Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How-to build a car/sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How-to build a car/sign
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little over a year ago I built a little truck/sidewalk sign and stuck it out by the road. I was convinced I had discovered the next best thing since sliced bread. The reaction was immediate and it was the reaction I was hoping for. Our little red truck sign was an instant landmark.

But as much as people took notice and even stopped to inquire about the little truck, wanting one for their own I never sold one. People always choked at the price. But I was confident my price was right and the reluctance to buy was more the result of the times we were in. It turns out I was right but a little off on my timing on account of the economy.

This past weekend I showed the truck once more in a trade show I entered. The little truck grabbed every ones attention once again. Time and time again I heard people say "Here's the guy from Yarrow... and we were far from home. People recognized the little truck. They also wanted one for their own business.

One guy in particular really took notice. He owned a heating business and he wanted a red truck or his own to park in front of his building. But he didn't want my little red truck.. he wanted me to custom build a special one for him. It turns out the price I thought our truck was worth was a little low. I asked for and got twice the price I was asking last year.

Now I'm determined to sell more of these little units. I have another customer asking for a 1950's style truck and another wants a little coupe. In the meantime I'm hard at work on the little gas station, pumps and car I took a deposit on last week. Here's the progress so far...

I picked up the wheels just before the weekend. Yesterday morning I started with this...

-

By quitting time it was looking pretty good and starting to look like a car...

-

Tonight after a bit more welding and then some Abracadabra Sculpt it was ready for its first cruise. Most of the progress on the sculpt was on the other side...

-

The eye bolts on the top of the windshield and seat are to tie it down in transit and also lift it into place when we get there. The driver's door is left off so visitors can easily get in the car for photos. By tomorrow we should be almost done the rough coat. Then the fun begins.

Stay tuned for progress...

-grampa dan

[ February 16, 2010, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a pic of the driver's side to show how the door is open to allow easy access. These little fat fendered cars are fun to do!

-

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your "DANGREER" door sign.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet ride Dan.

PS: Maybe ya need a rumble seat , that can be opened or closed...That way kids and mom and dad can get in the picture.

[ February 16, 2010, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Pat Welter ]

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do me a favour Dan.....
Don't ever grow up OK? [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Thorson:
Do me a favour Dan.....
Don't ever grow up OK? [Smile]

Growing older is inevitable..... Growing up is OPTIONAL ! [Wink]

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the way your stuff evolves through pictures [Smile] We have a company that wants a truck building from a golfcart, that was OK and a fun challenge, but they also mentioned possibly making 10 more identical which was not so much fun, the fun thing with your trucks is they grow out of whatever is close at hand, and a rough sketch rather than looking mass produced or factory made, maybe we can sell in an idea of making them all slightly different own characters?

Keep posting pics....I'm sure you will :9

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely- if you'd sat there any longer, I'm sure the cage around the car would have enclosed at the top & you'd be trapped in! [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who's building the truck while you just sit in it, man... talk about custom built, they fit the thing right around you !!!... those B.C. people...

Can't wait to see the rest...

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Dan!

Quick question...

What is the material that you used to span the gaps on the rods before the Sculpt goes on? It appears to be clear.

Thanks!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2283 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nevman:
Very nice Dan!

Quick question...

What is the material that you used to span the gaps on the rods before the Sculpt goes on? It appears to be clear.

Thanks!

Also for those of us who nothing about this process (namely me!) how thick do you apply the scuplt, how long is the working time and drying time?

How durable is this product?

C'mon Dan, inquiring minds want to know. [Smile]

I think a detailed step by step is in order here.

Thanks for sharing this project with us.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. You puttin a Hemi in that thing? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe Dan sat still long enough for the picture to be taken. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to the bucket seat?

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan's bucket is IN the seat.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the questions posed above...

Once the pencil rod frame is welded up we fasten galvanized mesh (lath) to the frame using tie wire and nippers. The job isn't hard but does require practice to master. Properly formed and shaped and tied securely it makes the application of Sculpt (or concrete) much easier and faster. The hardest part of this job is NOT to cut yourself on the sharp edges.

I've been wiring the shell of the car as we go as I haven't had a chance to get ahead of Sarah (the person who is mixing for me). Mixing the sculpt is a tough job but Sarah is able to keep up with me.

-

In spite of many interruptions today we made pretty good progress. It will take one more day to finish the rough coat. And for those that asked it is about 1/4" thick and pressed lightly into the wire. We have used about 75 lbs of Abracadabra Sculpt so far on this project. It's my guess we'll use less than 200 lbs more to finish. Once mixed the sculpt is easily workable for an hour or so, then it gets tough and leathery. In 3-4 hours you can do little more than dent it. Overnight and it is like steel.
 -

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dan - very informative!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2283 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

It's looking good Dan. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind, how/what are you using to apply the Sculpt? How large of an area do you work with at one time?

I hope you don't mind all of the questions, but this work fascinates me.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course my brain is moving way ahead to; how do you sand (whatever works for the contour)? Do you cover the mesh inside or seal with paint so it won't rust? What do you prime and paint with (epoxy)? Are you looking for any summer help?

That looks like fun. Especially the metal fab. No ruler, no level, no square.

[ February 18, 2010, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Dana Stanley ]

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know from first hand experience it can't be sprayed, it's a 2 part epoxy clay. if you want an idea of what its like get some jb weld plumbers putty. as far as priming and painting I've just been using latex and acrylics.

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

The epoxy is mixed by hand in baseball size quantities with best results rolling it out like bread dough and then twisting it together... repeat until mixed thoroughly. Putting it on is by hand in golf ball sizes of material. I flatten it out between my fingers and then press it on. I dip my fingers in water to smooth it. Once it's on any sort of tool can be used to create textures. We've used sticks, forks, tinfoil, coarse cloth rolling pins or anything else that works. Whetting down the sculpt with water will prevent the tools from sticking.

I generally don't do any sanding... and always paint with acrylics... plain old top quality house paint.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We made some progress today... but it was Sarah's day off and Bec could only work a few hours. I put on a little sculpt but spent the bulk of my time welding up the framework for the gas pumps...

We do not paint the framework inside our sculptures and after doing this type of work for better than 20 years don't see the need. I've gotten inside some of our structures for various reasons and there is little rust on the inside- even after that time. I have noticed that Disney does paint their structures and mesh... but then again they are built to last many. many years... The Matterhorn in Disneyland was built with similar methods in 1959 and is still standing. They used a lot of lumber to build the shapes in those days... now it is all done with welded steel, pencil rod and mesh like I have done here.

-
I made up a steel form for the base which will be filled with concrete once it is in place - just like the real thing. The post to support the roof is in the middle. A gas pump will flank each side. I got a good bit of pencil rod welded in place... finish tomorrow....

-

Sarah is on again tomorrow so we should finish the car for sure and perhaps even one pump will get the first coat of Sculpt...

-grampa dan

[ February 19, 2010, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

We finished the first coat of Sculpt on the car at last today and got one pump done too. The welding is done save for the sign bracket which I'll put on tomorrow.

-

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that car body symmetrical? [Wink]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Mike

I still have to make a few adjustments... the headlight on the driver's side is a bit wonky, the back fender has a flat spot... ... but it will be pretty close when I'm done.

It's not perfect as far as symmetry... but it is a CARtoon after all...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Erik Winkler
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And suddenly there is a gas tank also.
I love it.

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might make a great Parade Car too! Wow, I could have a blast with one of those! What do you think Dan?

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

We've done a number of diminutive vehicles for parade floats over years. We like to start with a used golf cart which can be had fairly reasonable. In the past we did them with welded steel bodies but with my limited sheet metal compound curve shaping abilities it was challenging. With the Sculpting epoxy anything is suddenly possible.

Here's a little dump truck we did a few years ago for the owner of a local gravel pit. I added an extra axle to make it a tandem. The grill was done on the router using Precision Board. The body and box were welded steel, the fenders were hand molded fiberglass. The box raised up and down, and had working lights and air horn...

-

-grampa dan

[ February 22, 2010, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Sarah decided to go to the Olympics yesterday (with my permission) and so we did the last of the first coat of Sculpt today. Our order of sculpt is still in transit so it was close with what we had on hand.... and there was just barely enough. The router has been busy cranking out the pieces for the signs on the pumps as well as other bits. I'll glue up the big sign that will hang off the beam overhead tonight... perhaps even get that steel welded up too. We ended up using about 180-90 lbs of sculpt on the first coat. The final coat should take about the same which keeps things on budget as far as materials. The time is working out to about what I estimated too.

-

Its looking pretty cool already and I am excited to begin fashioning the details we will include. This is going to be fun in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ February 23, 2010, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you *sure* you know what you're doing?? LOL... just kidding Dan - that is some fantastic work!! Can't wait to see the finished product in all it's colorful glory.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still wonderful, literally!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!