Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Holy moley.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holy moley.....
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call last week from a guy opening up a tavern. He had already gone to the quickie-stickie shop and had them to design his logo.

As my niece would say....it would gag a maggot.

Naturally, he needs a sign and the only ones he liked turned out to be ones we did.

Anyhow, he hands me a copy of the maggot-infested logo and wants me to draw something up that looks appropriate to the tavern. Naturally, it would have been better if the logo was appropriate but I do what I can.

Normally, I require a sketch deposit but I didn't ask for one as I didn't intend to spend any time on it nor did I expect to get the job anyway.

He calls this morning. Loves it. I figured up a price and added another $500 to it because I really don't want to be associated with maggot-infected logos.

Apparently, $500 wasn't enough.

He came in happy as a lark and paid for the whole thing in advance. All $2200 of it.

Sigh....I can't win.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just did!!! [Wink]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of gagged maggots, does he use the tequila with the worm in the bottle?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gagging Maggot? I think I got tossed out
of that bar once.

It also sounds like one of those signs that
B.C. Dan would make, and they would be lined
up around the block to buy the sign, and the rights to the name.

[ July 07, 2011, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Sandy Baird ]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy does nice work. IT will not gag maggots.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a good problem to have Glenn!
(not the gagging part maybe...but the extra 5 bills!)

[ July 08, 2011, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I liked about the Pin Stripeing business.They always left nice tips,,,

Naturally,they always got more than they expected !

[ July 08, 2011, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: jack wills ]

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is what the client gave me....

-

Here is what is there now....

-

He wants to turn the corner into an entrance way. So this is the plan....

-

-

A simple arch is to be mounted between the columns and be given a distressed appearance. The sign panel itself will rest on supports. The "logo" will be fabricated out of HDU. The leaf will be covered in copper leaf and given a green patina. The sign will also be distressed and made to appear as though its been there for a while.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

BTW, while the panel is going to be painted the grain needs to be raised to help with the distressed effect. Enter Doctor Who.....

http://tardisbuildersforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tutorials&action=print&thread=255

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night and day black and white wow beautiful.

? are you going to continue down the pillars.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Unfortunately no. I'm hoping he'll put some potted bushes or even a climbing vine like a Carolina Jasmine or a Clematis in front of the columns to help frame out the entryway.

The area to the left is going to be fenced off a bit and turned into a sidewalk cafe of sorts.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice looking archway! Sure does bring an upscaled look to the overall environment.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Camoly Glenn! You turned that maggot into a flutterby,.......... I mean butterfly! And I would be willing to bet he might not even notice some teaking, like maybe changing the O to be just a little bigger, or kerning it a wee bit closer to the a. Or kerning the a close enough to the k so the weight doesn't vary quite a much. Or reshping the a to be a little wider perhaps? Sometimes it can make a big difference and the client wouldn't even have a clue. Now add some patina oak leaf panels all around the bottom edge of the building front and you will take away from the maggot again, to the tune of another how many thousand.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Glenn!

(Can you rotate the leaf so it's more upright than falling? To me the falling leaf sort-of implies business is falling...etc etc)

Very nice though!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Flutterby. Hehehe...I like that word, Deri. [Smile]

Ian, I wish I could. I'm still trying to figure out what the "designer" was thinking. The "O" was intentionally made smaller than the "A" for some reason and just standing there all by its lonesome.

At least this project will be a welcome change from doing websites and t-shirts.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The designer was anticipating your response when you saw his work...

"Oh!... Ack!"

"Please leaf the logo design to me!"

[ July 08, 2011, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks really good- not a maggot in site!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Glenn charge extra for the ugly factor and get it! [Applause] Of course sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. [Wink]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to look at Glenn, it really fits the building; clean, relaxed, modern with a 3-d simply exquisite logo, not too busy but has a lot of character! Even the word Oak stands for a hardwood that is timeless and sturdy.

I'm thirsty now.

[ July 10, 2011, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!