Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mike's Lettering Job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mike's Lettering Job
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right in the middle of a large project we were doing for a local builder (that's part of a national company) I had a heart attack and had to be in the hospital for four days.

One of the jobs was lettering both sides of a 54' construction trailer. It was an old one that had been repainted several times and was used for storage on construction sites, as well as advertising.

The company was unveiling their new brand and we did waterjet cut letters for the front of the building, vehicles, and interior signage. All had to come together today for the suits that were in town from 27 states. It was a BIG DEAL!

The problem was that I was in the hospital and my son Mike was left to take care of things while I was in bed trying to figure out what was on my meal tray.

This photo shows Mike putting the finishing touches on the trailer Tuesday afternoon. Before going into the hospital I had made patterns on the plotter from the artwork supplied to us by an advertising agency in Kansas. Mike perforated them and taped everything up.

Mike took it from there and did almost the entire lettering job alone. The large logo was scaled and lines were snapped rather than trying to make a paper pattern. Mike's son Dalton helped with the patterns and snapping the lines. Since we had temperatures at 100 degrees and there was no shade, Mike came in at night, set up lights and finished the job.

You can tell from the photo that the trailer isn't smooth, but is covered with rivits and has double doors in both sides. A real nightmare to letter.

All the red is double coated. One Shot lettering enamels were used.

Needless to say, I am extremely proud of my son for stepping up to the plate and going the extra mile to make sure we met the deadline. Mike also works part time at our local golf course, so there were some long days involved.

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge for a job like this? The artwork was provided and we just made patterns and did the lettering. There's nothing on the back. All paint - no vinyl.

-

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am extremely proud of my son"

And that is one great feeling! There are plenty of challenges along the way, but it's these moments that make them all worth while.

Remember to take care, good to see you again!!

Mick

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$ 150.00 and 2 cases of Lone Star...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once a Chapman, always a Chapman...you have a great son there Ray...get well soon or we'll just have to haul you off to Harding's room, don't make us go U-HAUL on you, lol.....

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, very impressive Mike. You are a good son.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder who his mentor was?

Nice way of stepping to the plate, Mike.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, Glad you're back in the swing of things. Sometimes it seems like bad things happen at the worst possible time. Thankfully Mike did a great job in covering for you. Makes me think I should be better prepared for something like this. Regarding the pricing for the job, I try to figure by the sq. ft. and then do a "walk through" in my mind of the time and material.Then I come up some place in the middle. If this is 54 ft long and guessing 10' high with 50% coverage, that's roughly 270 sq ft painted area. The last job I did in vinyl with rivets came out to about $12 per sq. ft. So 12x270 is $3240. Not sure how to compare painting with vinyl - are they about the same?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!