Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Window splash Flourescent colors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Window splash Flourescent colors
John Browning
Visitor
Member # 9116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Browning   Email John Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day Glow offers 2 different yellows, oranges and reds. So far my window splashes are more small town small business, and I haven't had the need to use flourescents yet. I was hoping to get a small collection to practice with and possibly use them to mix additional colors. Thanks.

--------------------
John Browning
JBG John Browning Graphics
439 East St
Hebron CT

Posts: 75 | From: Hebron Ct | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once your customers see flourscent, they'll never want anything else. Mixing flourscent colors to get anothe color dosen't seem to work well....they get muddy.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many sign supply stores have 1 quart containers of DayGlo paints.

Get :
Aurora Pink
Rocket Red
Blaze Orange
Arc Yellow.

Don't bother with the Blue as it doesn't really glow like the rest.

Green is easily made with a bit of your regular blue.With the above 4 colors, you can blend other shades.

For long term, use their UV top coat.

Once you start using them, your customers will never want to go back to regular colors.

Be sure to charge more for using them.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Browning
Visitor
Member # 9116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Browning   Email John Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys so much for your help! Si, you helped me last time when I had a question about what colors I would need to do some Dunkin Donuts windows. I really appreciate that.

--------------------
John Browning
439 East St
Hebron CT

Posts: 75 | From: Hebron Ct | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to give Ronan fluorescents a try.
Got my first box of pints in the spring and blew through most of them already.
They have a nice variety of colors and they didn't gunk up as much in the bottom as the 1 Shot did.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just steer away from 1-shot fluros- I have some old oil-based ones here- yes they're OLD- but they don't last more than a couple of months before they fade dramatically to white.
There are good Aussie ones available, but I inherited the 1-s stuff and thought I'd give it a try.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Browning
Visitor
Member # 9116

Thanks for the advice, Stewey and Jill. I'm going to get afew colors and give them a try. There should be no problem getting them off as I will paint over a white acrylic base.

Thanks again!

--------------------
John Browning
439 East St
Hebron CT

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I used to do windows and blackboards on a weekly basis for various customers for 25 years.

Like Stewey said,our floros are water based and I go thru gallons of it.

Last few years I got smart and started using Avery white "Window Splash" Vinyl. Quite cheap too! Cheaper than time and paint rolling an undercoat!

Basicly it is a 4ft wide roll of low tack, thick enough that you don't need app tape and a breeze to apply in minutes. Also means you can do them in your workshop. Takes minutes to remove and no mess.

Final tip: If you want an "outline" on the splash still apply it full width, then cut the shape out after applying with an acto knife.

If you can't source the vinyl it is the same as what wide format printers use. Try that!

edited to show an example. The cans and bottles were do at home. The rest on site.

-

[ November 22, 2010, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronan Aqua-Glo waterbased. I buy em' in gallons, yeah they can be pricey at first glance but you get alot of mileage from them. Direct sun will turn them into "pastels" after awhile, but that's fine with me as I use them when painting "window promo's" meant for shorter term advertisements. Sometimes I do get paid to freshen em' up a bit. They clean up easy and cam take a pretty good beating from the rain. I mostly use the Yellow and the Flame Orange. At times I will buy the Hot Magenta, but I use it so sparingly I buy it in small quantities. I find that just the 2 colors get me by fine, as I use panels of darker colors in layouts for a more interesting balanced promo.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!