Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sad News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad News
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favorites is gone....

Frank Frazetta died this past Monday... he was an inspiration to many many Airbrush and Traditional artists alike.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/05/10/national/a134451D12.DTL&type=business#ixzz0nZ2r0NWS

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so very sad to see the "Great Ones" pass on.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think every artist that has picked up an air brush has copied one of his paintings. I had to paint the one of the viking that was on the Molly Hatchett album cover. Holding that big bloody axe heading straight for you was very popular. I painted it on a sweatshirt for my nephew who is a Minnesota Vikings fan. I was a big hit.

Frank was an awsome artist and will be remembered for his amazing talent and the many famous illustrations he has left us with.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes an amazing artist I copied some of his work when I was a teen. He was a master of his craft. Neil, I haven't seen his work in so long I had forgotten about him I'm so glad you shared this. I will review his work and get re inspired.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, like many others found Frazetta's work new, refreshingly in your face, pointed and always w/a flourish, and like many, I'll miss him even though my only experience w/him was getting sued over copyright infringement, he won, I paid over $15,000 to get the right to say I shook his hand...to this day I still believe it was more the lawyers than Frank...he was truly impressed w/job we duplicated (Maid in the Garden)...to comply w/court order we made seven major changes in artwork we did, paid him and it was over...

Go in peace Mr. Frazetta, you've made a great contribution to the world of art, your fans will miss you...R.I.P.

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utterly unique & inspiring eye-candy for many generations...RIP Frank.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long time comic fan, I first saw Frazetta's work during high school. It had a lasting inspirational impact on my own style to this day.
His use of light and shadow set him apart from his peers of the time. His unique style could truly capture a moment within a story.

My favorite piece by Frazetta...

-

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first books on fantasy art that i ever purchased were by Frazetta. Yes, he certainly was a true inspiration. Like many airbrush artists the Viking was also one of my earliest paintings when i was still in high school. Should get out the airbrush and do it again, just for old time sake.

may he rest in peace...

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I airbrushed that Molly Hatchet Cover on a Van in the late 70's, He will never be duplicated.

Magoo that was interesting, I wonder if he could have sued an 18 year old small time Airbrush Artist for doing his work on Vans? I bet he could have.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't he a traditional oil painter and not an airbrush artist?

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David I believe you are correct. He painted in both oils and watercolor that I know of. He was a reference to study at the Academy of Art when I was there. Geez I guess that was awhile ago.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!