Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Still Another Before and After

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still Another Before and After
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today we finished up several projects for a local apartment complex. Earlier I had posted a sandblasted sign that we repainted.

This photo is the before shot of one of two 5' x 10' metal signs that we repainted. They are single faced.

The interesting part is that I designed this sign about 25 years ago. At that time all sketches were done by hand and presentations were made with colored pencils. To show two options - one with a light background and the other with a dark background, a swatch down the middle was maroon and the sides were cream.

We didn't get the job but the company that did just took the sketch and reproduced it exactly as I had drawn it. Unfortantly, the company that I worked for at the time did not get any design fee or deposits, so our competitor just took the customers sketch and did the job...at about half what we proposed.

Our "repaint" included a new piece of aluminum, painted with automotive enamels and then finished with vinyl. We removed the retainers and painted them and pop riveted the new panel over the old one and reinstalled the retainers. We also repainted the posts.

-

-

Cost: two panels @ 1,000

The othe part of the project was to replace two directional signs that had been done previously by a sign company that since has gone out of business. There are two double faced signs approximately 2' x 3'. The oval is a separate panel. Materials are MDO, Porter acrylics, high performance vinyl and redwood posts.

-

-

Cost: two @ $500

We had been asked several times to submit bids on redoing these sign. It seems that every time a new manager or owner comes on the scene they want all the signs redone, but usually nothing ever proceeds past the estimating stage.

When the new owners asked for prices to redo these signs my first thought was "Here we go again". I even told her that we had submitted prices for doing this several times but nothing was ever done... but I did go and talk with them and upon giving some preliminary ideas of cost, they decided to go ahead with the project. Surprise, surprise. You just never know.

[ March 19, 2010, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Ray!!!!!!

Excuse me while I clean chicken soup off my montor. The deal with the sketch is just too funny [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful!

As always.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful upgrade Ray. The sketch story is too funny. The office sign really pops.

Again I'm now wondering if Steve & Barb should just "86" the portfolio page since most everyone seems to be posting project pictures in this forum.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you posting Ray. Hopefully things are looking up for you.

Cheers - Gregg

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weston Pulley
Visitor
Member # 10330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weston Pulley   Email Weston Pulley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to say that I admire Mr. Chapman's work. I enjoy seeing all the great designs and sign creations from all the talented people of Letterville... but I have the greatest admiration for Ray's work. Something about his work, just speaks to me. Clean, fresh, distinguished are a few words that come to mind. Although dimensional signs are few and far between (for myself), when the time comes, I always look at Ray's work and his articles in Signcraft and older Sign Business mags for inspiration.

--------------------
Weston Pulley
WP Signs Plus
Nova Scotia

Posts: 44 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Raymond. I hope things continue to increase for you!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiffy!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all...especially Weston - you made my day.

Weston, what part of Nova Scotia? I have great grandchildren in Sydney Mines.

This job kept the electricity and phone from being turned off...so, you just never know what is around the next corner.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weston Pulley
Visitor
Member # 10330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weston Pulley   Email Weston Pulley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anytime Raymond.

I'm located in Digby...world famous scallops! So, the grandchildren live in Cape Breton. Beautiful scenery, especially along the Cabot Trail.

--------------------
Weston Pulley
WP Signs Plus
Nova Scotia

Posts: 44 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Raymond! Colours are strong and clean, I agree. Love the outer shape of the office sign.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work raymond glad to see your keeping busy, were busy too, been many late nights this last week.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice upgrade as always .. sure do like looking at your before and afters

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice job Ray

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chappy,

Good going. Here's another example of clean, well designed signs. As always I know they will last for years.

It's encouraging to know work his work has picked up. I know how troubling that must be. Now we only need to worry about his getting the Big Head. O well, he's such a nice guy, we can porbably allow that.

Interesting thought Dave Sherby brings up. What is the need for the Portfolio Page when it's disregarded. Also, many posts which belong in Setp by Step end up in the general message area.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!