Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Window Perf......22 months later.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Window Perf......22 months later.
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in October 2008, I posted pics of the window perf work done on our shop truck windows.

The side windows were done on the Gerber Edge. One side had a laminate applied and the other did not.

The rear window was an inkjet print with a laminate.

-

What the manufacturers say about laminate shortening the life of a window perf is true. The unlaminated side still looks new.

As for the rear window, the edges started to lift just days after it was installed. I put it back down with the help of a heatgun and then applied a 3/8" cast vinyl stripe to seal the edges. So far, its held up extremely well.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

What kind of laminate did you use on the Edge print?

What kind of laminate did you use on the inkjet print?

[ August 03, 2010, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3M-8914 in both cases.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iknow this is more a "laminate discussion" but.... how do or did you clean the glass? And with what?
I know I know....

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update! :-) Nice to see real life examples of what to expect. I'm my own best test dummy too!

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Roger, RT2 of course. [Wink]

I should add that I have another test in the works.

This is a window test.

Inkjet with 3M-8419 laminate. The edges were not sealed. The glass was cleaned with Bootyglass, one of my clients' products.

-

This was applied about 8 months ago.

[ August 03, 2010, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be wrong to assume the laminate is shrinking, that and the fact that on perf you have only 50% of surface contact?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glen, email your phone #, I would like to talk with you.

Roger mail@rapidtac.com

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually laminating would have been fine, but you need to edge seal to make it last. The 3m liquid edge sealer works good, or just slits of lam around the edges. Once what creeped into a opened edged hole, it sat there and eventually started lifting .

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beginning to think laminate can be the evil of most prints. Glens test proves it. Most prints I get from Blake I request they NOT be laminated. I would rather spray 2 part urethane clear on a print than laminate for this reason.

first off I can spray a thinner mil than the laminate is and my clear will not shrink as bad as the vinyl laminate

GREAT TEST GLENN!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that laminate does all sorts of funky stuff to prints , especially perf. When doing vehicles I almost always don't laminate unless it's full color, then I'll laminate and edge seal. The full color makes the perf a lot less workable. Either way, I dislike perf. It always comes back to make me look bad.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have on I printed 4 summers ago and put on my cousins back window with no laminate and it still looks good printed on the versacamm.

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, what perf are you using? I use FDC's 50/50.
Printed on my JV3. One side on my truck is laminated, one is not, just like your example.
Trimmed back 1/4" from the seal of the window, all around. Been on over 3 years, thru the high pressure car wash once a week. NO LIFTING etc...
Cleaned with a 50/50 denatured/H20 mix.
Temps ranging from 95 degrees to 30 below zero, heat, sun, ice etc... I do wait the recommended 24 hours prior to laminating. Laminated with 8518. I would agree on using a Seal-it pen, but haven't needed to yet.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, after re-reading your post, I do heat the entire thing post application.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!