Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What was the worst piece of equipment you've owned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What was the worst piece of equipment you've owned?
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was about 15 years ago and was a Graphtec thermal machine which was loosely based on the Edge1. It wrinkled ribbons at a shocking rate and almost drove me insane. To be fair to the company I bought from, they swopped it for a totally different printer after 12 months free of charge. Think I can attribute a lot of my grey hairs to that thing

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROLAND COLOR CAMM. Period. No contest.

$28,000 in printer, supplies, and repairs.....$1800 in work we could actually sell.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I first started to try to cut vinyl I bought a 36" ioline "hot tip" plotter,....then I tried to convert it to a knife,..the whole scenario turned out to be a nightmare,..it didn't track. it was slooooow when cutting. the damn thing took a whole year out of my life all total when it was said and done,....not to mention a hundred long distance phone calls to tech support(God bless some guy in Washington State named Tinney),...the only good thing that came from it was a thorough understanding on my part on the specifics of plotter/pc communications,....when I finally bought a vinyl cutting roland pnc 1000 it only then dawned on me the time and effort wasted on the damn piece of junk.I could have bought a brand new truck for what I paid for the item in question at the time and another one with the lost profits(circa 1990).

[ July 02, 2010, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland ColorCAMM PC-50

-

I entered this picture in the "I love my Roland" contest.

I didn't win.

[ July 02, 2010, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dittos on the Ioline hot-tip plotter and the Roland ColorCamm.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine, Parker McWhorter, got the Ioline hot-tip plotter, which saved me from making that mistake. His observations of my travails with the ColorSCAMM saved him from going down that dark road.

However, we both bought the Gerber GDS (Graphic Design Station) when it first came out, which ran neck and neck with the Ioline and PC50 for the worst ever equipment award. The GDS was digitizing software and hardware based on an Apple IIe. They advertised it as "If you can draw it, you can cut it", which was the biggest lie this side of a used car lot. I sunk about ten grand in that thing and it was absolutely useless. A year or so later, Gerber charged everyone another grand or two for two floppies to update the software from totally atrocious to barely functional. I haven't bought anything with the Gerber label on it since.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland Color Scam

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the exact model but it was a Fargo thermal sheet printer. $5500 or so and printer 17" by 22" inch sheets of vinyl if memory serves.

I sent it back with a month or so lost over a thousand but well worth that than losing everything from no sales from that junk.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland ColorCam PC-600. Worked great until the head needed replacing. Factory replacements came with blown spots in the head. ALL OF THEM!!!! Always expected to get a letter in the mail that there was a class action suit pending over those things.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...

Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Roland ColorCAMM PNC-5000.

At least I bought it cheap enough as factory refurbished that I didn't mind ripping the print head completely off the carriage assembly - by hand - in frustration, thus rendering it into strictly a cutter.

It's a fine cutter though... just sucks as a printer.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T-Jet T-Shirt Printer. $15,000 Door stop biggest POS I had ever seen. And running a close second. Graphtec 7000 130.. I know Graphtec is suppose to be good but I got the biggest lemon ever from them.
I will stick to my Summas

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Byrd:
Always expected to get a letter in the mail that there was a class action suit pending over those things.

Should have been. Of course, like most class action suits the lawyers would have gotten all the money and the ColorScam owners would have ended up with something like "$17.85 off your next Roland purchase" coupons.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat, get a haircut.......heheheh [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned one valuable lesson through the years. I no longer read any sales blurb about new printers, computers, software etc. Have all the equipment I'm ever likely to need. If I do have to upgrade sometime, I'd seek advice here first on what's good or not so good.
I also stay away from the sign trade shows. They're a waste of time I feel because a quick internet search will show me the same products on display at these shows.
The one consistent thing I've noticed in theses posts, is that we've all been caught by buying products that were not tried or tested and clearly not ready for the market

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the Roland PC 600.Always banding issues and ribbons too expensive to make any money with. If you did get the occasional good print,too many times a ribbon would break while printing and you had to start over again.No support on those things, they would just tell you to clean Mac Tac with alcohol and would not admit it had design issues.I bought it thinking it was a cheaper alternative to the Edge.I learned not to buy a product until it has been out long enough to have a good track record.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lasermaster WinPrint 600XL large format laser printer- we bought it at a tradeshow from a screenprinting supplier- they also sold us 11x17 vellum, that when placed thru the printer, turned brittle, jammed up into the printer and tore several large chunks out of the printer drum... then they acted like they never even heard of us, sending us to the manufacturer who wanted about $800 for a new drum- they ended up sending us a new one, since we had only had the printer a week, and there was only 36 prints on it, but it was a huge ordeal and cost us almost 2 weeks of downtime.

We found out real quick that these printers were already obsolete- they worked fine with Win95 (which is what we were running at the time) and worked OK with the first release of Win98- but that was it- they had been phased out and didn't support or even work with anything else (not Win98 second release, NT, 2000...)

Using it was a pain in the butt as well- in order to change paper size, you had to pull out the paper tray, remove these clips and then find the appropriate clip size, then go into the printer software and change all the settings to match the plastic clip (which was very delicate and broke easily- without the clip, it was a giant paper weight) it took about 47 steps just to change from letter to 11x17- miss a step, and it would go into error mode- you had to turn everything off and start the process again...

Once we replaced it, I took great joy using an aluminum baseball bat to "compact it down" for the landfill

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being dependant on those high teck toys, I bought a big yellow quill and used it a few times. Left paint in it and parked it in the old brush can. Ten years later, broke it back out, soaked it in lac thin for a day or so, oiled it up and then used it for three years as a good 3/4" liner. Then it started to shed some hairs. To think I paid all of that money for a brush and it gave me such short service! You would think they would make them better!

Then I bought a quart can of One Shot Lettering Black and after a couple months and about half used, it skinned over and I never though it would be as good. You would think they would make the containers so that you could keep the air out and prevent skinning?

Seriously, I bought a Rockwell grinder one time. It lasted a week, before the gear inside stripped out. I took it back and Monkey Wards gave me another, which lasted another week. I learned then that good tools are expensive and try to buy the best.

Bottom line is that those expensive sign toys are very expensive and how cost effective are they really, if you have to work like crazy to pay for them and have them crash and burn? I sub that work out and mark it up more than the subs do when they sell me the work.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston, I tried a tap screw in the bottom of the can. Also punched drainage holes in the top of a gallon can with an 8 penny nail for drainage.No matter, paint always seems to skin and I just accept it.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skinning, that's what Paint-Sav prevents. I been using it since the early 70's and you can still get it from Sid Moses

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wagner Paint Sprayer

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm not saying I owned it...but for what it cost...and for what I got out of it...I'd say my ex-wife.

[ July 04, 2010, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything made in China!!!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Rusty..Money spent unwisely!!!

Except my ex-wife, after the divorce, turned into the friend she was before we were married. [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine only cost me around 300k. She was a real looker, but at what price? Her son and I are still close and at least she and I are friendly to one another. Lesson learned: never marry a rich girl!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kodak All in One Printer...

It just plain stopped printing after 6 months. I'd done some research and figured out that it needs a new print head. I called Kodak customer support to inquire about getting one.
Abdullah on the other end told me FOUR TIMES that I was wrong, insisted that it was a bad color cartridge and was willing to send me one for free...DESPITE my telling him I'd already replaced it THREE TIMES already.
When he went for round FIVE of telling me I was incorrect, I gave him a diagnosis of my own...that he had rectal cranial infarction...and went immediately to the store for an HP printer.
Kodak's on my do not buy list for eternity...and Abdullah can keep talking out of his butt.

Rapid

[ July 05, 2010, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Haha Ray, hey I like my HP photosmart C7280.I use inks that cost 1/3 of what HP is but the printer/scanner is quality.I'm not cheap... I just don't have much money so I get what I need.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voltage "sniffer," I think made by Gardner-Bender. Way too sensitive. Picked up false positives all the time. You didn't even need it to be too close. I was told it would detect voltage in a hot cup of coffee, and that if you rubbed the end hard, it would beep for that too. I don't know if the guy who told me was joking or not. On the other hand, it wouldn't sense live current if you touched a piece of Romex wire on the neutral side.

An ex-girlfriend told me to touch the side of my head with it to check for a genuine false positive. Not funny.

At any rate, in reading about how these voltage testers work, I've learned some things about phantom electricity, and about the principal of inductance.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexi Pro 5.7

I bought it before Amiable bought them out. After Amiable bought them, tech support was a disaster! I switched to Gerber... No regrets [Smile]

Second one is any Lexmark printer I ever owned. Today, it's HP only. Live & learn. [Smile]

[Cool]

[ July 09, 2010, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my worst purchase was the book,
"How to have a Positive Attitude in the Sign Business" by Bruce Ward.

hahahahahahahaha

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shop vac. brand of wet-dry shop vac

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40' oak extension ladder...weighed about 300 pounds (or maybe it was 500). Also any Black and Decker power tool.

[ July 09, 2010, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Kent Smith ]

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!