Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Installed at last!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Installed at last!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The farm sign finally got put in it's final spot today. After much debate and lots of input from family members and friends the sign was finally deemed perfect It got turned and twisted numerous times before a final decision was made. The landscaper was handy with the bucket of dirt and it was officially planted. Some green ground cover is still to come but it looks great in it's new home.

-

And just for fun I include a shot of the last sign which identified the farm...

-

On to the next in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ March 19, 2010, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOTALLY AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!

And YES I am screaming.

Well done Dan, you make it look so simple and testiment to being able to produce what one imagines. 10/10

Cheers - G

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup,

The finishing touch on every dimensional sign is to put it outdoors in real sunshine!

Looks GREAT! [Applause]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding work as usual.

I'm now wondering if Steve & Barb should just "86" the portfolio page since most everyone seems to be posting project pictures in this forum.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan. Absolutely superb. Not sure if I'm inspired or whether I should give up this signs game altogether. One question I have, roughly how much would you get for a terrific project like this. I'm not expecting you to disclose your pricing strusture.
Here in Ireland, at the moment, while I know I have the machinery and ability to get somewhere close to your quality of work. most of my clients can barely afford correx signs at the moment.
Should I move Dan?

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully the sign inspires you Kevin. For those who missed the other thread. It shows the building process, breakdown of time involved and discusses the price we got too.

http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/55662.html

The sign commission came about because I spent time building an elaborate display featuring the type of work we WANTED to do. A landscaper saw our display at a local trade show and then recommended us to the farmer. From here it's our hope that other farmers and property owners see the sign and want something similar for themselves... and so it goes. Build it and they WILL come!

-grampa dan

[ March 20, 2010, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your work is truly inspirational to me

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome sign, it fits its surroundings and the mountain view at the top could almost be a "window" to the real mountains behind the sign! [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely one of the nicest farm signs I've ever seen. Apparently farmers in Canada know how to make a profit so they can afford a sign like that. In my area most of them are barely hanging onto their farms.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another famous Sawatzky design. Who knew he could do straight lines, too?

One thing that always impresses me about Dan is how his photography adds such a dramatic atmosphere to his work.

My process would probably have been a little different than Dan's - I would have layered the lettering...but I certainly can't compete with the design or application.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring the rest of us, Dan.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again.

Raymond's comments about my photos made me want to comment again. Outstanding photos are critical in the promotion of our work. They don't just happen by accident. Each is carefully planned to make it so.

In this case I planned the install when I knew the light was going to be right right. It saved a trip back to the site. Later in the afternoon the sign was in shadow. The background in the picture wasn't very nice, lots of clutter and I couldn't do anything about that. I took the time to rake the dirt nice and smooth and move the tools and other bits of scrap out of the way.

When I took the picture I actually laid down on the driveway, close to the sign and used a fairly wide angle lens. The owner thought I was crazy but it was the best way to get the shot I wanted. Shooting slightly off center to the left hid most of the background clutter and maximized the sky in the shot. This dramatic angle made the sign look bigger too. I took lots of shots and adjusted my exposure to make sure I got what I wanted. I shot on the highest resolution I could.

When I got home I opened the photos in Photoshop and selected the best one. I cropped it some and then set about correcting the color balance and contrast. I corrected the key stoning in the picture caused by the wide angle lens and low angle of the shot and then cropped the picture to its final size.

Then there was the issue of the power pole - it had to go! Using the clone tool I used bits of surrounding background and sky to take it out. It took about five minutes. While not perfect the shot it is now worthy of being in my portfolio.

Here's the original shot...
 -
and here's the final shot for comparison...
 -

-grampa dan

[ March 20, 2010, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Fantastic!!!But you should have one with you in the Photo for your Portfolio.. for Size perspective.

Edited to say.. after looking at it again, it looks a lot bigger installed than it did in your shop.

[ March 20, 2010, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I kinda liked the old one they had. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sure look expensive to shop at. I hope their product is as good as the sign. [Smile] Beautiful outcome! Very rich and high end.

I'm also with Raymond. What did they do with the old one?!? WANT! I really do. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Dan. Out of curiosity, what are you backing your foam with? it looks pretty thick. We've been using 3/4 MDO behind our 1.5" signfoam and have been suddenly having problems with the sign foam cracking. This being on it's own and not getting hit. We're not sure it the MDO expanding/contracting and causing the cracks or a foam problem.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 911 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking sign Dan as always, its been fun watching the step by step, send abit of that BC sunshine our way, snow's starting to melt here after a long winter, looking forward to longer days and blue skies.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

Are you using an SLR camera with interchangeable lenses?

If so, you might want to look into Tilt-Shift lenses. They allow you to correct for the converging lines right in the camera before you take the shot. You can also go the opposite way and enhance them for artistic effect. Also, you can actually change the focus plane of the lens itself which can produce some interesting F/X, like making a "live photo" appear as if it's a photo of a highly detailed miniature scene.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan it looks great, just wondering if you photoshopped the post out of the BG...Thanks

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perfect...I especially like the color you chose for the sky. [Wink]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!