Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Next issue, Cannot laminate anything without wrinkles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next issue, Cannot laminate anything without wrinkles
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 63" cold laminator that I purchased from Sign Suppy USA about four years ago. It has never worked correctly or I am a total idiot.

No matter what I do I cannot laminate without wrinkles. The roll is dead center, the paper take up is dead center with the roll. I quit using kraft paper years ago as it made things even worse.

I am using Oracal 210 laminate. I have verified over and over that it is loaded right. Messed with the tensioning and still it bites me in the butt.

It starts off fine and then boom, it starts to wrinkle in a diagonal pattern from right to left which almost always ruins the print. It seems like the rubber roller is not correct or something.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have 40 prints to laminate and I have not idea what to do.

Anyone want to buy a laminator? This has been a long stressful week!

[ June 26, 2011, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the laminate older than 12 years? [Confused]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha Sandy!

I should add that I am using 30" wide laminate as I only have a 30" printer!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy ... it has been years since I used one ... but it sounds like you are correct.

One side of the roller has more pressure that the other.

Without being there to see it in action ... I can't tell you whether to add pressure or less pressure. One or the other should solve the wrinkle problem.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Helliar
Resident

Member # 398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Helliar   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Helliar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,

Until you can get your rollers adjusted properly, try sheet laminating. A bit slower for that volume but almost error free.

Difficult to explain but the video explains it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ubtb1RV7k

--------------------
Ron Helliar
Marysville Sign
11807 51st Ave. NE
Marysville, WA 98271
(360) 659-4856

Posts: 263 | From: Marysville, WA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please don't tell me its a Daige...if it is...just throw that piece of shyt out. How is your humidity. I have to keep mine low.
Having the right laminator is KEY...especially if you ever use controltac...who can afford accidents with the cost of that material!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Well for whatever reason, I turned the tension all the way off on the bar that takes up the laminate backing paper and it worked like a champ.

Karyn, it's not a Daige. Weighs about 800 lbs I think! Sold by Sign Supply under their name about four years ago. I think it is a renamed Dingtec.

Good to go for now. Thanks for the replies!

[ June 27, 2011, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

quote:
Originally posted by Amy Brown:
Well for whatever reason, I turned the tension all the way off on the bar that takes up the laminate backing paper and it worked like a champ.

Karyn, it's not a Daige. Weighs about 800 lbs I think! Sold by Sign Supply under their name about four years ago. I think it is a renamed Dingtec.

Good to go for now. Thanks for the replies!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Daige 54" and have great success with it. Another hmmmmm...........

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Daige as well. I'm not having any problems. The key is to make sure both rollers are parallel to each other. If not, you're going to have issue.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!