Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What plotter cuts the smallest detail?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What plotter cuts the smallest detail?
Ray Skaines
Visitor
Member # 3702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Skaines   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Skaines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the market for a new plotter soon. I would like a plotter that can cut vinyl in very small details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

--------------------
Ray Skaines
League City, Tx
www.srsigns.com

Posts: 130 | From: League City, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If budget Allows.. Summa.. It all I would ever buy.. Had a 54" Graphtec and It was a real Lemon.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cricut - after all it is made for scrapbooking. [Razz]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not mine ... unless it is new ... and it ain't ...

One way to superior detail is to buy vinyl with clear silicone backer. I buy it for my worn out roland when I need to cut lotsa text. It creates less drag on blade and that changes everything. Even my Zeta loves it, and it is crap for detail thanx to blade design.

I think it is Scotchcal 7125 ... I get mine from Gregory ...

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one with the freshest blade.

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty happy with my Summa also, Ray. I'd buy another.

Beyond the cut, a cutter (like anything really) is only as good as the company's customer service that backs it up....and Summa has been wonderful.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would rather drop an Xacto knife on my foot 25 times while wearing flip-flops than weed extremely tiny lettering or graphics, no matter what vinyl cutter it was cut with.....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Skaines
Visitor
Member # 3702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Skaines   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Skaines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] I agree with you on that one Jon.

My 17 year old 15" HS Gerber plotter is just about worn out. I like what I'm hearing about the Summa's. I like to purchase products that have good customer & tech support.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Ray

--------------------
Ray Skaines
League City, Tx
www.srsigns.com

Posts: 130 | From: League City, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ability to get the cut right also becomes fairly important when cutting laminated stuff ... will you be wanting this to cut printed and laminated vinyl? I farm out digitally printed stuff, and it really sucks when the pressure is too great and the backing is half sliced up. The reverse of this, where you couldn't weed it because it didn't cut through deep enough would be bad too. Haven't had the latter problem delivered to me yet.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite sure why Bill had problems with his Graphtec, but mine cut letters down to .25 inch flawlessly when I needed that type of stuff. I still use it today and it stack right up there with the 4B on reliability.

Came with a 3 year bulletproof replacement warranty, and never needed it. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if its smaller than a 1/2" have it printed...aint no way in hell Im weedin somn that small

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Jon,

I'd rather be eaten alive by Fire Ants.

I have three plotters, two gerbers and one Summa and haven't turn any of them on in a month. That's not to say we're slow on work.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree with Bob; I have no problems with my Graphtec.

Much as I hate doing them, it'll cut very tiny letters with no problem. The blades are very thin and tiny and do details well. They also last a very long time......longer than most.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Gerber sprint and old S750, I bought a Summa Sign Pro T series with tangential knife a T750 over 10 years ago, its still going strong. We just bought a new Summa an S Class T140, which is also tangential as opposed to drag knife, comes also with OPOS as standard.

We use it with Gerber Omega software but the plotter comes with plugins for Illustrator and Corel.

We bought a 1400mm as we have a Roland Soljet Pro 3, 54" printer and matching 1400 Sallmetall laminator, sometimes you might want to cut printed media abit faster. A tangential head is a big plus on small stuff and also on thicker materials like sand blast resist etc.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Skaines
Visitor
Member # 3702

The drum rubber on my old Gerber HS 750 just melted recently. No way I'm going to fork over $1200 for a new drum. That money is going to towards a new plotter. Still undecided but I must say thanks for everyone's input.

I'm going to hire someone to weed my vinyl so's I don't get eaten alive by Fire ants and stuck by knives with #11 exacto blades.
[Rolling On The Floor]

R

--------------------
Ray Skaines
League City, Tx
www.srsigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!