Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Another day of discovery!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another day of discovery!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the day my grand daughter Phoebe (now six) was born I got to hold her for many hours. Her momma and dad were a little tired after a rough night in the hospital. While I was up late, excited about the news, I slept great, with the realization my life would never be the same. I was determined to be the very best grampa in the world. As I held her that first day I knew I was the luckiest man alive. Little did I know what was in store in the next years.

Through the last six years I got to see little Phoebe a lot. In the first months she often slept in my arms as I sat at my desk and pretended to work. She spent many, many hours playing in my studio, most often with me on the floor beside her. The rocking horse I made for her lives here. Phoebe's toys are often scattered on the floor. Stuffed animals litter my studio. And her drawings are taped in various places around my desk. Out in the shop her playhouse takes up considerable floor space. Phoebe's massive rock collection lines the top of our fence. Her bike is parked on my porch. It's immediately obvious to anyone who comes that a kid spends lots of time here.

Phoebe knows her way around my toolbox and often 'works' in the shop. Her favorite job is painting although she will try anything I need to do. We have invested countless hours into our relationship and we have enjoyed many, many adventures together. Like my kids did when they were young (and beyond) she helps me often. I've learned it only takes a little longer if a child helps.

The payoff is immeasurable for me. The most horrible day is made right in an instant with a hug from Phoebe. Her endless chatter and questions cheer me immensely. Through her eyes I enjoy the limitless wonder of a world seen for the very first time. I daily discover the joys of making clouds of dust, watching various colors of paint run together, see dragons in the sky, learn to fly and a thousand other adventures.

Phoebe has also taught me things about myself and brought a clear understanding of who I am now and who I was growing up. Through her I have discovered what made me different. In a good way.

Phoebe is full of curiosity. And while every child has this characteristic, with Phoebe it is overflowing to the maximum possible. She sees EVERYTHING around her. She has to try everything, touch everything, and figure out how it works. For Phoebe every day is much too short, for there are far too many interesting things to learn about, to experience. In watching her, my own life became crystal clear.

I was labeled the bad kid in our family - the one who was always at the center of trouble. I remember clearly always getting into trouble, but never considered myself a bad person. In watching how Phoebe operates I now understand how it was. I was simply being me and I had no ill intent. Like Phoebe, the instruction to not get dirty, not to go somewhere, or to not touch was simply impossible. Really impossible. If I saw something that piqued my interest I had to find our about it - no matter what.

A while back Phoebe's dad poured a resin countertop. Phoebe received very clear instructions to NOT touch it. The countertop was suddenly as appealing to Phoebe as a candle flame would be to a moth. She kept one eye on the countertop all evening. Each time she got close she was warned off. And all through the evening she asked endless questions about the process. She wanted to know what it was, was it sticky- was it dry? Just before she went to bed her mom noticed little Phoebe was doing an extra good job of washing her hands and was thankful. The next day as the countertop was being packed up her dad noticed a small rough spot in one of the corners, wondering how he had missed it... but on closer inspection he could clearly see a child sized hand print. Phoebe had eventually succumbed to her curiosity and touched it, unseen. She immediately got the answer she was so desperately seeking. In seeing the hand print I was secretly glad, for I knew that when I was her age the hand print would undoubtably have been mine.

And watching Phoebe operate on a daily basis made me realize this was me growing up. I had to know everything, how it worked, what it felt like. I had to experience everything for myself first hand - even if my parents or other adults in charge expressly forbid it.

Today, Phoebe and I helped my dad move. We worked hard but it was a tough job made easier with Phoebe's help. As usual, while we worked we were in search of new knowledge, new discoveries. How high could we stack the dolly before it fell over. what would happen if every button in the elevator was pushed? Phoebe was in charge of the elevator and she made a few extra trips up and down by herself. One of those helping was tempted to be a little upset with the wait, but the joy on Phoebe's face as the doors opened made it clear the experience was nothing short of awesome. On each trip back to the truck Phoebe rode the dolly with great delight.

With Phoebe's help moving day was transformed from a necessary task to a wonderful adventure. I learned once more (as I do each day I am with her) that when playing is mixed in with work great discoveries can take place.

I know when I grow up I want to be more like Phoebe.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I know your feeling. I have 6 grandkids and due to circumstances beyond my control, I do not get to spend much time with them. I envy you and, oh yes thanks so much for sharing. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, you have brought me to tears....wonderful tears. Lovely story. I hope her parents didn't repremand her too severely.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely perfect.....

I got to play with a 7 month old today....how perfect they are. [Smile]

Very well said...she is most fortunate..

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you ..Phoebe for big smile.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

I always look forward to your stories, experiences and wisdom, don't ever stop sharing!

My 6 year old and I went grocery shopping today, nothing too exciting about it one would think....it was just the time we spent, the questions and the experiences just made a typical job exciting! My wife was glad we went, we gave Mommy a break from that chore today!

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerri Brownlee
Resident

Member # 15004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerri Brownlee   Email Kerri Brownlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Dan I have one of those too!
Her name is Piper, she is 8 and they live 100 yards away from us! She is my step-grand daughter and in her I see ME at that age! We are not related by blood...just by love. We have a 3 year old grandson just behind her...can't wait! She has also spent hours with me in the shop painting and peeling vinyl (the messed up pieces), stuffed toys all over...

Yes, they are precious.

Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
Mayflower, Ar

--------------------
Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
312 Hwy 89 N
Mayflower, Arkansas 72106

Posts: 20 | From: Mayflower, Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Sawatzky:
I know when I grow up I want to be more like Phoebe.

Phoebe is not the only kid at your house, and why in the world would you want to grow up ? I flat refuse !

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!