Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Customer wants own vinyl cutter, hmmm..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Customer wants own vinyl cutter, hmmm..
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call the other day from a "potential" customer. Young guy got my name from a current client. This guy wants to get a vinyl cutter to do the windows on his Karate studio as he has it changed throughout the year and wants to save some $. I can't blame him, it adds up after a while.

I said that he can run right down to Seattle and pick up a decent Summa for roughly $2500 (you could almost hear a pin drop). He mentions, I've seen them for $200 and asked what the difference was? I said that it was most likely a hobby type machine and that the Summa was an industrial machine, larger, etc. He'd need to figure out where to get vinyl, learn how to use it and learn to use a vector art type program, cutting software etc.

After a while of educating him, he decided that after ordering his letters online that he'd try me next time. Ahhhhhh...education, can't blame him for trying.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many karate guys want banners for a few weeks at most. They change them like babies change diapers.
Sell him on paper type banners so he can switch them out as his business cycle changes. Usually about 8 times a year. They are just like those old style super market paper panels.

Also if he has a marketing company,, they send premade layouts every month. If you can print them for him using temp products as I do on my old trusty encad you will have a monthly customer.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brian, for educating another one for us all!
So many customers . . . so little time.

I get at least one of those a year "I think I'll just buy my own vinyl cutter . . ."
I educate them the same way - $3000 for the plotter, $1000 for the software, buy the correct vinyl, then you'll need a roll of good premask . . . I usually lose them at the premask - "Pre what?" [I Don t Know]
I have patience with them, most of us are on a very tight budget. But then, educate them on paying an expert to do a good job will get a more professional looking product (which is good for business), that will last longer.
Temporary signs are a problem, but like Curtis said, inexpensive paper signs is a good alternative.

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 248 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered why it's "pre-mask" - surely it's just "mask", anything "pre" would before the mask, wouldn't it?

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i usually show them my 10 foot long glass-top table and tell them if they really wanna do it right, just build yerself one of these babies!!! someone getting their own plotter probably could come out on top if they stay cheap and use white vinyl and don't mind putting in the time to do it themselves ... most people won't take the time, however, or are too busy with other aspects of their business.

another good alternative, if there is a place to hang them in window, is coroplast or cheapie poly banners. Try to get the customer to come up with something he can use more than once on a rotational basis. You can even peel dates and times and prices off of the signs and change as needed. let them do the peeling and just sell them the sticky stuff to apply it themselves. I do this all the time and customers seem to like this arrangement.

on a smiliar note: my shop helper wants his own professional recording software too ... and a small studio ... only about 20 grand worth of equipment and space ... or he can spend $45 an hour to rent a studio as needed ...

... you make the call

and maybe the "pre-mask" should be called "pre-unmask???" or post-mask. or how about just "masking.........."

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerri Brownlee
Resident

Member # 15004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerri Brownlee   Email Kerri Brownlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't use my cutter for signs...just to cut vinyl for resist, I have some of the same comments from my son. He thinks that I can just cut some 'stickers', without thought of how it is done. The vectoring, the sizing, the cutting, the time. When I sit him down to show him what is involved...he looses interest pretty quickly. Kinda like he did when he figured out that etching wasn't just 'squirting dirt' on a piece of glass!
AHHH! The price of education!

Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
Mayflower, AR

--------------------
Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
312 Hwy 89 N
Mayflower, Arkansas 72106

Posts: 20 | From: Mayflower, Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the additional tips on providing him with some paper banners or more upscale banners that he can use on a rotational basis.

I did suggest some splash work but he said that he had that done and it looked "to cheap". Ahhh Grasshopper, he must not have gotten it done by a true professional as I've seen some pretty awesome splashes done by folks on this board (Jon Peterman of Grants Pass OR being one of them).

I'll give him a ring back with a few suggestions, maybe a few "nicer" banners or something on coroplast. It'll cost more up front but he can use them for a long time.

Have a great day everyone! [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian
Tighten up the information.These kind that are in business add up the money they spend on vinyl signage.They think if they buy a plotter they save money and make some extra cash from their buddies.Don't be gullable...keep your information to yourself.I know most everyone associated with letterville will agree.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!