Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Recovering 13 years of lost data

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recovering 13 years of lost data
Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Windows msg saying one of my mirrored drives in my PC was degraded but could be rebuilt on a non-RAID drive. I had our Computer IT company tech over to take care of it. He allowed the computer to do this...but it took all the data on my C drive and wrote it over my internal F drive which is a Terrabyte drive holding my old archived jobs.

Now all those jobs are gone. He tried to "scrub" the F drive and managed to recover about 15% of the old jobs...but the others are gone or not readable Flexi jobs. He then took the drive to a forensic data recovery company and they were unable to recover the data. I don't know how expert this other company was. My question to you all is...Do any Letterheads have experience with a Data Recovery Company who is really exceptional at their craft? I would appreciate any referrals. Thanks

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule #1......always make backups before doing anything to a hard-drive. Your IT guy should have known better.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a friggin idiot.. What a moron. Scrub a drive. That is for the lamest of IT techs.

He should pay for this. This is not a failure of your hardware. This is incompetence. Pure and simple.

There is no way recovering a drive should ever over right a legal folder or file. Demand he get this taken care of. He is fully responsible for this mistake.

As for a recovery company. There are plenty on the web. Personally I have never had to use one. But they are expensive.

If the forensic company cannot recover those files then they are truly gone. That is if he took it to a "real" recovery expert.
I think he took it to his own place and saw it was a lost cause beyond his ability and knew it was goona cost him a grand to get your stuff back.

A real IT tech would have made a ghosted drive and then did his recovery. That is a standard step.

These types of IT Techs make me puke. I am glad to be getting out of it. It is full of lamers just like the lamest of vinyl jockeys.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to self:
Back up all my pic and sales files to the exterior drive and make a DVD copy...Do it ASAP

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told a friend of mine about this. He's supersmart and knows computers. He sez:

"How horrid! Yeah, the guy definitely messed up. It's a rookie mistake to mess up a RAID mirroring target.

Assuming there haven't been still more overwrites done to the drive, I have a recommendation for a data recovery group. They're called Ontrack Data Recovery and they're at http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

They are VERY good at what they do. They're also lavishly expensive. I had to send a drive to them that someone had overwritten and they got nearly everything back, but it set us back about $4000."

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only used one recovery service, but it was determined to be a physical drive failure- meaning that the data part of the disc was ripped to pieces- I was not able to recover anything, so they did not charge me... I would definately take it to a good one- 13 years of files would be almost priceless to me, so even $4000 would be worth it if they could recover anything... just bill the moron IT guy

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hes an IT guy! I have people bring me computers after talking to IT guys. Idiot. probably not but he should have known better. after this experience always remember back up the back up and then back that up.

yep I would hit the internet and find a service, if hes gonna pay for it

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops dbl post,...

[ May 05, 2011, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy should not be allowed to call himself a tech,..if the original two drives were mirrored using raid 1 then either of the two drives contained the same info,...all the idiot had to do is copy the files off the good drive to another to back it up and the info should have remained on the existing good drive intact,...this is the very foundation of data protection with raid 1 it makes an exact copy of the data on two identical drives so if one fails you have another to retrieve the data,...that is as long as raid 1 was used,..if raid 0 was used all the data on both drives would be lost as the raid 0 stripes the data across two drives for performance and there is no redundancy half a file is written to two different drives in pieces parts on each,..if raid 1 was used when you rebuild the mirrored drive the new drive will have to be the same size as the original or larger,..then when it is rebuilt it will appear the same size even if it is physically larger the raid controller will only use the amount of space that is used on the original drive and it will not let you see the other portion

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if you will or can go this route or not but I used Hard Drive 911 in the past and they were able to recover 95% of my data. Then again that was a hard drive media failure not a mental error.

good luck

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT techs are not repair techs wither. They are Information Technology. They are not GEEKS.

IT techs are the same as Graphics artists who just graduated from Graphic artist school. They have a nice sounding title but we all know that that means.

A real repair technician is like gold. Good ones that know what they are doing are very hard to find.
Those who are any good at all know where to get help with just about any challenge that may arise.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good one Curtis!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!