Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How well can you barter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How well can you barter?
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a sign for a church Spring Luncheon a few years ago and each year they bring the 3'x4' 2-sided sign back to change the date. My grandparents and my family used to attend there when I was growing up. Since I've been married, I joined my wife's church which was closer to where we live. I still know a few of the members that attend there.

I only have to change one or two numbers on this sign each year and couldn't see charging them since it was a fund-raiser anyway. I told them to just bring me a apple pie and that would be fine.

I guess they felt very generous this year and brought me two layer cakes and 2 dozen peanut butter cookies from a bakery!! I only changed one number on each side this year.

Sometimes the little surprises in life are the best.

Yes, I will work for food. (sometimes!)

Any unusual bartering stories out there?

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bartered for a used car one time, many many years ago.. also a brand new freezer full of beef. Yea, Food and Cars, that works for me.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to do work for a designer at a local resort. She was always a bit late delivering the artwork. . . .and she always brought a large plate of home made cookies. . .and she always got her job done on time.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swapped signs for body work on my shop truck at a local body shop.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once traded a small black light for a mandolin, back in 1968. The owner of the mandolin was a Viet-Nam Vet, who later passed on from the effects of Agent Orange. He and I became very good friends and I still have the mandolin. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I barter sign work for pictures of dead presidents, they seem to be rare these days and everyone wants to collect them. [Smile] It even seems the Government is into collecting them too. Kinda odd seeing as they actually print the darn things. Can't they just make more? lol

[ April 15, 2010, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may not be a wise thread to participate in.

[ April 15, 2010, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be glad to share with you all my extensive use of the barter system. I have many years experience with this and have a few secret tricks. Just send $25 dollars to my post office box and I will send you back my top ten list of bartering tricks.
-Elmer Signworthy
PO Box 0000
Anywhere, USA

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, bartered for lots of things:

Did a lot of work over the years for a local art gallery and traded for Limited Edition Prints (framed). I still enjoy looking at them.

Several signs for a dentist friend. Silver crown in my mouth and lots of dental work for Jeanne.

Several very nice evenings out with Jeanne at a local high end restaurant.

Had a standing credit file for a local nursery - I did their vehicles and other signage and they provided plants and such. We kept the bartering going for years until the place was sold to a new owner.

Lots of small, quick jobs for meals, car parts, etc.

The best exchange was a job I did for a local PreSchool. They liked the sign so much I got to sleep with the director...who happened to be my wife.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond,
How dare you mix pleasure with serious work! At least you married her and made a respectable woman out of her.

Being single, myself, has put me into numerous situations with female clients. Fortunately for me, most of my clients are male car dogs and they are all business. Still. the occasional female client drifts past my invoice book and I have been known to avail myself of some of the extra credit items not usually permitted in such business practises. No warranty intended. It is not really part of the bartering process, but more about taking a stab at 'client research'?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sauls:
This may not be a wise thread to participate in.

IRS?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully, Bob, the statute of limitations has passed on my previous bartering endeavors so the IRS agent who is diligently monitoring our BB won't be able to retroactively pursue me for back taxes.

In the DISTANT PAST, I've swapped for dental work, a bicycle, stereo system, kegs of beer, dinners, tires, tools, building materials, landscaping - most anything.

I did a sandblasted sign for a beach house at Edisto Island and traded for a week's stay - complete with use of a boat and golf cart.
I also swapped a boat dealer for a brand new 19' Bayliner ski boat years ago.

The only caveat I'd offer is make sure you get your end of the deal quickly. Time has a way of dissipating the payoff......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston - we had been married for 40 years at the time, so she was already respectable. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartering other ppls internet postings for a friendly IRS audition

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got three signatures on a baseball for a $200 sign. John Oulerud, Robbie Alomar and Paul Moliter. All 1993 Blue Jays. Finished 1, 2 and 3 in American League batting standings. Only time it happened in the 20th century.

I still have the ball in a sealed display case. Sign is long gone.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRS?

Paranoia, deep destroyer

I've always done my thing in a bartering manner when money became a issue. I cannot remember ever losing a job due to any situation until I moved out of the real world and into the holy war zone

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lettered name on 2 BMX bikes for a bike helmet in Palm Desert

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

IRS? There is no statute of limitations of fraud and cheating on your taxes is exactly why the law is on the books. Even though they usually only run audits back seven years, if they have information about some earlier event, they can prosecute. Not worth the Class E Felony IMHO.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once did a job for a jeweler, a small wood panel, lettered for an agreed price of $180. When I finished and he was ready to write a check I pointed to a watch with a $250 price tag and said I would trade for that. He said "But that's a $250 watch, the sign is only $180. (I don't know what the markup on the watch is but its something). I said, OK, nevermind, just give me the check. He paused, thought about it and gave me the watch. Edit to add: I like to get an agreed price before mentioning bartering or sometimes it gets into who's time is worth more and markups and all that. Is this one of Preston's tricks?

[ April 16, 2010, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had another customer, a men's clothing store who gave me ongoing work, showcards and stuff. Remember those? Our agreement was I would trade for clothes and he would give me I forget what pecentage off the price tag. It went well for a while until one day he said he didn't think it seemed fair that I wasn't giving him xx% off my price. I said I would rather be paid by check if he didn't want to give me xx% off. The discount is what enticed me to trade. I don't really want to work for clothes regularly at the regular price. He went out of business so I don't know what would have happened.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sssshhhh...what goes on in barterland stays in barterland.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a moment of indecision on the subject, years ago, my Dad enlightned me on the rules and legal path to follow in bartering. It also eliminates most problems associated w/issues over fair worth. It simply is: exchange receipts, written to reflect such worths, and enter them into your annual IRS report, done deal. A little, fair amount of tax is cheaper than the alternative...

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swapped a couple of 4x8 signs for a Jeep, window lettering for Jeep tires, door lettering for Jeep paint, and countless other jobs all trading out for Jeep stuff.

I am currently in the bartering process with a local bar owner who wrote me $1800 worth of checks on a closed account. I'm willing to let him give me cash by Monday and in trade I won't send his ass to jail.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat.... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just kidding about my trades - seriously, Mr. Tax Man - it was all hypothetical..........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat, I talked to the bar owner. He said if you deduct the ass-whuppin' you've promised him from the bill as well, he'll be there Monday with the cash. Otherwise he can only pay $1,000... he said he needs to keep the other $800 for hospital bills.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do some date changes on local county fair signs every year. in return, we get to store my wife's Mustang there every winter.

I've lost count of how many tows, repairs and the like I've bartered over the years.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having a tough time without bartering. I bartered almost everything for years and years! It's painful to find cash when you don't have it and to charge what it is really worth.

A lot of sign jobs came to me with bartering and I fed my children, fixed my car, got karate and gymnastic lessons, as well as chiropractic, massage, and many other necessities.

Back in the 1930's my father wired his dentist's chair so it would go up and down and they gave him a full mouth of dentures as his went bad early back in those days.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traded a sign for a divorce years ago. I never figured out if that was a cheap divorce or an expensive sign.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!