Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cable modem turns itself off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cable modem turns itself off
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gurus!

I'm running a Motorola cable modem (which connects to a wireless router) for the net.

Recently the modem is flicking itself off at random. It started happening only when my son and I were both using the net at the same time. (two diff computers) Now it seems to happen when my computer screen is inactive for awhile.

I've done a little reading and haven't really gotten anywhere. Could be a modem needing replacing, could be overheating (??) could be software issues. I don't see a reset button on mine which is another read.

Any suggestions? This running up and down stairs and having the net unreliable is getting old.

Thanks!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be the time out settings in the modem but if this is something that it's never done before, and has just started, it probably just needs replacement.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike! I think I found the cause but don't really get it.

I googled how to tweak the timeout settings but on the mac, it checked out to be automatic. I decided to reset the connected router instead.

Which led to removing my secured password. Which had me reinstalling that (no small feat for me) and having to retweak my computers to read the new info. (I love google)

After much fiddling it appears to be working! And not only that, the net uploading time is much faster now too.

So... if all else fails, reset the router I guess.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, for what it's worth in the future, instead of hitting the reset button just unplug the modem and router for 30 secs and then plug back in. All your custom settings will be retained. That usually works for me.

In the past 15+ years I have been online my internet providor has replaced 2 modems for me at no charge when "re-booting" didn't work.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind... my plan didn't work long term. [Frown]

Dave, it's an internet circus these days. I have to run downstairs, unplug the modem and router, replug in the modem, wait, plug in the router, then go upstairs AND reboot.

NOTHING else works.

I'll be looking into a modem replacement to see if that helps. Strange thing is all the lights on the two components work and show as normal.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna ... call the tech line of your service provider.

They will check it out and help you to set it up properly or if necessary ... replace the modem.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Thanks Si, already did. And glad I did! They now have a modem/router combo in one that is free with an updated cable package that is faster and way cheaper than the one I'm on now. Plus it came with an extra HD box. And a service call included. [Smile]

Well now... that call was worth it!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go girl! Glad it came out so well for you, we all need a break once in a while. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!