Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question - Gemini Letters on Dibond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question - Gemini Letters on Dibond
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, you know how you have to think things through many steps before proceeding on a job ... our scenario is this:

16' x 4' sign - Gemini letters mounted to Dibond (and digital print logo as Gemini could not create their logo) - should we use plywood as a backer or mount only to Dibond?

The sign will have a frame made of a 'wood look' decking composite, like Millennium brand, and the sign will be mounted on siding (siding is on a concrete block building).

I suggested to the client to mount the letters directly to the building, but they want this framed look to go with their building.

At first we suggested they use a backer of plywood, treated and sealed, but second guessed that thought, due to both the weight factor, but also as the wood weathers the Dibond will take the shape of the wood as it warps and swells over time, and will begin to tax the dimensional letters.

The sign will be mounted somewhat away from the siding, so the post, washer and nut can extrude out the back without touching, which is great.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions - anything we haven't thought of? Thank you!!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori,

I made something very similar. 4x20 Dibond with Gemini letters.
I made a frame on the back side of the Dibond of 1-inch square aluminum tube, recessed from the edge about an inch. I didn't weld any of it together. I used corner brackets made of plastic from Outwater Plastics. The frame was held to the Dibond with VHB tape and pop-rivets. I included three vertical struts in the center (one at the seam). This made for a pretty rigid, yet lightweight sign, easily installed.

Of course, the aluminum tube allowed plenty of room on the backside for nutting the studs. The letters were Gemini's Minnesota letters, which had straight returns about an inch in depth. I sprayed them metallic gold and they resembled cast metal letters when finished. I made an additional frame for the face of the sign out of the same 1-inch tube. I mitered the corners on this frame and installed it to the face flush with the edge of the Dibond. This raised border was painted the same metallic gold as the letters. The background color was stock black Dibond.

The sign was very simple and fast to build and easy to install. It was for some lawyers and looked very good on the blond stone facade of their building.

If you were to use an aluminum tube frame on the back, the composite wood frame pieces could easily be installed to the sides of the tubing with stainless steel sheet metal screws. The plastic wood would add weight to the sign, but still allow for an easy install.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done them several times using Brad's method.

Just installed one simply using Gemini's aluminum spacers to make room for the nuts & studs on the back. Both methods work great. I love using the square aluminum tube, the problem lately is getting it where I live.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Brads method, but I would normally use .040" or .063" aluminum and skip the Dibond. The heavy frame might warrant the thicker material though.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have 2 signs up 3 years now with Gemini combo (studs & pads at top, pads at bottom). Just use lots of good exterior glue. These signs are on Howard Industries panel with frame so there was about 3/4 inch clearance for the studs to go through the aluminum panel. There is no need for fasteners on the back side. I would have no problem replicating this with dibond type panels, but would make a back frame from aluminum tubing since the size will be more than a single panel. Rivet and glue the dibond to the frame.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!