Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Keith Knecht

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keith Knecht
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Oatis has asked me to post the following and I could not have worded it better. The initiation he mentions is what many of you now know as the Letterhead Creed. Keith and I traveled often together and became the best of friends. I will sit down this evening to pen some notes to send to Bruce and hope you all will do the same. Kent

Everybody:

Our brother, mentor and great friend Keith Knecht is hosting a Farewell Celebration. Keith has endured many serious health challenges in recent years, and has arrived at a point of transition. He is inviting his friends in Toledo, as well as his colleagues in the sign profession to join him at a favorite local restaurant for an evening of celebration and fellowship. The time and location:

Friday August 26th 3PM - 7PM
Michael's
901 Monroe Street (Corner of Monroe and Michigan)
Toledo, OH 43624
419-241-3900

I have been in contact with Keith's brother Bruce, who is helping Keith with the planning of this wonderful gathering. Keith will love to see, and greet, everyone who can attend. And for those unable to be there in person, Bruce (and I) encourage you to send celebratory wishes, anecdotes, pictures or remembrances. These need to go via conventional mail (and hence, should be sent right away), to:

Bruce Knecht
2344 Old Stone Court Apt. 8
Toledo, OH 43614

Keith has been Ambassador Number One for our Craft for over fifty years. During his career he has worked, learned, given and shared with sign artists across the country. His boundless passion, enthusiasm and humor have inspired everyone he has worked alongside, and his talent and skills are without equal. He is a Crackerjack signpainter and showcard artist,as good as they get, and his pinstriping is gorgeous. To watch Keith "put down a strong move" (his words) on a project--well, that was a something it has been my great privilege to behold.

Keith traveled by train to Denver over thirty years ago, to attend a Letterheads meeting--our first "official" initiation was cobbled together in his honor. Keith has a lot of pals; I hope you will take the opportunity to send good wishes his way.

Yours,

Mark Oatis

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. So he is saying Goodybye, Farewell to all. Not many pople get to do this. Although I may not attend, I have to at least send a card.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one fine gentleman who has been there at the beginning of the Letterheads and supported it for all these years. It's sad to see him getting ready to say good-bye, but he will do it will class, just like he does everything else.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Klein
Visitor
Member # 6586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Klein   Email Mark Klein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad to hear.. wish I was able to go. Keith spent some time down here with us at a.m. design years back. Learned a lot from him.. a great talent and friend.

--------------------
mark klein
miami, fl
2markklein@gmail.com

Posts: 6 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a bunch of years since Keith and I got to kick at anything together. I miss him without him leaving. This is sad, happy and poignant.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to meet ,work alongside and know the man who stood head and shoulders above many.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was my honor to pick Keith up at the airport at the Kansas City meet. He entertained us from that moment on with stories of sign painting. He definitly was on the list of greats that were there. I am lucky to know him.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met Keith a couple years ago, the last time I saw him we shared a room at Detroit he is one of great guy with a lots of good stories, when we were on Detroit he gave some old books of Perry, Elgren , Bill ward just to mention a few, I was so honored and lucky to have had him as good Friend, this so sad to hear this I wish was able to go.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We plan on attending that.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a favor to ask. Please look over all your photos from early meets. Pick out those special one's of Keith and scan them. I'm going to suggest you scan at a resolution of at least 150 dpi so they are suitable for printing, as well as online.

Email the photos to Barb and we'll put together a slideshow to take along with us to Toledo. Keith has been a friend and mentor to me since 1983. Let's make sure he knows how many his life has touched.

Send your photos to barb@letterville.com

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Radoff
Visitor
Member # 4972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Radoff   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Radoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
old friend

years ago i had him come to my shop in detroit , to work on a top feul dragster ask him how that went ---it will bring a BIG SMILE .

yosemite sam

--------------------
Sam Radoff
yosemite sam's auto art
3623 springer
519-652-6956
yosemite@execulnk.com

Posts: 52 | From: Delaware, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david butler
Merchant

Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david butler   Author's Homepage   Email david butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signs of the Times magazine is where we first saw Keith's work, he and Chester Cunningham were inspirations to many of us back in the good ole days when a brush was as important to a signpainter as Wild Bill's Navy Colts were to him. In the late 80's we found ourselves with more work than we could handle, acting on the advise of David Showalter we gave Keith a call to see if he could come over and give us a hand...he did! It was great having him around here and boy did he get the work done and it looked wonderful, we learned plenty from him and one night we invited several Michiana signpainters down to spend an evening with our guest. Well that was a mistake! They stole him away from us and Keith then spent better than a month up in Elkhart painting with "those guys". He painted us a little panel before he left with an old time Sho-Card alphabet that will someday find it's home in the American Sign Museum. Susie and I will be there to help celebrate the life and times of one of the best to honor our craft.

--------------------
david butler
butler signs
syracuse,indiana
david@davidbutler.com

Posts: 188 | From: syracuse,indiana,usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Showalter
Visitor
Member # 2567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Showalter   Author's Homepage   Email David Showalter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first met Keith at the Chicago Letterhead meet. We later traveled by train to the Kansas City meet and boy what a blast that was !! On the train also was the great Al Grand who also became a dear and close friend. The train ride was almost as much fun as the meet. As you can imagine the stories of the snapers and early years were wonderful! I was just a green young sign painter then and Keith always gave me pointers on layouts , fonts and colors. I owe him alot for being there for me and showing me what good signage should look like. I am honored to call him my friend and I look forward to seeing him. Toledo Blade...see you soon!!

--------------------
David Showalter
PO box 187
Bryan,Ohio 43506

Posts: 11 | From: Bryan, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I will email these as well but the one pic is of my mom with Keith in Fl in '1985.

-
 -

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I could be there. Since I'll be having surgery the day before, I'll probably be so buzzed on pain meds I won't know I'm not there.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Anderson
Resident

Member # 2085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith and I have been friends for a long time, he would call quite often in the 80's to offer encouragement. He would prop me up many times when I wondered if I was doing anything worthwhile, so maybe I can now return the favor. I will see you there. Thanks Keith for keeping my spirit alive! Gary Anderson

--------------------
Bloomington Design
Gary Anderson
Bloomington, IN

Posts: 15 | From: Bloomington, IN USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at a small local car about 3 hrs north of Toledo show a couple years ago and saw a 1960 or so vette with all that metal flake and geometric panel paint so popular way back when, faded, cracked and chipped, and some really beautiful pinstriping, and guess what signature I found? geez I hope they never repaint it!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!