Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What material would you use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What material would you use?
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this cabinet that will no longer be used with lights and I would like to paint (with latex) onto a substrate that is fairly rigid.
I was thinking of dibond or alupanel type material with one panel being 5' wide and the other two 4' wide.
Does anyone have a better way to go or better material to use. Thanks ahead of time! I am planning to change the value of the circle.
PS- I am still working on the design but I'm open to learning more there too.

-

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like you've grabbed a bundle of elements first, & then tried to fit the words in- I suggest you do the opposite- fit the words in first, and then arrange elements, one at a time, to enhance them.

Yes the bottle-cap circle commands my attention almost more than Bond, the kerning of which I'd increase a tad- at least for the D.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bruce, Merry Christmas, DiBond would be my first choice, you can get them in 5ft x 10ft sizes as well, you should put some sort of joiner piece on the back to keep them together.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you buy lexan off a roll in the length you need and avoid the seam?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6717 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, You summed it up. I am still working on the design and want to learn more about using panels. I will try your advice thanks!
Neil, I hope your holidays are special. What kind of joiner options are there? Don't they sell a divider bar?
Rick, I am a one man show in a low ceiling space so my concern is dealing with the size. It was my original thought but I don't think it would be practical for my set up. Thanks Rick!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for this size with no seams I would order flat lexan and still secure from behind as to prevent blowout. unless you order a pan face which is more expensive.

As far as the lettering I would think about redoing that and take some of those ornaments off of it

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clear Lexan! Letter it on the reverse side and it would look awesome!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bruce . . . & Tony . . . avoid a seam . . . plus the idea of painting the back IS cool.
Do your background colour & frame on the back of the panel, and then do the lettering and your scroll-frame on the front of the sign - this gives the sign face a little depth because anything on the front creates a natural little shadow from any angle . . .

By the way . . . a little kerning of the letters is never a bad idea, in this case, on 'BOND'

. . . actually I would shorten them AND extend the letters & spaces . . . but then, that's just 'cuz I love euro-bold done that way.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,

I've never found seams to be objectionable, though many do. Seams are to be expected when working with sheet goods. But, like Rick said, this sign could be done in polycarbonate in one piece. I would include a hanging bar at the top, both to prevent blow out and to make it hang flat. If this were a lighted sign, a hanging bar would also make servicing easier, though servicing a sign with this big of a face can be difficult even at that. If this actually were a lighted sign, I would try to sell a retrofit flexible face with a hinge.

Seaming Dibond is easy. Simply install a 2-inch vertical strip on the backside at each seam, attaching with pop rivets. You may have to cut the strips shorter than the height of the face so they don't catch at the top and bottom retainers when you are sliding it in. A T-bar, or H-bar, divider would be unsightly.

I worked at one shop for a while that intentionally put a non-permanent seam in a plastic face this big, even if they had large size material available. This allowed servicing by one man. Sometimes, the strength of two people is needed to slide a big face safely, but if the face has a middle seam, it's easier to service the middle of the sign by simply sliding the two pieces apart. One of the two faces would have a strip glued to the back that overlapped the other face from behind, preventing light leaks. I've always heard this called a "field seam."

A piece of polycarbonate this big may be a 500-hundred dollar piece of plastic, another point to consider. Is a seamless plastic face worth the extra money when you're not going to light it anyway?

Regarding layout, there are always good suggestions on this board. One thing to remember is that sometimes the colors can make the difference. A layout that might be considerd "weak" can be saved with color. For example, a secondary ornament that seems too prominent might be fixed by compromising its contrast with the background. In this way an element can be pushed from foreground to middle ground, and it no longer competes with the primary elements.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Great to hear all the advice everyone. Thanks!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad beat me to it... I was going to mention the rolled lexan, that would be my first choice, but what Brad said works great.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

After listening to everyones input my plan is to use four vertical dibond panels with a narrow piece rivited to the back at the seams to keep the bowing affect from happening.

thanks all!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use disband too Bruce. Easy to install for a one man operation. The joining strips however, I would divide into about six pieces, boding every sec on one on each panel with vhb tape. That way when pushed together, you will get a really flat rigid join on each panel. At that height, joining won't be at all noticeable

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is what Kevin G has in mind for the seam, but it seems like a good idea. The sheets could remain separate and still yield a flat joint, allowing an easy installation by one person.

-

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad, that's exactly it. If they're accurate enough, they also help prevent any separation I'n the future due to any play I'n frame.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Offer 3 or 4 different ways and let the customer decide what they would like to purchase.

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!