Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do you thaw out the ground for post install in winter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you thaw out the ground for post install in winter?
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to install some 6"x6" posts by april 1st. There
still is 30" of snow on top of the frozen ground. Around here
you have to dig down 3ft- 3 1/2 ft to get down to the freeze line.
I know the ground won't be thawed out that far down by April 1.
What ideas do you have for thawing out the ground. Will I have to
rent an auger? (I have never used one. Our local rental place has a
1 man and 2 man auger)

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane,

Well you will have to dig down to the ground. Then spread Ice melt, not salt, liberaly in the area you want to dig. And I mean Liberaly. Then I cover the ice melt with Hay, come back a few days later and dig.

I'm not keen on Augers, but they are better than using a post hole digger. I still prefer the post hole digger though.

Never had a let down.

[ February 28, 2011, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob's right, you have to melt the frost. An auger will just sit there and spin on the frozen ground.

It's not easy doing this. I've heard of guys building a small tent over the spot and putting a propane heater in there, again, days of heating with expensive propane. I've also heard of using charcoal to warm the ground, again many days of heating, dig, heat some more, dig some more. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Bash]

I found an outfit that specializes in drilling through frozen ground with a special rig. I asked how much. They refused to tell me saying "don't worry, you can't afford it." Do you believe that? They wouldn't even give me a figure. I'm guessing they were over a thousand dollars an hour for their crew and rig.

[ February 28, 2011, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in Iowa we would dig out the snow and cover about an 18" area with half a bag of charcoal. Light the charcoal and cover with an old hubcap or garbage can lid... come back half a day later and start digging in the mud. It works.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 kinds of post hole diggers. I also have a heavy long metal pipe with a sharp pry bar welded to it (works great breaking up shale). We have lots of clay and shale around here. I don't think the town will let me do the charcoal bit unless I sit there with it (too many kids around).
Thanks!

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a long 5/8" bit for our hammer drill that we use in penetrating buildings for installing lighted signs. I've used in in hard ground in the past, drilling a series of holes that I could break out with the rock bar. None of it is any fun.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use a guy with a bobcat mounted auger. I believe it has a carbide tip for winter drilling. Can the sign be mounted on a temporary sign stand or on steel posts driven in the ground? When it thaws out it could be permanently installed.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is 30 inches of snow..the ground is not going to be frozen very far down from surface.

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a very lazy person and I work very hard at it. I called a fence company. They dug two holes for me 48" deep and 12" wide for $50. It took them less than 20 minutes with their equipment. And being the evil capitalist that I am, I charged the client $75. After all, picking up that phone to make the call was manual labor.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Kawasaki two-man post hole digger.
It was far more trouble than it was worth. Anytime it hit a hard spot or a rock, the automatic clutch engaged, and it stopped digging. And if you were unlucky enough to get it stuck in the ground you were in trouble. Add to that a 2-cycle motor that wasn't the easiest to keep in tune.
I used it one summer and sold it to a fence company.

Michael B is right about the surface, at least in my winter experiences (Illinois & Kansas). After a few inches of frozen crust, the digging is not that bad. And if you have clay, it doesn't stick to the blades as badly as in summer.

I also used to have a beastly jab digger that had been modified with heavier 10-foot (1-1/2" EMT conduit) handles and (3/16" steel plate)reinforced cutting edges on the blades.
My helpers avoided using it, but it would bust rocks like a rock bar and cut 1-inch tree roots in one jab.
It could also cut through a telephone wire like it was burnt string. Call before you dig.

[ February 28, 2011, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Brad Ferguson ]

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mike. Even though it has been a cold winter here we have minimal frost because of all the snow on top of the ground. I would go check it out.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Moroney
Resident

Member # 9498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Moroney   Email Bob Moroney       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rochon:
Diane,

Well you will have to dig down to the ground. Then spread Ice melt, not salt, liberaly in the area you want to dig. And I mean Liberaly. Then I cover the ice melt with Hay, come back a few days later and dig.

Add a black tarp on the top of the hay to focus the suns heat.

[ March 01, 2011, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Bob Moroney ]

--------------------
Bob Moroney
The Sign Guy
310 Club Valley Drive
Falmouth, MA 02536
508-259-6297

Posts: 216 | From: Falmouth, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do it the same way as Bob but I go to the local concrete plant and 100% calcium chloride that they add to the concrete. It works better than ice melt, you can hear it almost sizzling in the frost.

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Henningson
Visitor
Member # 7442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Henningson   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Henningson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Duncan I hire a guy with a bobcat. Frost doesn't slow him up too much and I pay $100/hole. It's so much easier to get someone else to dig.

--------------------
Tom Henningson
De Jager Signs
11474-156 Street
Edmonton, AB, T5M 3N2
CANADA
Phone: (780) 453-3636

Posts: 41 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are all good comments and will be noted. However Diane, unless you had a major freeze before getting snow you may find to be very lucky.

Around here if you have that much snow on top I can guarantee you there will be no freeze or if any 1 to 2 inches tops.

Go check the area you will be digging (but NOT in the exact spot)and remove some snow and check the ground, you might be amazed.

Keep in mind if the ground is not frozen DO NOT remove the snow in advance because overnight it will turn that wet area as hard as steel.

Again check out the area, snow is a great insulator.

A note for the future,If I have to do a winter install and know it before the Winter hits, I put a piece of 2" insulation board on the ground and put a cement block on top. When time to install I just remove and start digging.

Edited to say; I apologize for not reading all of the above posts since most of what I said, was said.

[ March 02, 2011, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Sam Staffan ]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or just call Roy Frisby- I bet he has some "holes" he could sell you, then you wouldn't have to dig anything.... [Wink]

edited: for those of you who missed it, Roy had a pretty good thread in the archives going about selling "holes" ... search it, it will amuse you...

Here is the original post: "Have recently come by an abandoned oil well.
Am seriously considering purchasing said well and salvaging the hole. Will have for sale several
thousand feet in various lengths of ready made holes if anyone is interested in such. Size will
vary from 2' up or down."

[ March 03, 2011, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Michael Clanton ]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Michael
LOL I remember that thread.
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Michael
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Michael
Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!