Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Got a question for those of you wearing bifocals...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got a question for those of you wearing bifocals...
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been near-sighted since I was 7 and wore glasses. My vision is currently 20/80. Until this past year, I could wear my glass all of the time and still be able to read books with them on. I've been experiencing headaches and finding it harder for my eyes to focus. Its reached a point where I had to take the glasses off so I can read a book or a monitor.

I put on my first pair of bifocals this weekend and I find myself having a tough time adjusting. I'm not sure if its just me or the lenses. On the eye doctor's recommendation, I got the progressive lenses instead of the lined ones.

While driving, if I look straight ahead everything is crisp and sharp. But if I move my eyes slightly to the left or right, everything looks warped and out of focus. Is this normal for bifocals? Looking down, I can see the speedometer on the pickup perfectly for the first time.

I'm also considering buying a pair of "computer" glasses. I can read books just fine right down to about 3pt text. But looking at a computer monitor things are readable but just very slightly fuzzy. I can feel my eyes straining to focus. My eye are about 24" to 30" away. Has anyone bought a pair just for computer use?

Thanks.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

I wear progressives and have no issues looking side to side with my glasses (more round lenses). I also just turn my head most of the time so the eyes are more in the middle of the lens.

No on the reading glasses as I see just fine up close. No problems with the computer use either.

The adjustment to progressives or bi's for that matter has taken a little while to give it some more time.

Best of luck,

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always ordered bifocals with a wide lower lens, it is very helpful when lettering. It may be what you need. If I am any further that 12 to 18 inches away from the computer screen, it is difficult to read.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been nearsighted since the late 70's and eventually ended up with the progressive bifocals like you have. They take some getting used to for sure. It's like tunnel vision having to move your head instead of just your eyes to keep things clear.

Fortunately, my distance vision has steadily gotten better over the years and now I just purchase drug store glasses at a couple assorted strengths. One for computer distance and another for close up work. I keep sets at work, at home and at my cabin. . .
and in my truck.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like progressive bifocals because they mess with peripheral vision - requiring you to move your head if you want to focus on anything. The lined bifocals work better for me. I don't mind the line, which barely shows. and I get much better vision side to side.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have excellent vision, but my arms are too short!
So ................... I have a pair of computer glasses and carry reading glasses for close up stuff!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the world of aging. [Smile]
I've had progressive lenses for a while, and yes the view from the sides is somewhat blurry. If you speak to your optician they can help you pick out frames that will minimize that and I believe the lenses can be ground to reduce that as well. Working with power tools a lot I prefer the progressive because I like my fingers.
I bought a pair of "office glasses" along with my regular prescription and I really do like them. The distance is set for about 15' before any "softening", which is fine for most of my shop work. I do find that I have trouble driving after dark with them, but other than that they are pretty versatile, so much so that I forget to switch back when it's time to go home. By eliminating the clarity at farther distances, it leaves a lot more real estate for the mid range and closer work.
I think we each adapt to glasses in a different manner. My husband had a much more difficult time adjusting to his progressives.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait til you go to the grocery store [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Seriously, like the others have said, they do take some time to get used to. The strength has a lot to do with it too. My latest pair is a lot stronger than my old ones. It was awful there for awhile, especially on the computer...I couldn't see crap. It didn't help that I have mine set "close" for work. I have to sit a little closer to the monitor. I've had about ten pair of these and there has been a glitch with every single one of them. I remember the first pair and trying to go down stairs...like tripping on acid. [Smile]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks.

I just got back from the eyewear center. They adjusted the frames so they sit a little lower which seems to help.

I'm starting to wish I had bought the standard lined bifocals. The technician said that progressive lenses have an hourglass shape to them which is why things are distorted from side to side. Lined bifocals don't have that issue nearly as badly she says and that it will take a week or two for me to get used to the progressives.

Like Bill said, my distance vision has actually improved. I went from 20/100 to 20/80 over the last 5 years. But I am having more difficulty getting my eyes to focus.

And then yesterday morning I woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that I had burst a blood vessel in my right eye. That's the first time its ever happened. I'm going to be a sight for the next couple weeks. Gag!

It sucks getting older.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear progressive trifocals, just takes a while getting use to.

I also have wet AMD in my left eye, now thats difficult getting used to!
Getting old really sucks at times.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tried them for a few weeks and never worked for me. They were making me sick and were to dangerous. I was up in the bucket and with no clear peripheral vision almost hit a power line as I was focused on the sign. And forget climbing a ladder with out looking down.

So I just went to 3 pair of glasses.. One for standard vision. Driving ect.. Computer/reading Glasses.
Then I Had a pair made with some stronger magnification for close up work when working on the glass.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My progressives drove me crazy when I first got them. Now I don't notice any distortion. I don't remember how long it took me to get used to them but I did and now I love them.

But.... they don't work well on the computer because I have to tilt my head up to hit the right area for proper focus on the computer screen. I bought a pair for work where the upper part of the lens is just right for the computer which is also perfect for working. My monitor is the same distance from my face as my hands are for doing almost everything. The lower part is for normal reading so these shop glasses go on at the shop and stay on almost all day.

[ February 14, 2011, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like several people here...I intially got the progressive lens...like Glenn...they were the recommendation of the eye doctor...he said they would give an extra point of focus more than the bifocal...I wanted the best so that is what I got...but I absolutely could not stand them...no peripheral vision...I'm surprised I didn't have a wreck...didn't like the tunnel vision...after a month I went back and traded for the lined bifocal...seems strange to me that we put a man on the moon but cant figure out how to make progressive lenses that don't distort on the sides.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started wearing glasses at age 4. Around 50 I needed bifocals and just got the regulaer lined ones. It took a couple weeks to get ues to them but soon they were second nature.

The only problem I experienced was after a month or so I developed some sever pain in my neck. I went to a massage therapist a couple of times and after that everything was fine. Seems it was from tilting my head back to see the computer through the bottom part of the lenses.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8880 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear progressive also mine are small glasses can't wait to order bigger and wider glasses, don't know why I listen to my gal telling me I look better then with big glasses lol I need to see lettering better lol geez

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got progressive lenses and wore them probably two hours total. They told me I'd get used to them, but obviously it was going to take more time than I could stand. I just use store bought readers for the first few feet, although I need to get stronger ones each year. My distance vision is fine.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, when I take my reading glasses off, my hand lettering looks perfect! I thought Raymond would be proud.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem Dave G. had: pain in the neck from using the bottom lense of the bifocal for computer. Now I have a pair of single-vision glasses just for the computer, nothing else. They have really made a difference.

If you do painted bulletins, bifocals can be dangerous. You can only tilt your head back so far when you're standing on a walkboard. But you can have a pair of bifocals reversed, so that the closer vision is on top, but then lettering below your eye level can be uncomfortable. Here's what I did, at a doctor's suggestion. I had a pair made with close vision at both top and bottom and far vision in the middle. The middle part was fairly narrow, so I could letter above my head or below my head without a lot of head tilting. The doctor called them contractor's lenses, and they made a world of difference in terms of fatigue. I also had them made rather large, and with the heaviest photo-sun tint available, to avoid "wall blindness."

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The experience I had with those type lenses is that everything seemed like a cockpit of an airplane.Signs don't have that kind of shape.they're flat & straight.I'd say you'll never get use to them.Lay them aside and go to Dollar General and get you some line byphocals.I did..they are cheap..they work great.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me a long time to get used to my progressive lenses.I had to play around with the computer monitor to get it at the right height so it wouldn't look blurry. I've got it about 6" above the top of my desk - sitting on a channel letter.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1267 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!