Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » sign business as a career

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sign business as a career
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 12 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly cannot think of any other business that I could have possibly landed in that has offered me the security, satisfaction and lifestyle that the sign business has. Working for the "man" in another sign company back in the late 80s I had no idea where that start would have taken me.

The progression of the industry. The equipment I would get to use and the skills to not only just do signs but brochures, logos, designing wrought iron patterns for fences, wedding invitations, etc. You follow me, I'm sure. Who would have thought this could branch out to so many other aspects of anything involving type and or pictures and layouts.

I say this because through the last 4 years of this absolute living we have all been thru with the economy, it's nice to emerge from the other side having the thoughts that "I made it!" while so many other sign shops closed.

I bitch, complain and fuss about customers, competition and whatever else is under the sun but I have always loved this area of work. There are too many people in this world that get up dreading going to their job, to me that's is a sick way to spend a short life, hell yes I would do it again!!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take it for as long as I can! I've been out straight and business is good...even in a bad economy. I suppose its because other people actually have to market themselves in difficult times....and we are the go to folks! yeah for us!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
44 years ago I went to work for a sign shop ... after 4 months branched out on my own ... and said good bye to the corporate world.

I have enjoyed every minute of it and profited well enough to retire! (Except that I still do some jobs for old customers.)

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would almost be perfect, if they could only invent a brush with spell-check in it!

Seriously, I left a 90k a year job as manager of a Chevy store, 22 years ago, to try my hand at window splashes. Everyone thought I was half nuts. I have proven to all of them that their estimate of 'half' was only half right.

I do not have a store front. No employees and when things slow down, so do the expenses. Very low stress and now, many very loyal clients. It really is not just about talent, but more about giving reliable service and of course, staying involved with all of you here on Letterville!

Retirement? No way. I retired 22 years ago and this is hardly work. I held fast to the 3 rules: no stress, have fun and make money!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went to school for sign painting realizing then it was what I truly wanted to do and also till un-able and it is the greatest type of work least amount of stress, enjoyable by leaps, customers are the best, payment is quick, demand is strong.

How can you ask for anything better then that/

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si? Older than you clients? Wow! xxx

Bruce, oh so true!

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double post, sorry

[ July 29, 2011, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Elaine Beauchemin ]

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elaine ... most of my customers are now retired or deceased and the companies are run by the sons of my original customers!

[I Don t Know]

[ July 30, 2011, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my only regret.........is i didnt start early enough!!!!! sorta))) i was taught sign painting in my early years 10-14, by 1st a "shakey jake" who showed up at my parents bar one day, with a 52 4 doored buick painted emerald green 1shot, yellow and silver lettering all over it. this was his office, home, and work vehicle. and he was so talented. my parents told me i would never amount to anything doin THAT kinda work. well...i listened to my parents and dabbled with the sign painting/art .........WHILE doin the "JOB" schit.
construction labor(dad was one)steel mill worker(get a job, work 20 years retire) military. all thw while wanting to be like the guy in 52 buick.
1986, i had..HAD IT........WITH JOBS!!!! seems all the bosses i ever had was all dumber then me!
and why was i wasting my life doin stuff i didnt really like? 1986, i got FIRED for the 1st time since i had been doing "jobs." i was done. dug out my brishes and few cans of 1 shot, got in my car and went lookin for SIGN WORK!!!! like i said my only regret is i didnt do it earlier. made good money, worked less hours, everyday was something new. diffident people places and vehicles/buildings/windows. wife was happy when i would give her rubies, emerald rings which i would take as payment for painting a pawn shop window/sign. and still got money + rings))))))
the plotter was just coming into play, but most who had one was charging way more then i did for paint. of course i didnt have a $30k investment in equipment and supplies, just my brush box and paints!!!!! iam still painting.........will till the pry the brush from my cold dead hand))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!