Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » In Case You're Wondering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In Case You're Wondering
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you're wondering why I've been on Letterville so much lately making the fool of myself...it's because I've had alot of spare time on my hands...why you wonder...yep...every signman's nightmare...LADDER ACCIDENT...haven't been able to lift either arm above shoulder level for 3 weeks now...and my wrists and hands...well with pain I can barely depress the handle on my car door and escape this place...you know "cabin fever" begins to set in after a while...anyway nothing broken...just a bunch of tendon and ligament damage...without the pain medication I cry alot [Frown] ...I tried going without it for a day...I was such a cry baby Donna had to leave the house...at 62 you just don't recover as fast as you once did...but I'm getting special treatment and have no house chores...I could get used to this real easy...let's see how long I can stretch this out and get away with it. [Wink]

[ May 29, 2011, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't sound like fun to me Rusty. I hope you are fully mended soon.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to hear that- hope you get well soon

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's my worst fear Rusty. Was it a high fall?

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does not sound like any fun Rusty. I hope you feel better real soon. Are you doing any physical therapy to speed the process, or is it one of those things where you just need to not strain and let time heal?

In any event, I'll be praying for your recovery. [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mend well Rusty. Let's get some young guys on the ladders now.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In April of 04, I fell 18 feet when the extension ladder slipped loose at the bottom. The asphalt was at an angle both ways and I had built a heavy plywood base to level it, but it slipped loose on the oily asphalt. No recollection of the fall at all. Knocked me out. Broke my glasses and two black eyes. I came to and the ambulance was there. Trip to the emergency room...$18,000. They said they thought I had had a heart attack, so they wanted to run alot of tests...No heart attack, just stupid judgement on my part. That was a grand a foot!

I was ten minutes away from finishing the week long project and as soon as I was sprung from the hospital, was right back up there finishing it up, but with some better base (pick up bed).

I was lucky. Had insurance and lived to tell about it. Always think serously before you do anything strange or different ion a ladder.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's terrible stuff for sure, all the best Rusty, you'll be doing wedgies to people in no time!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fell off a 30 foot ladder once ... lucky that I was on the 1st rung!

[Eek!] [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for all the good words...and Si...that's the best one I've heard today.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch.... Mend well.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god your fingers and eyes are ok. Get well soon Rusty!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well soon, Rusty. I hope you realize now that there are better ways to take a vacation. [Smile]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took a fall off a 12', one of those ladders with the adjustable joints in it. one of the joints near the top gave out, i felt it, i had a can of paint in one hand and a brush in the other. i knew if i fell into the ladder i darn sure would break something. i was in my mid 30's and still in good shape. when i was in the air force i had a freind who was a gymnast. he got me working on the bars, and some floor work. so i could do rolls and flips with some grace. this is whati did when the ladder broke. i threw the paint and brush, kicked off the ladder, hit the ground on my shoulders, and immediately as i hit, i kicked over into a reverse roll and bounced up on my feet!!!!!!! other wise i woulda broke a shoulder or worse. guy that i was doin the sign also owned the ladder, he comes over and saya.."can you do that again?" i told where to stick his junk ladder and went home. i hurt for a couple days then took my ladder(werner) and finished the job.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have paid good money to see that 'ninja' move OP.... quick thinking!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the back side of a broken elbow myself, yes from a fall, Rusty. At 51 I'm pretty sure I'll not be exactly the same again but all things considered it turned out well. Guys and gals I know that as business owners we may opt out of carrying Workers comp. Ins. on ourselves. I carried it on myself and it paid 100% of the medical. We would have been up poop creek without it. Do not count on it to cover lost wages if you return to work in any capacity though. I guess they figure if your well enough to sell on the phone you are smart enough to hire out the production role that you had previously filled yourself. I could go on about the friends who filled the gaps and how nearly every job that came through the door were ones that my wife and her gimp husband could manage. How we did not get behind because of understanding clients. How in the few months just before we had been paid pretty well on some things for the first time since the downturn and had some solid cash flow. But I would be turning this thread into another Faith based discussion. I'm grateful.
We love you, Rusty. Mend and grow.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Rusty, sorry to hear that. It is so scary to hear these stories. Letsee...my advice is to take glucosamine/condroitin to help rebuild those tissues. My second bit of advice is to be patient with the healing process. It may seem that you're never going to get better but ever so slowly there will be improvement.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a fall off a 16' step ladder once. I was up pretty high on it. Everything sure goes in slow motion. I opted to jump and roll just before hitting the ground. I guess that parachute training paid off, as I didn't get hurt. Thankfully it was soil, not asphalt or concrete.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember as a kid I was going up on my roof, to check out a leak, I was really nervous, basically 2 and a half stories, when I got to the top, I leaned in and grabbed the chimney, and a brick cracked off in my hand almost sending me backwards, I always hated ladders since then.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fell from the top of an 8ft. ladder right into the arms of a 24 hour high of a tweaker who saw it happening from across the room

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, I need a translation to Texan...what is a "tweaker"?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tweaker

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope you are better soon, Rusty!...yeah I hate ladders...that's why I don't do installs which involve getting up high on a ladder.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREETINGS FROM SUNNY MICHIGAN!!

I took my tumble in 1997 off a flimsy aluminum ladder. Smashed L1 & L4. Better today, limited mobility. I just avoid ladders. [Smile] I experienced cabin fever for 6 months! BRUTAL!!

My son got married just 5 weeks after the fall. I danced at his wedding! Wasn't much good after that tho. [Smile] It was worth it too!

Hang in there, Rusty. You now have an official "sign guy ladder story" to tell

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I jumped off a ladder one time. I was about twenty feet up, removing large reverse channel letters. I pulled one off that had a wasp nest inside. As they attacked, I screamed and got stung inside the mouth. I threw that letter as far as I could, came down the ladder several rungs at a time and leaped off the last third. I was less than half the age I am now. If I tried a stunt like that today, Rusty would be a gymnast in comparison. Of course, nowadays, I'd be subbing out the higher ladder work.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tisha S Sullivan
Visitor
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tisha S Sullivan   Email Tisha S Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well, Rusty, and thanks for reminding me why I don't do installations.

--------------------
Tisha Shaughnessy-Sullivan
Shamrock Sign & Lettering Co.
50 Billings Ave Medford, Ma

SignCo57@aol.com

Posts: 31 | From: Medford, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!