Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Unconditional Love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unconditional Love
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Over the past years I have felt genuine sadness for those who have posted about losing their beloved pets. Last Friday was my turn.

We have had some great dogs in the past; Mutt, a large white dog who adopted us and would fetch my kids home by name, goofy Luke, the purebred irish setter my brother won in a poker game, Barney the majestic wolf shepherd cross who was brought from the North by a relative but unhappy in the city, Kaluha, the shepherd cross who we got to salve the frusterations of a too angry 10 year old boy, and lastly Tequila, the lab/shepherd/husky mix who belonged to our daughter who had too much wanderlust to keep him.

Those who have visited my home and met Tiki will verify what I say about him. He was gentle, sensitive, remarkably intelligent and loyal. He lived to please and had an arsenal of tricks that included turning the TV and lights on and off, counting, saying hello and covering me up with a blanket.

Tiki didn't have a lot of use for other dogs, while he would play the game of marking his territory, that was about all the recognition he would give them. He was after all in his mind a human and we were his family. Although I think you always feel your current dog is the best, I truly believe Tiki outranked all the others both in reality and in our hearts. His ears would suddenly perk up with this uncanny sense and we knew that a family member would be showing up at the door within 15 or 20 mins. How he did that baffled us.

Tiki lived to go to the farm with Jim where he would hunt rodents or lay by the truck while the boys worked the fields and machinery. He was my companion when we went on long walks where he patiently waited for me to photograph the wildlife so he could have permission to chase it.

He left a very big hole in our home that I suspect will take a long time to heal over. I look for his joyful greeting as I drive into town, his hopeful gaze as I eat my meals, his morning hugs when I get up and the sound of his breathing at the foot of my bed at night. Jim is constantly opening the front door and looking out as if he expects him to be patiently waiting to be let in.

We were blessed with him for 9 years and almost lost him in May. Although he never fully recovered we were fortunate to have a couple more good months (including the fishing pictured below). He deserved to leave this life with the dignity he had always exhibited and we decided to help him do that.

So here is to Tiki and all the other canine family members who have and do grace us with their unconditional love. What a gift they are!

We've never conciously got a dog for our own pleasure, and I don't think we will be doing that. Still, I suspect it won't be all that long before somehow one will find it's way into our home and hearts....we are just too good a doggy family to waste. [Smile]

-

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very well written tribute to a great friend at a very tough time. You have my sympathy, for your loss. I am one of the many who shared a similar report here when my current dog's brother headed off to his great reward at the age of 13. His sister Koa is now 16. It sure seems a shame sometimes, that such loyal companions must go forth ahead of us.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,so sorry for you & family.

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear that Kelly.

They are part of the family.

He's chasing them down in dog heaven.

Woof,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have been there Kelly along with many and we truly do feel for what you are going through. It is a loss in the family know doubt about it and it is hard.

The good memories will come forward soon.

Sam

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a nice tribute! And I'm so sorry for your loss.

I adore my animals too and can't fathom a day without them. Their quirks are so endearing.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a nice tribute Kel. Such a loss, my heart goes out to you and Jim.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Kelly. What an awesome pup. We lost our dog last Sept and think of him all the time. No animal can replace them in our hearts just help fill the void and ease the pain. Sorry Tiki had to leave so early :^(

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, that is so beautifully said. They touch us so profoundly and uniquely, as you say unconditionally. Warm, cherished memories to and your family.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes with you Kelly

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My keyboard now has tears all over it - when we lost Snickers a few years ago, I was heart-broken and couldn't even consider getting another dog.

I share your sorrow, but your last sentence says it all.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww Kelly, I'm so sorry, but that was beautiful. Our dog is 13 now and she's a black lab, and is slowing down... it's going to be real hard... My sympathies go out to you and the family.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful writing...sniff...lost my last dog at 16...our pets are coming with us to Danville...so sorry for your loss

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind replies.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well written and felt, Kelly- prayers for you all- and, yes, for the new one who will appear. They do that.

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost my weiner mutt in February - in the middle of closing on the house that I bought because he was going to love the fenced yard. His leash is still laying on the floor in my truck where it was put during his last ride & I suspect it will be there for a long time. The day I finally moved, I walked through the front door with Rocky's urn in 1 hand & the little one's leash in the other. Of everything I went through this year, loosing him is what broke me.

[ August 03, 2010, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Kissymatina ]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, you were saying a lot of the things I would say to describe our chocolate lab, Lucy! My, how your heart must be hurting!

Lucy is a hunter, & she actually chased a bear a couple of weeks ago. The second bear she has chased. She listened & came back when I called her tho.

When I think of the pain I will face someday, I wonder why we get pets at all. But we learn a lot from them, don't we? And they bless us so much, comfort, friendship, security, LOVE!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly...so sorry to hear of your loss...what a great dog Tiki must have been...and a very lucky one might I add to have had such a loving and caring family...I'm sure it will take a while to heal the tremendous hole left in your hearts...although there will never be another Tiki...something tells me there's a very lucky pooch out there somewhere just waiting to steal your hearts away...thanks for sharing with us at this time.

[ August 03, 2010, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Kelly. That was beautifully written, got me all choked up. Dogs are such a blessing. I believe they are God's gift to help us make it through this journey called life.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Donna here (Rusty's partner) Please accept my condolences. Thank you Kelly for caring for this wonderful dog and all the others that have been fortunate enough to find their way into your home and hearts. I generally prefer the company of dogs to humans........I think you and I might be kindred souls. As nature abhors a vacuum, I am sure that another wonderful dog is right around the corner.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They really do become part of the family. I'm sorry for your loss, Kelly.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Winkler
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly I remember you talking about your dog and the long walks you had with him when we were in the Czech Republic. I am sorry that your friend is gone.

Erik

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers Bruce Bowers has just turned 59
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, our condolences on your loss. Very nice tribute.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this post and recall all the kindness we were extended here last year when we lost our Golden Retriever, Cooper.

Kelly . . . my sincere condolences for your family's loss. Danville will certainly help heal some of the hurt . . .

Tiki . . . good boy. You did what dog's are meant to do . . . steal our hearts.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!