Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » how to change pdf file designed in adobe acrobat program to regular sign program pdf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to change pdf file designed in adobe acrobat program to regular sign program pdf
linda yang
Visitor
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linda yang   Email linda yang       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello pro here
i often get a file "pdf" designed in Adobe Acrobat, and i can't open in any my sign programs, any ideal how to do?

thx

--------------------
Linda Yang
Wilbraham, MA
arttec@samnet.net

Posts: 139 | From: wilbraham, ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should work to put the PDF in a format that a sign program can understand. Be prepared to do some cleanup work sometimes:

Below is how I use Illustrator to convert a PDF to outlines, even if I don't have the fonts loaded. It has worked great for me:

Posted by The Vector Doctor on Signs101.com:

1. Create a new file, any size will do.

2. Click on File -> Place and select the pdf file. The dialog box will show link and template. Checkmark on Link but DO NOT check template. Click OK

3. The file should display with the bounding box around it. Now click on object -> flatten transparency in the menu. You will get another dialog box to come up. Make sure raster/vector balance is set to 100% vectors. Also check "convert all text to outlines". All other checked boxes are not of great concern when it is the missing font you are after. I have attached a screen shot of the "flatten transparency settings. Click OK.

4. YOU'RE DONE! You now have a pdf file and you did not need the fonts in order to open. IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that this does not help you out if you want to edit the text. If that is needed, then you must buy the font. This simply allows you to open up pdfs without having the necessary fonts installed.

5. The only thing left may be a bounding box that you can remove. In Illustrator, I click on the direct selection tool (shortcut A on keyboard). Drag across the bounding box only. Hit delete twice, and that is no

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ,

I've had this same problem. I don't have illustrator. Without illustrator, how can I import this type of file into a regular sign program.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are basically 3 options....

#1) Give your client a list of common file types you'll accept.

#2) Make an investment in yourself and your company and buy Illustrator or CorelDraw (yes, CD will open PDF files).

#3) Ask someone in Letterville who did make the investment in themselves and their company to convert the file for you.

I'm not trying to be flip. Just honest. [Smile]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linda yang
Visitor
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linda yang   Email linda yang       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello russ:
I have coreldraw suite 3 to open pdf file, but I can't open any Adobe Acrobat so call "pdf

" file and I can't export to any different file to import to my all sign program.

--------------------
Linda Yang
Wilbraham, MA
arttec@samnet.net

Posts: 139 | From: wilbraham, ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ didn't tell you to "open" the file, he said to "place" the file. I don't know the Corel method, which may or may not exist... but try to look for something more similar to the suggestions Russ quoted.

[ September 25, 2010, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Corel, you have to "import" the .pdf files, which is equivalent to "place" in Illustrator.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave's right...you have to import in Corel. Once in a while we get a PDF that Corel can't understand, but will open in Illustrator. Probably has someting to do with what Adobe version it was created in.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't import a pdf into Coreldraw and don't have Illustrator. Try this.

1. Open the file with Adobe Reader...preferably a little older version.

2. Have Adobe Reader save a pdf copy of the file under a different file name.

3. Import the new pdf file into an empty Coreldraw file.

Having Reader make the pdf scrubs all the crazy "trip up other programs" out of the pdf. I belive versions of Coreldraw back to 10 can import pdfs.

I have used this procedure more than once to get a pdf into Corel.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also used a method like Chuck's to 'fix' a file that was being 'difficult'.
Usually you can also use the Explorer window & right-click on the file name & select open-with> & choose corel draw from the options and that has the same effect as importing it into a new file in corel.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 11121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Jenicek   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Jenicek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When importing a .pdf into Corel, sometimes i will have to use the Options Button on Import and specify PDF as the file type. Don't exactly know why, but it works most of the time.

--------------------
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs
St. Louis, MO

www.Artisan-Signs.net

Posts: 67 | From: Ballwin, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fond of PDF and request my clients send their artwork in that extension. It's a powerful format for detailed work with files that are kept too large.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!