Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Update on us

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update on us
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my friends, as many of you know, we sold our business back in November of last year. When it came time to close on the deal (give us the $$$ and us hand over the keys) the man said his investors had backed out and he could only come up with about half of what we had agreed upon. After some discussion and though, we decided that, since we were neck deep in the deal, we would do an addendum to the contract and let him have the business. What we got was not enough to do a start-up somewhere else, like we had planned. Fast forward 6 months... things have not gone smoothly; we have not been paid what was agreed upon and what we have gotten has always been late.

We fulfilled our agreement to move from the area, even moving to another state. I gave two extra weeks of training (which I did not charge for), made sales (which we did not collect a commission for) and gave lots of consultation.

We are now at the decision to call the note due to default on the buyers part. We do not want to move back to Warner Robins. We actually want to move to the Pacific northwest or northern California (above the 2,000' elevation). If we have to take our equipment back I'm not sure what we will do. We still have to make ends meet so at this point in time I am exploring the possibility of doing traveling to consult with sign shop owners and help them. I have a lot to offer. Also, I would like to offer myself as a "babysitter" for those wanting to take off for vacation, sickness, burnout or any other reason. I can do it all, from front to back. Please PM me if you are interested in this.

I've missed you guys a lot but didn't feel it was good to stay on here since I was not in the sign business anymore.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like you never really got out of it-- just took a long expensive hiatus...

Sorry your deal didn't go the way you were planning

good to see you back

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky....sorry for all your grief.
I have wondered where you got to. In my opinion you are always welcome here (signs or not).....you are still part of the Letterhead family....nice to know you are still around.
Good luck in your onging adventures.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree with Susan... always welcome in Letterville!

don't know enough detail to really have good advice, but a business broker would be part of any deal i got into like that, and if there wasn't one at the start, maybe it's worth talking to one now... I certainly wouldn't think you have to let the buyer keep what you sold him if he defaults on paying you... and if that's where it's at, even though you don't wish to take it on, then perhaps it's yours to sell... again.. so a qualified business broker look into that, and maybe even the fact of him doing some looking might encourage the current buyer to come through further with honoring his original deal?

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happens Ricky, I still have your diploma from A of A complete with your name on it [Smile]

P.S. my grow is aweSome [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about your circumstances. When things go bad, they really go bad, don't they?

My best wishes for you. I really don't have any solutions beyond what has been said.

Down here we are still standing on our tip-toes trying to keep our head above water...just like a lot of othe folks.

If your travels ever take you near Texas, please drop by and see us.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words and advice my friends. My bro in law is up for a few days and we got to talking about the sign biz and how I got into it. I told him about how the Letterheads had changed my life and the friends that I made at my very first meet, about 25 years ago, they are still friends today. I have said many times that Letterheads are some of the most intelligent and creative people in the world. I'll always be proud to be a part of this beautiful movement.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was just thinking about you guys, and then you post an update. How cool is that? Hang in there! I want to move south, but not just yet. We are addicted to grand children. [Smile] Hope all goes well from here forward. Take care!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, thanks for checking in and letting us know what's up. Hope things get straightened out soon - limbo is not a fun place to live.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from you Ricky! Things will all work out in the end somehow... they always do. If you have your border woes worked out I would love to see you if you get up this way.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeay! Ricky is back! [Smile]

Ricky, maybe you could sell to someone else. Or maybe there is some reason the Good Lord is calling you back to the sign business?

Anyway, I sure am glad you are here, to me, you never left!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from you Ricky. I've been thinking of you but then got preoccupied with my own situation the last couple months. I hope things work out well.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey man! I thought the RMCP must have sent down bounty hunters and snatched you away to the great white north. Really good to hear from you.

If you re-possess your equipment and need a place to store a couple of printers, I can provide storage for you for a very low price. I will even run some material through them occasionally to make sure the heads do not clog....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ricky. If you were to re-start in your original area by subbing out your work at first, maybe the threat you would pose to the buyer of your business, might force his hand to either pack up or pay up. I see you don't want to move back there, but a few months might force his hand. Best of luck

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, it's great to hear from you,(thought maybe you got the Alaskan Bug) Told by brother if you ever hear the name Ricky Jackson up here Halibut fishing let me know.

Sorry about the business & I know Michigan is the opposite direction in your ways of thinking, but if ever this way it would be great to meet you.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That babysitting business' while others vacation is a great idea!

Glad you don't need to repo house and trucks also.

Does the equipment hold any resale value in today's market?

Keep moving forward.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Thanks again guys! The only way the equipment would be worth much would be to use it. It wouldn't bring much just selling it outright. The way technology goes, the stuff you buy today is outdated next month; within a year they have something a lot better, and lower priced than what you bought. So the only way to make it pay is to use it.

I think about what the late Mike Stevens told me once; actually, he wrote it in my Mastering Layout book: "Take a path or heart". If I do that then I'm heading to California; that is really where we want to be. We've talked about Washington, and Oregon but Cali appeals to us most - but just the northern part.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop over to see Rixax...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish you the Best.Sounds like a change of scene will do you right.California is beautiful but I had to make a change of scene as I remember how it used to be.Lots of good folk out there.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best wishes Ricky. I hope you find a good spot to settle.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your business woes, Ricky. It's really sad that there are so few trustworthy people out there these days.

We'll be praying for your good ending to this deal, and that you'll wind up where you want to be, or need to be.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!