Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Why is it,......?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is it,......?????
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not a complaint on my part but an inquisitive question as to the psychology of the average client,....why is it that I can go for almost 18 months with little or no work of any significance and then three weeks prior to my taking a trip to Danville and my phone starts ringing off the hook. I've booked as much work in the last two weeks as I have in the past 18 months money wise,...not to say I haven't been doing any work just that the work was not anything significant in value,..just small jobs here and there,...now all of a sudden I have two walls that will pay very well and another three or four jobs that tie into these walls and everyone can't seem to wait,....whats with the customers? I've decided to start telling them I'm quitting the business and going into the computer tech field so business will pick up hahahahaha seems the customers always want what I try not to give them,..if I tell them I'm going out of town they load me up with work when they know I have a tight schedule,...if I tell them I'm thinking about getting out of the sign business they start calling all of a sudden with alot of work,....why is it? When I was seeking to provide a service for them they wanted nothing to do with me,...go figure,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can wait. You are only going to be away for a (long) weekend.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that part Billy,..its the part about all of a sudden them wanting what they think they can't get,...it has been available to them all along and they didn't seem to want it,..now that there is a chance they can't have it(my services) they can't seem to get enough,...

[ July 24, 2010, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tim,

Start a room addition on your house!!!

I started mine in Sept 06, and haven't had time to finish it yet. Even if I get the time, I'm not sure I want to finish it for fear the work will slow down then.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

What was the joke back in the day,..throw away a pattern and soon as you do they'll call with a job you'll need it on,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bartender and I swear I won so much on the houses money and as soon as I was the client just the opposite.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim...it sounds to me like either all your customers are involved in a conspiracy against you...or it's just coincidence...if you'll apply the logic of "Achem's Razor"...which says that for any given phenomenon the simpliest explanation with the fewest assumptions is usually the correct one...then you will know which of the above 2 reasons is the most probable. [Razz]

[ July 25, 2010, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you need a "Closing Soon! (5:00 each and every day)" sign and then you will never be out of work.

Around here I think the clients conspire to drive me to distraction. I never have only one job at a time, it may go 3 - 5 weeks between jobs but as soon as a client puts down a deposit for some work I could bet the deposit that more work will be ordered within 24 hours and make money every time.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just move along folks ... nothing new here!

[Smile]

I have been in this biz for 43 yeas, full time ... and it has always been like that!

Toss out a pattern, and they call ... plan a trip, and they call ... always need it yesterday!

[I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have learned (the hard way) that there is something subconsious that goes on in the mind of clients when they learn you are not going to be at their beck and call- it seems to motivate them to try to get their projects done first, and everyone starts coming out of nowhere.

I have used this to my advantage- when things start getting slow, I just start passing the word around that I am going on a trip, or will be gone for a few days on personal business- sometimes I don't even go... other times, I don't even let anyone know until the last possible minute- that really freaks some of them out...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!