Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » In ice graphics...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In ice graphics...
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here have experience with graphics imbedded in ice????

I was recently asked to make in ice graphics for the local curling rink. Apparently the previous supplier used a regular desktop inkjet printer/paper and they seemed to be imbedded in the ice quite nicely so I will experiment with it before I make a commitment.

Any tips welcome!

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a paint for that it came up before ... but might take a bit for me to find might try Google

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have mentioned that I'm aware of special paint for painting the lines and large graphics but I'm asking about smaller advertising that is imbedded in the ice.

--------------------

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that you would want to encapsulate anything going under water in laminate. Water will suck the ink right out of the paper (and make a mess of the paper also).

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

The little I know about this process is that laminating will not work as that will cause the ice to seperate and crack or chip off. I'm aware that major arenas use mesh graphics that allow the ice to adhere to itself through the graphics. As I mentioned previously someone had supplied the small local rink with regular desktop inkjet prints which were assembled and placed into the ice. The rink personnel do not know if the paper and ink were specially treated to resist running. This person who supplied them is no longer around here and took his secrets with him so I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts. I am just setting up to do some experiments and can let y'all know what I learn. I'm still accepting suggestions!

Can you tell I'm not busy to even accept such project?(LOL)

--------------------

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Print some up ... then go out in the back yard and make a mini rink and try it.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

That's what I'm doing, Si!

--------------------

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty,

We did some recently. Printed on to paper on our Roland. The eco-sol inks don't run. The prints were then run over with a wallpaper scorer - the sort that looks like a computer mouse, and has what is basically pounce wheels underneath. I guess you could even use a pounce tool? Anyway, the holes allow the water to come through, and prevent air bubbles trapped under the paper. Seems to work!

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do the graphics for our curling rink - cut or printed vinyl logo applied to clear vinyl and they asked us to punch holes to allow the water to float out from under the decal. We use cheap Oracal or 3mil with the cheapest clear possible. They install and squeegee the water out - they look fabulous!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu Friesen
Resident

Member # 6358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu Friesen   Email Stu Friesen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We print on Roland 54" paper as well as on mesh banner and have never had any issues with under ice graphics for both curling rinks and hockey arenas.

--------------------
Stu Friesen
Box 99
Estevan, SK
S4A 2A2
306-634-5975

Posts: 97 | From: Estevan, SK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Teveris
Visitor
Member # 2911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Teveris   Email Tony Teveris       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Gerber EDGE prints in ice, no lame, etc

--------------------
Tony Teveris
Gerber Software Engr
South Windsor, CT

Posts: 92 | From: South Windsor, CT | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Pinkse
Resident

Member # 1204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Pinkse   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pinkse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well what I do is print with my Roland on heavy "interfacing" that is used in sewing - available at any fabric store though ihave only found it in a 24" width. It is pourus, prints well on hi quality setting ( put premask on bed of machine as some ink does go through) and when they melt the ice out it is reusable. Tested it 2 years ago on my own out door rink and work really well. Sold a bunch to my local curling rink.

--------------------
Mark Pinkse
Laird Signs
Iron Bridge ON. Canada

Posts: 52 | From: Iron Bridge, ON Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them bring 4xx8 sheets of ice to me and we print directly on the ice with our Versacamm.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil...Neil...Neil.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the Newfie way. [Wink]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not Kidding!!!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!