Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corel question
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't figure out how to add an inset line (or inset border)to a rectangular sign in Corel. It's so easy to do in SignLab with the outline tool. But the contour tool in Corel X3 is making me crazy. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the top under effects (Ctrl F9 is the direct connection). go to contour and then choose inside. Play with it a bit depending on the scale.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also draw two rectangles to form the inline and "trim" the inner part.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the countour must be separated and converted to curve to be plotable

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have a page size set to the same size as the sign, I go to page setup first then add the page frame,...then I use the same tools as the folks above to do a double inside contour(to the page frame) as a beginning to make the vectors needed to have a contour,..then I separate them as Stein has suggested and combine them to give them a fill to show properly on my artwork
and be able to cut them,...hope this helps,...

[ October 26, 2010, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends if you are cutting it or printing it.

I use Signlab if it's going to be cut.

For a printed file, in Corel, I duplicate the original object (square, rectangle, circle, oval, star or whatever) and use the CONTROL button (for PCs - not sure on Macs) to shrink it proportionally. 2 options here too; if the object is proportional (square circle or whatever) use one of the corner handles and hold the CONTROL key and shrink.

If it is not proportional - like a rectangle or oval, use the middle handles. You will have to do both top and the sides. This takes a little more precision but you can get it close enough for it not to matter.

The it's just a matter of selecting your outline size. be sure, when you are in the outline dialog box, to click on the DEFAULT button for nib size. This will prevent you from having lopsided outlines.

I've used both programs everyday for just about 20 years (except most weekends). If something is not clear, give me a call and we can work through it together.

Good luck!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2283 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel x3 also allows you to convert outline thicknesses to cuttable vectors. Go to Arrange menu & click on "Convert Outline To Object". Then while in Wireframe mode remove the original center line, if it doesn't do it automatically. Not sure if that's what your asking but it might help anyway.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill that is great I just tried it and it will be helpful thanks!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Bill you can just press and hold 'Ctrl' and 'shift' then press 'Q'. same thing gets done, just quicker.

does everyone know about the short cut keys for positioning? grab two or more objects then press 'C'
that will Center them. 'L' for justify left 'r' for right, 'b' for bottom' 't' for top and 'e' for equalize

any more?

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help. I've concluded the best thing to do in a one-step contour to center and then separate the contour line and add an outline to it. Then convert outline to object.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!