Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » ' I'm the guy... '

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ' I'm the guy... '
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of farms surround us. We live in a farming community. I believe each of these farms NEED a quality, dimensional sign for their property too. We've marketed to these folks for a while now. Some dimensional signs are featured in our display and on our website.

We've seen a lot of interest, done a few proposals, even done a couple of signs as gifts for friends in the hope of sparking some sales. But as of yet haven't sold a sign to a farmer... until this week.

Two guys in a big shiny black truck drove up our driveway last week. They were looking for a sign for their farm and heard 'I was the guy'. They looked at our samples and through the portfolio and liked what they saw. After a little discussion they left me to do a proposal. I did a site visit and a quick drawing which they liked... and ordered a sign for the farm.

It will be a beauty... bevelled, gold leaf lettering, routed woodgrain, with a dimensional, hand carved pictorial. It measures 8' x 6' x 6" thick.

-

The farm is in the middle of a agricultural area on a busy crossroads. It's our hope lots of their neighbors see it and want one for their farm too. And I hope word spreads that 'I am the guy.' [Smile]

-grampa dan

[ February 22, 2010, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt about it ...... You are "THE GUY" !

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photo is just a square with a red X. Kinda plain for a Sawatzky job.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it does mark the spot Raymond. Less is more.

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'X' mark is kinda straight... I doubt he did it himself!

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know when I sign with an "X", I usualy
need a co-signer.
Maybe it's another of his Pirate theme signs and he hasn't added the scull behind the crossed bones yet.

[ February 22, 2010, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Sandy Baird ]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sure can tell business is slow, can't you?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dash beside the red X is what really sets it off. I would have never thought of using a black dash in combination with a red X... but that's why he calls it Imagination Corporation....

Great Job, Grampa Dan...  -  -

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's the woodgrain white background behind the X that really sets it off... now THAT'S imagination.

[ February 22, 2010, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Gregg Parkes ]

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see a black short horizontal line- something that I really didn't expect to see from Dr Seuss- but I guess by the time he's added magic sculpt to it, welded a few more horizontal lines to it, and painted it, it might resemble a cartoon tractor ploughing a paddock...

Can't wait to find out!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen that before, [I Don t Know] I do believe he may have copied someone's design.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what you guys think. I like it.The graphic needs to be reverse blasted on 1/2 " glass and painted with lacquers.That'll teach ya to put it out there!!!

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

I think there was a lot of hard thought that went into this design.

With intricately placed juxtapose iconic slashes it transcends the boundaries of language and borders.

nuff said [Smile]

I hope spring gets here soon, it think I've
been cooped up indoors too long.

[ February 22, 2010, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Sandy Baird ]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy you guys are sure hard on a simple design.. I can't wait until you tear into the real deal... which I can see perfectly on my Mac without any problem...

Here's another try at posting...

-

-grampa dan

[ February 22, 2010, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what their problem is I can see the original post perfectly on my Mac......

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the icon shows up on your photobucket but when I click on the icon it shows a little black bar again.
time to get a pc...again [Smile]

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me a while to figure out what the problem was.... turns out I had saved it in CMYK mode instead of RGB... Mac could see it no problem... but PC's only saw the x... Oh well... it was fun anyhow.

-grampa dan

[ February 22, 2010, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful, nice shape, the outline is attractive and distinctive without going o.t.t. The diamonds set a nice frame on either side of the copy. The gold text with green outline is very attractive. The contrasting green of the flourishes attractively picks up the colour of the crop, the graphic (is it dimensional?) yells this is my farm and it's in B.C and we're darn proud of it. But it looks an awful lot like a sign. :oP

Well done.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mountains and field graphic will definitely be dimensional with 7-8" of depth from front to back. Everything else will have 1-2" of relief. The mountain is a local one... Mount Cheam. (pronounced chee-am)

I got confirmation of another farm sign today... this one is for an alpaca/llama farm locally and will feature a somewhat cartoon alpaca and llama heads in full 3D of course. It looks like I'm in the farm sign business at last!

-grampa dan

[ February 23, 2010, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

No, that can't be a Sawatzky sign! There's just too many straight lines. Someone has taken over Dan's body.

It looks great, though. That new Mac computer must be tremendous.

Don't tell me that Sowhatshisname is becoming "normal"!

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I don't think there is too much danger of me being "normal" - whatever that is... at least according to my family.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan it looks great, Will there be a unique post application as well? I can see the 3-D of the graphic pretty sweet...colours remind me of Christmas and are a wonderful way of making people feel good about the place without them really knowing why...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice design - is the sandblast texture done with your bitmap files or Photoshop?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on breaking into a new "market" Dan. Hope it brings you much fun and success.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Dan!

Cant wait to see it come to life.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be glad you don't live in Southwestern PA, where a farmer's ideal sign is made from coroplast.
Preferably blank coro so they can letter it themselves with a marker.
They often come around begging for free cut offs.
Last farm sign I did was small, hand painted, and traded for two medium-sized pumpkins.
And the guy thought that was too expensive.
[Smile]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love seeing these. I used to see alot of very fabcy painted cattle signs all over Kansas, but have not seen so many lately. The need is real as rain, cause who can find the place if no one knows where it is and the sign distiinguishes the homestead. Most rural people do take alot of pride in their 'estates' and a great looking sign, such as this one, certainly broadcasts quality and wholesome tidiness. Bravo for sending out the marketing to get some of them and would love to see this thing grow out here.
Very impressed.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking sign Dan, loking forward to seeing it in progress.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Jill's comment reminded me of so many farm signs I see in these parts. Most are faded and peeling plywood signs done ages ago and haven't been replaced yet.

But I am positive there is a market for quality (read that expensive) farm signage. I am confident that one sign will bring the next, and as other farmers see them they will want the same for their farm. That being said I am also sure I will send lots of farmers back down my driveway without selling them a sign for I will either sell them a quality dimensional sign or nothing. I don't want to do all the farm signs in town... only the best ones.

I would happily take a bet that in the coming years a lucrative market will be developed in the area and I will sell a bunch of these signs. Selling less than top end signs may well make me a few bucks in the short term but it would do me and the market more harm by simply setting the bar too low. I certainly know which signs I want to be known for.

I want to be 'the guy' in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ February 23, 2010, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

OK...I'll take that bet. I'll bet you don't sell more than a thousand at $10,000 each.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Your definition of a bunch is different than mine when it's translated into Texan...

And I don't think I'll live long enough to build a thousand of them. But I will sell and build a British Columbia bunch (which is a little less than a WHACK!) in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Now you got my curiosity up. How much do you charge for one of these?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

This one went for just under 9K Preston.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really Nice... is it Double sided or Single sided?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Single sided. We discussed making it double sided but that took it out of the budget.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason it took it out of the budget was the PITL (Pain In The Line) fee. Dan couldn't do two sides with straight lines without putting that charge in.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!