Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » FOR ALL US RETRO XP PRO USERS...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FOR ALL US RETRO XP PRO USERS...
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son sent this to me this morning. It looks like a good deal, and would solve the whole xp/Windows 7 issue for some of us. Lots of storage and RAM too! Shipping is like $5!!

Take a look HERE Hope it helps someone else. [Smile]

[Cool]

[ March 07, 2011, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that same machine! It is still running strong after almost 10 years (it is the only PC I have left) I may have to snag one more at that price!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another source.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Dell+Optiplex+GX270&_sacat=See-All-Categories

That machine posted by rick is really a good one.
That was back when Dell made some really fine machines. I think I may get one.

[ March 07, 2011, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one that is almost the same but Dimension 8200. Seven years now I believe.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I emailed them, but does any know where they are located, or has anyone bought from them before? Bob

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 220 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious. What is the attraction of an "older" computer with a slower processor, limited HD space and little RAM? Other than the price and the XP operating system.

Not criticising or anything. I just don't get it with the variety of newer computers available at very affordable prices.

(I do understand if one has a software program that won't work on anything later than XP)

Please don't jump on me too hard..I am old and frail!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do understand if one has a software program that won't work on anything later than XP), You answered it Dave!

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 220 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have SignLab 7.0 and an XP Dell. I need a new computer, but CadLink says that 7.0 won't run on Windows 7.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because dave and bob..

Some of us have some really nice quipment that needs serial ports and parallel ports.
Such as a printers, and my cutters

And,, a low priced but very nice XP machine is just about perfect for about 90 % of of us who run CNC routers and other operational type usages.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all of the programs I have tried that I ran on xp run fine here on windows 7 32 bit in compatibility mode. the problem most folks that I support are running into with windows 7 is finding drivers for the 64 bit version and making the dongles work. The software companies are not gonna go out and write software for old dongle drivers for free when they can stick you for an upgrade of a program that basically does the same thing with the exception of a few minor bells and whistles and doesn't cost them any help desk support time. Many of the programs can be run in virtual xp on windows 7 but it is not for the novice or unsavy computer user,as it takes some jumping thru hoops to make some of the older programs to work and then it is only intermitantly. the problem here is most folks want to address as much ram as possible and a 32 bit windows system can only address slightly less than 4gb of ram addresses,or about 4 billion memory addresses in each program. some of the newer cpu's allow windows 32 bit systems to see more than 4 gb but they can only utilize 4 gb per program that is running.

[ March 07, 2011, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said..I understand if it is an issue with programs. I should have added the serial and parallel port avilability thing too.

My mistake. I have been out of the business for 3 years, but still use the same printer and scanner as I did then. They are both USB driven so Win7 just located and assigned drivers.

I had always used CorelDraw as my design and cutting program and I am now living in the past with version X3. I still use it daily, just for fun and to help others here and there. It is still working fine on Win7.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Curtis,
I know that !
I have signlab and XP on a laptop I was answering Dave's question.

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!