a selection box, anything that touches that box is selected, not just the items within it, like when selecting things in illy.

[ August 22, 2011, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Joseph Diaz ]

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!