Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Another Little Painting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Little Painting
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another little imaginary scene using photoshop brushes...I'm trying to incorporate some landscapes into my signwork but no takers yet.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Rusty! Any chance of a step by step?

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to go there!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'On Golden Pond'..... very nice Rusty... yeah, howz about doing us a favor and showing a step-by-step on this.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce...no step by step possible...sometimes I'll use a portion of one of my prior paintings to begin with for raw material to build a new composition...I usually start off with no idea of where I'm going...I grab a brush and just start making random strokes of light and dark color...eventually something begins to suggest a sky...a hill...a river...so I follow that lead until something else is suggested...I'm working fast and following a feeling...pulling images out of my memory at random until something feels right...I really enjoy the freedom I experience...it's so different from the preciseness of sign making.

Here's another...this one evolved from the one above...you will notice the same palette and a bit of the same sky.

-

[ June 01, 2011, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful Rusty I hope you get to paint one on a sign in the near future!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes me want to strap on a backpack and journey to that place in your mind... as long as I don't have to get on your ladder!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

The one above evolved into the one below...using the same raw material I simply moved it around til something tiggered off in my head..and voila'...a new waterfall composition.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theses are just magical, incredible and truly fine works Rusty! I'm totally Photoshop illiterate…so; this is all done on a computer? ………There is no hand to brush, brush to paint, and that physical feel of brush to canvas? These are like 18th century paintings, that intense lighting, rich tones of earthy color………….just wonderful to see !

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Rusty!

The key to getting your clients to order a sign with this type of wonderful illustration is to do a sample of such a sign for your own showroom. Show it in your portfolio and on your website too.

Build it and they will come!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to sit and watch you do one of these....they have a depth, a real spiritual tone to them.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are damn fine paintings.I had no idea a person cd do that sort of thing with photoshop. Do you actually "mix" your colors, like adding a little red to the ocher you've got on the "brush", or is a matter of picking specific single colors from a palette chart?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you got any of your paintings -- the kind done with "vintage" brushes -- online?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, that's some nice work......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see no room for improvement.Great work, let us see more.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful, just beautiful. [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing work. I really admire you expressing the process and what is happening inside you. Whatever it is that "speaks" to you is a gift and I'm glad that you have it.

Looking forward to seeing much more. You are inspiring others to let loose of what may be hidden inside them.

Rather than trying to analyze, you simply allow the passion inside you to be released. How fortunate you are.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Browning
Visitor
Member # 9116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Browning   Email John Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rusty,
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. They are very pleasing to the eye and have a comforting/ soothing effect even in this small format. You are extremely talented.

--------------------
John Browning
JBG John Browning Graphics
439 East St
Hebron CT

Posts: 75 | From: Hebron Ct | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I'm proficient with only a few of the Photoshop tools...but I have used them enough that they now have become second nature...I'm just beginner in digital landscape painting but my brain has been recording images all my life...the fun is getting in a zone to access those images and then convey them with some emotion...I appreciate the kind remarks you folks have made...I've not attempted an actual "paint on canvas" painting as of yet...other than some related things associated with sign work...but nothing really serious...I have a friend who is a landscape painter...he thinks I can make the transition from digital to actual paint on canvas without a great deal of difficulty...I know there will be dues to pay...just as there was a learning curve with the tools in Photoshop...but like my friend says...you can learn those things with a little practice...but the most important thing you bring to the canvas is how you see and feel about the world...and can you convey that feeling to the viewer...starting this month I will be semi-retired..."semi" because my SS check is so little...but still that will afford me some extra time to pursue my new found interest in landscape painting...which is less than a year old

[ June 02, 2011, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful work Rusty.

I was wondering if you have ever tried to work in Corel Painter? Just curious as to how much different the tools are?

I've never tried a painting of this much detail in the digital format.....but after seeing your work....I'd love to give it a go.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Rusty. Glad to see you're going to dive in to some real painting.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with a brush in your hand. Looks like a whole new life for semi-retirement.

Keep us posted.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, those are beautiful. It's hard to believe they are done on a computer. Your colors are fantastic. This is the first time I've heard of someone going from digital to paintbrush. It's usually the other way around. Looking forward to seeing more of your landscapes.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dale...I've only worked in Photoshop 7.0 but I would think Corel would have comparable tools...if it helps I can give you the Photoshop tools I used to paint the above pics:

1.brush tool...here I can set my opacity level
and brush size
2.eye dropper...for matching a color on screen.
3.color picker...pick any color under the rainbow
for your brush.
4.dodge and burn...control lightness and darkness.
5. smudge...I draw with this the most
6. blur...for blending colors together
7.clone...for copying an area and blending
8. contrast
9. selection...I can work on only the area I
have selected.
10. view...zooming in and out as I work...way out to get a good feel of composition balance...and of course zoomed in to work on detail.

I would think Corel would have tools that would do these functions.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Rusty - are all these effects on one layer or do you use multiple layers to get the "glow"?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Beautiful work, Rusty.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Raymond...I haven't even gotten into layers...so this is all one layer...I'm sure when I learn layers I'll be kicking myself for not having learned them earlier...I might have posted this one before...cant remember...I must have 20 or more of these little guys...this one is a different palette...more cool colors.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful work Rusty. Thanks for sharing. This is the sort of thing we'd love to get back to here in Letterville. If you guys have anything new or cool, keep your camera or camcorder close by and record a step by step.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Nice Rusty!!!

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Rusty, can you get tight with the photoshop tools? Frinstance tightening up the foreground grasses in that last one, if you wanted to.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant stuff Rusty. Presume you're using some sort of tablet with photoshop. If I can figure out where to start, I'm gonna have a go at this. I live in a quiet country area with some great scenery, stone cottages etc

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you guys want some photoshop painting tutorials the guy to google is Bert Monroy. I took one of his seminars a couple of years ago and he's a great teacher.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you know, I have produced some 850 brush landscapes and this work is stunningly beautiful, Rusty. Selling digital work is virtually impossible, though any real art gallery, unless they are some specialty place. If you could do some of these printed on metal or wood panels and added some brush work over them, I bet you could sell a bunch of them, as long as no one understood the process that well. Art buyers like seeing the real brush efforts infinitely more. Santa Fe would go gaga for them.

There is a local woman here who does this sort of thing in printing on dibond or aluminum panel..She shows at various art meets and does quite well. I recall her name is Chris Dahlquist. Go run a Goog on her and I bet you can see her work. Still, you work is better! Albert Bierstadt or George Inness feel for sure. I have heard people refer to work like this as Luminist or Northern Hudson River School. Sunsetty, dark, rich in color and very inspiring... Keep at it!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dennis...for all the good things I been able to do in Photoshop very fine detail has eluded me...if it's there I haven't found it yet...so everything I'm doing will have a slight impressionistic feel to it...which really is ok with me.

Kevin...I'm still using the old fashioned mouse...with the tablet and pen I understand you have much more control...more like actual drawing...however I have a theory about how the mouse might actually be better in landscape painting than the pen...it all has to do with less control being better...my brain wants to organize and fit things together too neatly...even though I am aware of this fact it's hard to over ride...with the mouse there is a certain randomness...like we find in nature...that I might not ever get if I was in total control of each stroke...and of course with the history and delete functions I can selectively choose which of these random strokes I want to keep...it might even be the accident I choose that points me in a new direction that was unintended.

Preston...thanks...I looked her up...she doing things with photos...a mixed media thing...pretty neat...I think I'm more interested in going the traditional oil on canvas...you mention the Hudson River School...although I have never painted...I have always been drawn to the Hudson River School for the reverence and awe of nature they portray in their paintings.

[ June 04, 2011, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a mouse? Now you mock us. Hard to believe and I do a lot of digital painting myself.
Great work.

I thought the same about the Hudson river school influence.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Rusty, you're right about the random business, but I bet you'd do better with the traditional tools. You're obviously a real artist -- dont know how you cd have come this far without ever having a go at regular oil painting -- and with the brushes you've got the randomness and the control right in your hand all the time. Google up Bierstadt (he was the first one that came to my mind also) and take a look at his Surveyor's Wagon in the Rockies. It's in the St. Louis Museum.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!