Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » iPad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPad
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About ten days ago I purchased an iPad. It has been on my wish list since they first came out. My intent was to use it as a digital portfolio primarily. When I downloaded the images onto the iPad I found they were brilliant and crisp. It was better than I expected. Selecting and going through then is easy and intuitive. SO VERY COOL!

As I travelled I found the iPad a wonderful tool to check my emails and do a little surfing as I waited for planes. I could also use facetime to video conference with Janis at home. And it was free too!

Last night I decided to try my hand at a little drawing on the iPad. I downloaded two drawing apps - Procreate and Sketchbook Pro from the Apple store. It took seconds and both self installed. The apps were less than ten bucks each. I wanted to test drive both before I invested a bunch of time getting proficient. I noodled around for a few seconds and then did a quick drawing on each - less than ten minutes each.

Both apps supported layers, brush sizes, transparency and other features. Both were very similar in how they operated although the interfaces were a little different.

The first drawing done in Procreate was this one. I used six layers and simply layered each color on before adding another layer. I could save the drawing with layers or not and could export it with a tap of my finger. Nifty.
 -

The second drawing was done using Sketchbook Pro. It too was done with six layers. Like Procreate I could save it with layers intact if I wished and export it effortlessly to other devices.
 -

Now I'll spend a little time with each program before settling on one... I think I know which way I'm leaning but I won't reveal it yet.

As a portfolio the iPad excels. It is the perfect traveling companion and I enjoy it when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV. It looks to be useful for generating quick sketches which can be easily exported to my other devices.

The iPad is an awesome little device - perfect for the uses I plan for it. It won't replace my laptop, nor desktop but it has it's place for sure.

-grampa dan

[ July 03, 2011, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using mine for a year Dan and would agree with your sentiments. As a portfolio, it's an excellent means of showing off our work. I certainly use mine a lot more than my laptop except during the workmday of course. Probably it's best feature is the range of apps available meaning it is customisable to suit each persons different needs. I like to watch lots of sport during the winter months so I get all the sky sport stations live on it.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked at getting one to do caricature portraits- there are some great stylus' out there to really get the full effect. Maybe before the end of the year...

our church's music leader recently got one and uses as a digital music stand- has 2 foot pedals to track thru all the chord charts- clips on a mic stand and he has everything at his fingertips- including the complete music library that is stored on another computer up in his office- a couple of clicks and he can get to anything...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a new pencil sharpener last week. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sketch club and Art Studio woill round out your art apps nicely. Lot of squiggly lines in Sketch club.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, was it a cordless one?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

I won an IPAD from some sales I had and used it for my online classes for it to speak to me. Then the safari somehow got undone and I am hoping to get some help getting it back online.

But they are really awesome!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it interesting how attitudes change with time. I originally mentioned an iPad here twelve months back and they were mainly poo pood. Suppose the same could be said of mobile phones and fax machines through the years.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are slow to adapt. Some never do...

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Dan,

I have been using an iPad here for a while now. Rarely take my laptop on the road anymore. I also bought one for my lovely wife Brenda to use.

I would suggest trying the full blown version of Sketchbook Pro. At least go out and watch some of the rendering videos on Youtube. We use Sketchbook Pro for new product ideation.

I use my iPad along with an Apple TV unit...the ipad has an App called remote that controls whatever is on the tv....movies, iTunes. I also use it a lot for watching movies on Netflix. People were saying...why don't you just get a netbook. Because they do not do half the stuff that I do with my iPad.

Great little devices.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love so many things about them but I still have a need for being able to view Flash websites at times. Is there anything yet for Apple to translate Flash applications?

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not going to replace a regular computer with one.
Mine is used for taking out on jobs for estimating, great tool for archiving the estimates also.
Bookkeeping on this would not work as well and no real designing either. Fun to draw and sketch though.

So yes, for most I would poo poo it and advise to keep your laptop. the android tablets have better multitasking capabilities though.

I am not sure what Mr. Pickett means about slow to adapt, to what? Quit listening to the gadget messiah , these are not life changing devices just well marketed consumer electronics.

Finally Apple got it right in the competetive pricing area on the Ipad with more applications then any rival. Never seen that before.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, there are web browsers for the iPad that can translate Flash into HTML5 on-the-fly but they only work for video, not applications.

I'm looking forward to the iOS5 update due out in July which will make the iPad (and iPhone, iPod Touch) completely independent from computers. They're adding the ability for all updating and synching to happen over wireless via iCloud, and there will be no need to plug into a computer ever again.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Another great use I found for the iPad is using an app called evernote for logging job details. Can store photos measurements etc and gets synced back to your mac. Proved very useful at trade shows. Take a photo of stands products and business cads. Everything nicely organised and easy to find months later in portfolio setup

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also wanted to mention that you can buy a pocket size projector for the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad...

If you want to project a slideshow of your work or watch a movie up to 50 inches wide you can use the little Pico Pocket projector....they are battery powered, about the size of a cell phone and work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-EP-PK-101-PICO-Pocket-Projector-/dp/B001L4L7AQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309810595&sr=8-4

to Amy....I really haven't missed the whole flash thing. There are specific Apps that run video and such. If I really have to see a flash site I just remote into my desktop computer and run it on there.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, are you using LogMeIn Ignition or do you have some other sweet remote desktop app?

I'm using LogMeIn and they added a cool file transferring feature to their App where you can drop any type of file from any of your computers/devices listed on your account. While using the iPad you can copy the files to the iPad or put them onto any other computer/device on your account, remotely.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Hey Mike...

I've used both Splashtop Remote Desktop and Desktop Connect with some success.

Perhaps I should give the LogMeIn version A try.....sounds like a good one.

Maybe we start a list of favorite Apps?

How about Mobile Monet HD....a fun photography filter.
Ted....Education
Planetary....a cool way to play your tunes!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Mine would be sky mobility, 1 password, flipboard, ipad folio, evernote. My family all use iPad a lot and they would of course have a completely different list.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything with cloud in it is the nemesis of all times.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian - of course it was cordless. It doesn't have to depend upon electricity at all. It has a little handle on the side that you turn and just like magic, it sharpens the pencil. I'm trying to keep up with all the new technology.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a chance to see Dale's mini projector in person this spring. Very cool device. Is there a powerpoint app for the iPad? I would think that would be extremely useful.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Hey Joe,

Keynote is about as close to powerPoint as I have found.

I used Keynote to do the slideshow at our wedding. The iPad version is sort of a light version of the iWork suite. Limited number of templates and transitions.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale....I'm delighted you know about TED !! My son-in-law is Production Engineer for TED Conferences. Daughter also free-lances for them.

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!