Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Photoshop question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photoshop question
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an image that I am working on in Photoshop. The image has a transparent background, and the customer wanted a blended background. So I created a new layer and did the blended background which is apple green to white, white being at the top. Everything looks fine in photoshop. I have saved it as a JPG, EPS, & PSD file. When I import it into Gerber Omega, everything looks fine, except, where the colors fade to white. A little into the white, I get a "hard" edge instead of a nice blend. On ALL the formats.

I thought it was just an Omega limitation, but I had someone else look at it in Flexi with the same result. Can anyone shed some light on that situation? How can I maintain the same fluid blend in photoshop when saving?

Thank you in advance for any help. [Thanks]

[ March 26, 2011, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try adding a little noise to the gradient layer in Photoshop. Sometimes that will eliminate the banding problem.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, try printing a sample. I imported a logo last week into Omega which was basically a 12" square with a 2 color fade from top to bottom with some copy dropped out. It looked like bands on the monitor but when I printed a sample one on the Edge it was a perfect fade with no banding.

[ March 26, 2011, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Louie Pascuzzi ]

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of that fails, try using Filter>blur>gaussian blur, and fuzz the gradient/blended layer a whisker.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob....

1) Did you flatten your Photoshop file before exporting?

2) What is your display resolution set on in Composer's Image Fill -- 1, 4, 8 or 24 bits per pixel?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Teveris
Visitor
Member # 2911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Teveris   Email Tony Teveris       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check your Black / White filter in the color management dialog for your monitor. In this case you want it off (White for the monitor).

--------------------
Tony Teveris
Gerber Software Engr
South Windsor, CT

Posts: 92 | From: South Windsor, CT | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn 24 Bits and no I didn't flatten the image.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can think of is to flatten the image and export it as a JPG. I've tried recreating the problem but I have had no luck.

If you'd like, send me the PSD file and I'll test it for you with my setup (CS5 & Composer 2.61).

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn.

Tony might be on to something with the Black/White Filter.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Let us know how it works out.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

It appears to still be there in print but in Omega it looks fine.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!