Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Warning - Long, personal post.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warning - Long, personal post.
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past few weeks there have been several posts about "How you got started", "What are you doing now", "How have things changed for you", etc.

I thought I would just do some rambling and combine a lot of that stuff into one long discourse.

This is not meant to pat myself on the back or to seek your pity - just an explanation of the course I've taken and the results of the decisions I've made. Possibly, it is intended as a warning to those who might venture to head in the same direction.

My love of letters began a long time ago - even before entering elementary school. My mother would print out sentences and I would copy them. I wasn't interested in what they said, just the shape of the letters. Now, sixty years later, I'm still doing basically the same thing - just copying letters to see how they will turn out.

Throughout my education years, drawing and painting letters was my main goal...along with impressing the young ladies (which was not very successful since young ladies are not all that interested in painting letters). Most of my spare time was spent working and dreaming of signs. My primary goal was to someday have my own sign business.

While in high school and college, painting signs put some change in my pocket and helped support my family when Jeanne and I married and the boys came along. After a short stint of teaching public school I began working with my brother, Wayland, who owned Belco Signs - near where I live today. That lasted over 20 years, but still the dream was to have my own place and to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Nineteen years ago, I rented a small space and began Chapman Design Studio. Every day was exciting and a challenge to provide my clients with the best possible image for their business, using the best materials available. I wanted to do what no one in my area was doing - so, I learned gold leaf, wood carving, glass etching, and a wide range of very specialized crafts. During that time I also wrote articles and taught workshops to share what I had learned with others.

There has never been a day that I've dreaded coming to work and producing signs. In fact, I've never worked a day in my life - it's all fun when you are doing what you love.

Nine years ago, my son Mike came to work with me and another dream was fulfilled. He and I think alike (which is scary at times) and he likes to work with his hands and produce the detailed products that I also enjoy. He has traveled a rough road, but now has turned his life around and I'm extremely proud of him. If you are ever around him, ask him to tell you his "story". You will be amazed.

There are two sides to every dream. There is the "dream" side but also the practical side. Most of my life has been spent in the "dream" side with little thought of the practical, business end of what I was doing. It was my idea that if I just kept doing great work and creating fine images for my clients that everything would work out for the best. I knew the basic principles of doing business but they were never very exciting or appealing. As a result, the business was paying the rent and utilities, but the debts were climbing. But...just around the corner a big job would come in, the "ship" would arrive and the debts would be taken care of and folks would quit calling wanting this payment or that.

The ship didn't arrive. Now, at 66, and a time when most are leaning back and enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle, I am struggling to keep the doors open. Over the past two years, the struggle has become more difficult.

There is no one to blame but me. I've made the decisions and now it's time to pay the piper. There is a slip of paper in front of me on the bulletin board that says "One definition of insanity is to believe that you can keep on doing what you've been doing and get different results." That describes me.

A month ago I was visited by a friendly gentleman from the IRS (those living outside the U.S. have a similar person). He reminded me that I had not been sending in the amount of money that they thought I should. I had filed all the proper pieces of paper but just did not have the dollars to match what they were to receive. It was not my intention to "cheat" them out of anything, but it was just going to take awhile longer to pay them.

So, now I owe a large sum of money to our government and they are threatening to take away everything as far as the eye can see. That will not happen, of course, but they do like to quicken your heartbeat. We are now working on getting a ton of paperwork done and trying to get a home equity loan (our house is paid for), but that may not be possible with the economy like it is and my credit rating in the basement.

There are various repayment plans available but they are high interest and would take the rest of my breathing days to complete. It may be necessary for us to sell our house, pay the debts, and move into an apartment (or smaller home). None of those things are the end of the world.

Mike has agreed to end his employment with me the end of this month so that his expenses and tax liability will cease. He volunteered that action, which speaks volumes about his character. It will be tough not having him around - not only for the loss of the extra pair of hands, but also just the companionship and pleasure of working with your son.

For now, I am going to try to continue to operate the studio and keep the doors open. Depending on what happens over the next few months, I may have to close up shop and work for someone else...or do something else.

Most of my hurt is for my wife, Jeanne, who has worked for years at another job so that I could follow my dream. And for Mike who now is without a job and income.

On the positive side, I've learned how temporary what we try to hold onto really is. The sun will continue to come up in the morning and life will keep going on. The important things (which are not "things") are still there. Jeanne is still willing to stand by my side and see us through the tough times ahead.

One of the reasons for all this rambling is to warn the rest of us about the importance of having a balanced life. The creative side of us must have an outlet and provide the fulfillment for our passion, but the practical side of business cannot be ignored. And it is possible to have that balance. Many of you here at Letterville are living examples. My hat is off to you.

Please don't read this as seeking pity. I'm content with where I am and what I've done and the changes that will be made to meet the obligations. Probably, if there was a chance to do it all over again, I would make some changes, but that's not written in stone.

There is no blame from me towards our government, our society, or any individuals. No one held a gun to my head and made me make the mistakes that I did.

Thank you for listening. I'm not planning on disappearing - I'll stick around and pester you for awhile yet. Thanks to those who have heard my story in person and offered their encouragement, especially Mr.Sowhatshisname.

May each of you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I plan on it.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're in my prayers, Ray.

The adversities we face in life are never as important as how we deal with them.

I wish you and Jeanne all of the very best in the new year.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, the first time we got to know each other was sharing a few tears at the Rick Glawson display in the sign museum - I'm sharing a few more with you now........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, you've continually been in my thoughts since our conversation a few days ago. While I wish I could simply write a check or perhaps hand you a winning lottery ticket, sadly, that isn't likely to happen. I admire your courage and honesty, taking the responsibility, rare these days.

The downward turn of the economy hurt many these last years, and set us back rather sharply too, although we were able to weather it fairly well. Others like yourself simply couldn't outlast the bad times.

My advice it to continue on as best you can. Savor the important things, treasure the happy moments and all the good things that happen each day which will continue no matter what. I wish you, Jeanne and Mike nothing but the best.

I wish you well my friend. Any time you want to talk give me a call. Collect is fine too.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ray, there are scarily many similarities between us, except for age...
I wish you well with your solutions in the future. Like Dan, I'd love to be able to write you a cheque to fix it all...
In the meantime, I have some paperwork that needs to be dealt with!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about the situation... I pray that you get thru it-- "This, too, shall pass"

I have been in similar situations recently- I thought I was strong, but after too many years of trying to keep your head above water, even the strongest get tired of treading water and going nowhere.

This year has been tough, and I never thought I would have to have 4 part time jobs just to try to survive.

I got behind with some payments to one of the "friendly agencies" and ended up paying quite a bit to get caught back up-money I really didn't have- then they notified me that they had figured it wrong and I had overpayed some... they didn't bother to give any of it back, just applied it to future stuff.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried my hand at a wholesale auto auction business. Lost seventy grand faster than I could wink. I tried a "We finance anyone" used car business complete with a finance corp. My father-in-law forgot to honor his end of the bargain with the rest of the capitalization after I had spent two years and another 300k of my life and cash. I opened a gallery in Santa Fe and sold 223 of my paintings the first year, but after three, my lovely bride of many years at that point, said it was either the gallery or her. I sold out and came home to again splash winders. She then asked that I take her to Europe for a month and on the trip home, she said she had had a delightful time on the 'continent', but no loger wanted to be married (and BTW could I spare her another 100k for alimony).

Lord, if character building is what this all means, then I must have some by now!

Bottom line is that you make money two ways: you sell more widgets or else lower your expenses and unfortunately taxes are a necessary expense and part of making a living. I hate to sound callous, Ray, but just get back into the game, keep your head down and trust in your amazing talent. That phrase of crazimaking is doing the same thing over and over, again, expecting different results? That is also the definition of "Practise makes perfect!". It is character building and we all got to bear the burden, if we want to be artists. We set our own standards and we aim as high as we can imagine. Just persevere and time will reward you for having the character to hang in there.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Ray, for you honesty. "Your Story" is very familiar, to me, and I bet to a lot of people who frequent this site. Like Dan, you have been an inspiration to a lot on here, just the other day I was reading an old SignCraft article that you did, I believe it was 1999...a lot has changed in the past decade.. you have to do what you have to do, to survive, my guess is that you will make the right decision.

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray - I have come to view you as a man of high ethical, moral, and spiritual integrity. To publicly tell a story revealing vulnerabilities that many men pridefully shun attests to your true stature as an emotionally honest and trustworthy man.

My gut feeling is that regardless of your successes or failures, you have touched more people, in more meaningful and purposeful ways than most could hope for.

What's really striking, is that although you have painted a portrait of unintentional 'failure'.... the real story here is your winning attitude in striving forward regardless of life's scars - which in my book, puts you way ahead of the crowd.

Many personal and spiritual blessings to you and your family Ray - may God bless you in ways unknown and enrich your new year with warm tidings of Great Joy. Best to you.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up during the Depression, 4 years in the military, and then spending a few years bumming around the world, taught me to get along fine and enjoy the best things in life with little money. As long as I cd draw, design, and paint, I cd make a living. I never had a head for business, I cdnt sell a bottle of water to a man dying of thirst, and financial matters bored the hell out of me, so I never even tried to get any good at them. But my wife and I are now 79, the kids are all out on their own, the apartment is small and crowded but adequate, and we live a nice happy life, doing what we like. Sure it wd be nice to have a big house of our own with a spread, and travel around in Europe and the South Seas, but really, do you need that to be happy? Of course not.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On the positive side, I've learned how temporary what we try to hold onto really is. The sun will continue to come up in the morning and life will keep going on. The important things (which are not "things") are still there. Jeanne is still willing to stand by my side and see us through the tough times ahead.
Ray, what you said here, is proof you are on the right track. We all have those bumps in the road, from bad decisions, illnesses or what ever....but as long we keep things in perspective, you will be alright.
I have a friend that always use to tell me...."And this too shall pass"....and it will, and hopefully we learn from our mistakes, and are stronger people because of it.
Hang in there!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray although we haven't met yet I can understand where you are at right now,..I have to move here at Christmas time due to hard financial times myself. having lost an eye a year or so back you would think I had both hands chopped off at the wrist the way some customers react,...I've had to go back to college at 57 and start over in order to have any kind of hope for a better life here,..sure I made some unwise decisions and life ain't been easy but it was worth every moment and I wouldn't go back and change one thing even if I could,..the sign business has been good to me and I will continue to do some sign work but the economy and the way people react to my handicap dictates that I change directions in order to be proactive about my future,..remember it ain't how you get knocked down in this old world that counts,..in the long run it's how you get back up deal with the problems at hand,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always read your posts Ray. Your words are always thoughtful, solid and sincere... Lots of substance with a good portion of humour. That's a winning combination in my mind. Some people can write it, but you live it. I've had the sincere pleasure of meeting you face to face on a number of occasions. I instantly new you were the real deal.

Folks with faith know that when people suffer, they are drawing closer to God. Take heart that He is by you and you will not lay down. At this very special time of year, we should all step back and re-focus. Better times are ahead.

Anytime I coat out MDO, I think of you. There's nothing wrong with good, honest work. Be proud, you do the very best at everything you do, including being a friend.

Continued health, strength and success are my wishes for you and your family.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray-

Hang in there pal. Keep a positive outlook, as you are already doing. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
Dan

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, now you can see that there are many of us who have been there and done that. It hurts to hear that it happened to someone like you, just does not seem fair. Our stories are very close, except years ago when we had a recession and inflation, I had to make a decision. Do I pay the taxes, or feed my family? Just like you, I had no intention of not paying. I asked for help and instead of help, we were handed a search and seize order. They were ready to close us down. A tax lawyer was our only hope, he was a big help. Thirty years of taking care of a disabled wife took most of my income. No matter how dark things get, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep in good health and a positive attitude and you will come out on top.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was walking, or more accurately, stumbling in those shoes thirty years ago. Although at the time it seemed like the end of the world, it wasn't, and we survived. I got a priceless education out of it. I wish you the best.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray . . . we can all benefit greatly from reading this interpretation of Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay on 'self-reliance' (scroll down until the text turns black and then open your eyes, ears and heart...)

http://www.youmeworks.com/self_reliance_translated.html

Faith comes in the 'not knowing' . . . and is always tested. How we react depends on how we truly feel about ourselves.

As with all 'human beings' . . . you are so much less than what you think you are - and so much greater than you could ever imagine.

Now you find out what fate has in mind.

Do not be fearful . . . and find your greatness. 2011 looks to be better . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain Raymond. Things drop down here so bad sometimes, that I wonder why I even started doing signs in the first place. IF things dont look up quite a bit next year, I too may be doing something else. I hope it works out for you Raymond. You're too good not to be in this business.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow... what a meaningful conversation... and I have to sign off & open my shop before I say half as much as I want to say... but I am honored to count Ray among my friends, and more then inspired to know of the challenges my peers, and mentors face today. I am facing very similar challenges, to all those stories listed above, and I need friends in case i lose all else, just as I need friends to give me the strength that finds the right path to protect what is worth preserving, cling to what is worth salvaging, and shed what is worth sacrificing...

It is great to see some many I call friends coming together in each others time of need, to extend support, advice or caution. Thank you for your candor Ray, and to everyone else here, thanks for that which makes this community so great!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes a big man to say what you did Ray. For much of your post I thought I was looking in the mirror as I'm barely hanging on myself. I thought my ship had come in when I landed a nice repeating job that was finally going to give me a nice regular paycheck. Well the job lasted a little over a year before my employee went on her own and took the job away from me. She had a history with my customer. I've had to let my other employee go since the economy is so bad here right now and it's looking like I'll have to work for someone else to supplement the shop for a bit. I'm also going to make some changes to see if that might help. Without ever seeing your insanity quote, I realized that changes will have to be made. I haven't racked up a lot of dept other than the shop mortgage, and the router will be paid for "in three easy payments". But still, just keeping a shop open takes a decent amount of cash flow.

Thanks for sharing Ray, hoping and praying that we both (as well as all the others here that are in similar situations) come out of this on the right end of the stick.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately Raymond, living on the other side of the world, we've never met and not likely to. However, having read many of your posts, and I'n particular this one, you are clearly a decent person In a tough old struggle. Hopefully it is some consolation to know so many of us are In similar struggles at the moment. I can assure things are no different for any of us here at present. The secret is having a loving family we can depend on in times like these.
Have a happy christmas

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ray. I guess I should pick up the phone and just call more often. I am sorry you are struggling so much and I have had my share of troubles this past year with Carolyn's health scare and business downturn. The only reason I'm still operating is because we made some good moves and our home/shop is paid for.

I am pretty much burned out with running the "busines", or the business running me. I will always make my art and that has been rewarding, but I may also choose another career path soon to help pay the bills. My wife is like yours. She has carried the weight many times while I "dreamed". It's time I chipped in more.

You are in our prayers and call me if you need to.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, Nothing but best wishes for you Sir. We are in the same boat as you are Sir.

Welcome to ****Creek Paddle Company.

One thing I have learned through this is don't do the negotiations yourself. Let someone who is not emotionally involved act on your behalf. For me. It is my NEW CPA, He is dealing with the IRS for me and it is a Load off my mind and they are surprisingly being very cooperative.. "So Far" They are open to reasonable payments over time 5-7 years in my case.

Whatever you do.. DO NOT call one of the TV IRS Hacks or even talk to anyone that calls you. Deal with someone Local that you trust.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, we met very briefly in Bloomington IN and I am sure you don't even recall it.

Shirl and I are now retired and it is totally because I stumbled into the sign business and Shirley had a "real job".

Like several others that have replied, I too went through a lot of tough times trying to be an "entrepreneur".

I guess my turning point was listening to a local sign painter who was retiring and he told me "price the jobs like you want to get rich and never back down from a quote".

Then I had the pleasure to spend a few hours with Bob Stephens in Zeppyrhills Florida and absorb his thoughts on being in the "business" of signs.

At age 50 we were living day to day and week to week, treading water. At age 63 (3 years ago) we were retired with a reasonably nice income.

I thank Bob Stephens and Mel Lather for their advice, may god bless them!!!

I also thank Shirley for sticking by me through thick and thin!!

Thanks for the post Raymond, and I wish you every good thing in your future.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, it hurts to hear your story. You're just too great of an artist for this to happen.

And you aren't alone. I'm still digging my way out of debt from that recession as well. One day at a time.

I sincerely hope that whatever comes your way is the right thing for you. You just never know where a new day will take you. You may end up better off than ever.

Watching, waiting and hoping for a wonderful outcome for you. In fact, I'm counting on it.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Moroney
Resident

Member # 9498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Moroney   Email Bob Moroney       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, I attended several of your seminars back when I first started the sign business as a 50's something small businessman and was impressed with the passion you showed for your work, your depth of knowledge, and a "caring" in your presentation for the people who you were teaching.

Having gone thru similar problems I learned several things. Your son will survive and fair well because of what you have taught him, not necessarly about the sign business. The IRS and other problems will get resolved. You and your wife will "live happily ever after" because together you both understand that life is more than money. Life is about love and friendships, and you have lot's of both.

I wish you well as you recover from these problems knowing that you will recover. Give your wife an extra hug as together you start down this road to future success.

Merry Christmas

--------------------
Bob Moroney
The Sign Guy
310 Club Valley Drive
Falmouth, MA 02536
508-259-6297

Posts: 216 | From: Falmouth, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, I'd like to modify Mike Stevens words, and say "take the path of heart and faith." Not a sparrow falls without God's knowledge and how much more does he care for you. Keep looking for the divine plan in all this and what you might do for others.
God's provision will sharpen you abilities to do a work lasting longer than 1 Shot. I feel your fear, and from that place I'll pray.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Ray. I just sent you an email that may help.

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ray (and others). Donna's words ring so true, as your such an incredible tallent.

I was in one of your siminars several years ago in Atlantic City, and was in awe of the work you have shown. I walked away feeling inspired, and often think of the works of art that you used, and often thought outside of the box, to give my clients and myself an sense of accomplishment. Again, your post gives me inspiration, at least to me. I like your insanity quote, and I am going to post it in my office.

I, like so many others, had to put my career on the back burner to gain a paycheck to support my family. I knew I had to when a gentleman showed up on my doorstep with paperwork letting us know that our home was in forclosure. My wife dug into her personal savings, and paid us up to the break even point, and I went outside of my personal realm of comfort, and went to work at a school for autistic kids. Belive it or not, a lot of those kids have taught me, no matter how bad things get, the sun will rise on a new day, and things will get better.

Now almost 2 years later, the business, in general, is making a come back. I am seeing some things come in, and like Dave Grundy said, I have priced my work like I want to get rich and never back down from a quote. So far things are working, and the upcoming year is looking promising.

Ray, I hope they upcoming year is fulfilling for all of us.

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Miller
Visitor
Member # 2881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Miller       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to mention that, as a Signcraft reader for 15+ years, I must have learned a thousand lessons reading your articles Ray. I didn't feel that it would be right not to mention that because someone who contributes as you do should receive thanks and kind words - particularly in trying times. I am very appreciative of your skill, knowledge, dedication & artistry - but even more so, your incredible generosity of sharing it with others in this business - I have no doubt that it improves the whole industry. I wish to say 'Thank You' and good luck with solving your problems - I'm sure we'll all look back on this time with relief when times are better.

--------------------
Aaron Miller
Caliber Signs
2934 W. Windsor Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85009

Posts: 3 | From: Caliber Signs | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ray,

You know I can relate. I've started over so many times; I don't talk about it much for a couple reasons; mainly it would bring those that listen down but also on the other hand there are those that we least expect will come up with brilliant little bits of info that we find truly valuable.

I started my home over 6 times but that was because I trusted the marriage to be rock solid to the end; I was/am a truly optimistic person and do trust in the Almighty God. It's just that it is not that I am not empowered to make some changes and choices in life, as I am, I find out through different mistakes or successes. My parents showed me to put family first and there has never been any question about that, I just lived in South Florida and my dad was not that near in the Keys, and my mother stayed at her job in Illinois. The years went on and on and then things happened. I lost my Mom while she waited for me to move back. Unfortunately I allowed the courts to dictate to me that I wait through custody battles, twice.

I am back now. I've started my sign business over 3 times from scratch, but you know I have also hurt my back and had many dental problems through the years, loss of family members, etc. I figured now that I am still full of information, talents and have an ever gracious God in my life, I've ventured into going back to college the last 5 years to model myself into the present economic need of my community. I live up here in the cold to be near family so that is a given choice and I wouldn't have it any other way. I stand here before life and work which jobs I can with lower back problems had to let up on the sign jobs as it takes a toll on my back and my lungs, and here I am working a job with wonderful insurance and a cushy chair...still longing for creating some signs and eventually getting back into that too.

What I guess I'm saying is that there are turns in the roads and we are just on a journey. It's a mix and match game to survive. You are a brilliant and good person and I have great faith that there are roads for you that will open when you are determined. I am constantly asked why I am not doing more signs but I just think that what I am doing is temporarily taken me down another path, just a side road that's all!

Take it easy and give yourself some credit; the world is full of opportunity, even if the economy is tough. Hang in there and no I don't pity you, you are going to find some different things to do in life, I know. You have brought so much to our tables, Ray, thank you for giving me a chance to express myself here also; God bless you, your family and friends. You are very rich right now.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to in ANY way make light of your situation, but, if good things come to good people, then you'll be all right.
It's interesting to think of how if we had handled or done things differently we might be in a different place. I like your honesty when you say "Probably, if there was a chance to do it all over again, I would make some changes, but that's not written in stone."
Thanks for all your past encouragement and support...It seems there is a lot of good stuff packed into a certain little man. [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Durnford   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Durnford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm saddened to hear of your struggles Raymond. It's a tough and unforgiving business. I always had a love/hate relationship with the profession for years. I feel your frustration.
I left the sign business two years ago depleted. Since, I've redirected my energies into healthier markets using the accumulated experience in the sign business. Maybe it's time for yourself to move on to kinder, greener pastures. Going around the wall instead of trying to climb it.
There is light on the other side.
Here's to a hopeful Christmas and a brave New Year
God Bless

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design
142 Mill Street, Creemore, ON, L0M 1G0

Posts: 302 | From: Creemore, ON | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you I want to express my extreme gratitude for your graciousness and kind words. I am truly blessed to be part of a caring community, both here on this site and with talented individuals around the world.

Many of you have walked (and are presently walking) in my shoes. That is a great comfort - not that you are experiencing discomfort, but that there are so many that understand and offer encouragement.

Here at home, I have a tremendous nucleus of family and friends that support me and continue to accept me...warts and all. That, as they say, is priceless.

Since it is not a part of this forum, I do not mention my faith in God, but from what I understand about my relationship with Him...this too shall pass. Without doubt, times will improve and "things" will not be the central focus of my life - just as they never were. Every great follower of God was led into the desert for a time before he was able to do what God had planned for him. I can only imagine what He has in store for me.

Thanks to those who have written, called, and emailed with encouragement and advice. You are more important than you will ever know. It's very easy to get down on yourself when faced with the consequences of poor decisions, but you have helped to survive the "pity party".

Good times are ahead. Doors of opportunity are already opening. The tax man will receive what is due him and valuable lessons will have been learned for the future. Hopefully, some of you here will be able to avoid some similar circumstance from having listened to my ramblings.

My love to you all. As Timmy said, "God bless us everyone". May your Christmas be bright and your New Year be filled with joy.

And thank you for the "flowers for the living".

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, you don't have to imagine what God has planned for you.
You've been doing it for years.

Bless you and Merry Christmas.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, I met you at the Indy sign show 4 or 5 years ago and introduced myself. You amazed me by knowing who I am from Letterville. I never forgot that. You have inspired many signmakers that you will probably never meet with your articles in SignCraft and here.(including me)

I'd love to be able to ask you a million questions because of the type of work you can do.
A lot of us in this business learn by example and you have taught me many things over the years.

So this is a formal THANK YOU and I know that I couldn't do what I do without continually learning from great artists like you who unselfishly offer advice and wisdom. You will make it through the valley and head back up the mountain because you know who really is in control.

Keep the faith, Ray and HE will prove it to you again and again. We humans have to be reminded of that sometimes!

Prayers and best wished to you and your family,

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But for the grace of God. . .obviously many of us have been to the brink AND back. I know that the Grace of today will re-energize your faith in yourself as well the future.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Raymond you've got a friend in Tallahassee that is touched by your work and contribution. We love you.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what its worth.....

About a year ago, Wanda and I began attending a series of financial seminars by Dave Ramsey. I was pretty skeptical but Wanda really wanted us to go.

I have to admit, I'm glad we went.

Just to give some background, I draw little or nothing from the sign shop because of the debt we incurred from the floods. We'd been living off of what Wanda earned and credit cards. Needless to say, we got up to our eyeballs in debt and were finding it harder and harder to pay the bills. The credit card debt alone was in the $30k+ range with a 20% rate.

While attending the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace seminars, we began implementing what he was teaching. Even though our income remained the same, we were able pay off $16k worth of CC debt in the first year. We're meeting our bills and continue to pay down our debts.

To anyone having any financial issues, I strongly recommend checking out Ramsey's stuff. Its well worth the effort.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!