Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Old English Bevels?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old English Bevels?
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 5 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know where I can see a picture or drawings of beveled Old English lettering? Like a prismatic of chiseled looking style. I've been checking but no dice...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greeting Mr. V.

Perhaps you should look at Doug Bernhardt's website. He has lots of carved signs with the traditional old world beveled letters. There might not be enough close up detail though.

www.bernhardtsigns.ca/

[ September 18, 2010, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Joe Crumley ]

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joe, man he has some awesome work there! I'll double check it again.

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco Have you considered the bevel boss effect in the eye candy plugin? I have used it before and it will make a beveled letter very quick with only a few steps involved in corel photo-paint and or photoshop,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh Timi, that's right and I do have Eye Candy I think it's the 4000 one, I'll try that, thanks!!

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

David A Smith
Visitor
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David A Smith   Email David A Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Francisco.

I occasionally see original bevelled letters on fascias arround London. You may want to do a search for resin cast letters and moulds,I know there are some companies still making the bevelled letters ready to gild.
Will try and find a link for you if I can.
Brilliant Signs of London when they were around used to make them. Doug also would be a good source as Joe mentioned.
Dave

--------------------
David Smith CHAPMAN and SMITH, 5 SHIPHAY AVENUE, SHIPHAY,
TORQUAY, ENGLAND TQ2 7ED
01803 613753

Posts: 57 | From: ENGLAND | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one on my website I hand carved for Mike Lavallee at Killerpaint that is sort of that style.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco,
Signlab has a fairly easy to use chisel effect.
You can spec three base colors and the width of the bevel, plus the thickness and color of the ridge line.
It's fast and it's all vectors, so it's cuttable this way:

-

These are the same colors but I added some gradients and a cute star:

-

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

I just happen to be making some tacos but slipped away to read your posts.
Dave, I know what you mean I went to Gemini letters and they had a list of fonts, and a program you type in what you want and you can see what it will look like. but it doesn't have the old English font. ah well

Mark, I didn't find that one project you mention for Mike, but you sure do some nice projects. Great work work amigo.

Brad, I can relate to your chisel effects I did one kind of like that on another project at the Iron Bird Lofts, it's at the end of this doc I did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAW3_IMhvvc
what I'll be doing on this new project will be simular but I want to add a couple new effects, thats what I am looking to see. But looks like I might have to pull out the pencils and start some ole chicken scratches on what I want...

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco, it's in the thumbnails on the "Signage" page and also on the front page as you flip the arrows on the pic that loads at top. It has a skull on it.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco send me what you want bevelled, and I will do it in Corel and send it back to you.
Deri

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Guess I'm in luck, well not really had to stop the job. I started to prime wall and owner saw stucco guys missed a lot of spots, so asked me to stop. He's having them come back to redo the finish coat.

Mark, I will check that out. re-edited, I found it, I can tell that is one dynamite sign, looks SWEET! but is there a way to make the picture bigger, to get a better view?

Deri, cool to hear from you, ok here's what I'll be painting create blossom bloom except when I paint it there will be no spaces. (not my idea) I have already made the pattern and was going to play with the letters, I only have Corel 12 so I don't know if I can do the bevel thing there. If it's not that's much trouble cool I have some time.

[ September 22, 2010, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: FranCisco Vargas ]

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see any picture. Did you attach the picture? Have I gone blind? Pass my cane will ya?
Cisco?

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

OH SORRY DUHHHHH!!!!!! I had to re- read. Its to say createblossombloom, right? OK I will send to you though Cisco cause me and posting on this board, I don't know WHAT it is, but it just doesn't jive. So check your email.
Deri

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

I am just going to do it in a straight line.

[ September 23, 2010, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Deri Russell ]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Hi Deri, I just got up and saw it in my email. THANK YOU! it came thru in Corel, I can make that work, they will be metal painted looking letters so that will be a good guide for me. You're a doll. Drinks on me at the next walldogs meet in Plymouth. Thanks again!!!

--------------------
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!