Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anyone vinyl cutting through a mac only? (without windows)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone vinyl cutting through a mac only? (without windows)
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my work computers blew during a power outage and I'm searching out my options.

I'd love to cut straight from my mac bypassing the windows thing completely if this was a viable option. Google says there are mac plotters out there for this. And here I thought it was a software issue...

However I'm pretty sure you need that too. Don't you?!?

Is anyone bypassing windows completely and making this work somehow?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teddy Carlsen
Visitor
Member # 13012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Carlsen   Author's Homepage   Email Teddy Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an software issue, the hardware is the same. Seriel or USB should be the same standard on a mac or pc.

What design software are you using? as I remember flexi is available for mac, and should have the same plotter drivers as the PC version.

I stumbled upon this:
http://www.magisign.com/US/3_prod/MagisignCS/1_intro.html
for w, Adobe Illustrator, don't know how well i works.

Another solution would be checking for drivers with the plotter manufacture.

TeddyC

[ February 04, 2011, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Teddy Carlsen ]

--------------------
Teddy Carlsen
Logografen
Tilst vestervej 49, 8381 Tilst Denmark.
http://www.logografen.dk

Posts: 38 | From: Denmark | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, what plotter do you have? I've been cutting directly to my plotters since 1989. First with Signpost which was a bridge program but served me well through the OS9 days.
Since than I've been using Cutting Master which is an Illustrator plugin from Graphtec.

Right now I have my MacPro plugged into my Graphtec FC7000-100 via USB. I have my old G4 plugged into the Graphtec's Serial port via a US?/serial converter. One runs HPGL and the other GPGL. It works great with out having to switch anything out to switch computers.

I've heard decent things about Magisign also but have no experience with it.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My software and plotter are ancient. Roland PNC 1000A and Signlab 5. And of course, CorelDraw. Quite the little switch over I'm playing with...

I got the PNC to work through windows 7 on the mac but not without glitches. Or maybe it was the new Signlab... or Windows 7. Who knows!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, check out this site.

www.signcutpro.com

I subscribed to this software for a month (now they have a free trial so you can see if it works for you) I really liked what I saw. My helper delved into it deeper than I did and she said we were going to love it. My problem was trying to hook up the plotter to a G4 Mac. I found out afterward that I had the wrong conversion cable. So I ended up hooking an old mac to the plotter and just networked my new mac to it. When my 16 year old mac finally dies, I'll use this software to plot from my new mac.

The Lifetime license is $299. 4 year subscription, $189. Annual subscription, $88. 1 month subscription, $15.

You can work it right off your Illustrator, Corel, or Inkscape files.

It's paneling feature for huge letters is top notch. I feel the pricing is very fair and it's a very powerful bridge program.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5401 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Thanks guys! I have lots of googling to do.

Dave, thanks so much for helping me today! Getting out of Crystal mode was quite possibly part of my issue. I'll play more over the weekend. There may be hope for me yet! Happy screen shooting. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't get it to work feel free to send me your Mac and I'll send you my PC! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!