Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How is this effect achieved?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is this effect achieved?
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/86812917.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548F54FD43D2311C564920DF4872C0005DFC8138AFA19C5F67CE30A760B0D811297

have a customer who wants the red engine turned effect...how's it done?

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, can't access this image.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
web page

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like vinyl to me,...unless its engine turned gold and or aluminum leaf with transpareant red shot on top,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - from the pattern I think it looks hand turned - maybe aluminim leaf or white gold? Then a transparant glaze of red - I would make several practice pieces while doing the original so ytou can get the glaze with enough color. Airbrush the glaze. Multiple thin coats until you have the right shade of red. Use your favarite clear with a couple of mist coats well dried before tinting with small amounts of heavy pigment compatable with the clear.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coburn material overlaid with Oracal's transparent red vinyl might come very close.

[Smile] I like Barb's way better, though. [Smile]

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a sign I finished earlier this week. The photo isn't great, but the square behind the big T is 23 carat gold leaf. the leaf outlines are painted on as dots with a pipe cleaner, with a dark gold colored enamel. Over that I brushed on a coat of urethane varnish with hardener, and a few drops of brick red One shot for tint.
 -

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like spun goldleaf with red candy over it.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe like David, it has candy red over it. In the past I have done it this way using aluminum leaf, candies and clear coat for any number of color an∂ effects.

Note: Candy paints are totally transparent and work over any base of silver, gold or white and must have a clear coat. Candy paints aren't to be painted by a first timer and can go array quickly if blotches or dirt appears in the candy itself as there isn't a way to repair it other then removal and re-do

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could get close to this with the Coburn turned vinyl, but this looks 'hand done'. Usually when 'turning' something this small, you could use the soft velvet (or similar) taped over the end of pencil eraser. You could use a piece of dowel rod, or whatever diameter you want to circles to be. Just don't bear down on the tool when turning it. Try on a scrap piece first to get the proper 'feel'.

I've had better luck with slow size with this technique.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey would you be able to tint clear urethane with a deep red to get the same tranzparent effect, only easier application than the candy?

[ February 13, 2010, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Dana Stanley ]

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dana Stanley:
Joey would you be able to tint clear urethane with a deep red to get the same tranzparent effect, only easier application than the candy?

IIRC, candies use dyes for color, not traditional pigments. I also think this is why they are prone to fading so easily.

I have on occasion had my local paint supplier make me BC without any pigment to make transparent colors using normal toners. They don't give you anywhere near the "brilliance" of a candy. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking.

The idea of a candy is a transparent top coat that allows the light to reflect from the base and through the candy. Any heavy spots or dirt(the dirt cause a capillary action) will show up darker due to the extra amount of paint that the light travels through.

Have you ever seen a candy paintjob on a car and the edges of/and around the doors, hood and trunk look darker? This is because they painted the jambs first then the whole care or vice versa. the overspray from the jambs is like adding an extra coat or two in these areas.

For these reasons, even if you could make your own concoction, it won't be easier to spray. The only way to make candies easier to spray (IMO)is to use a base that is similar in color to the candy itself, which usually is nowhere near as brilliant as using a silver or gold base.

[ February 13, 2010, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana, Spraying candy is fairly easy on small projects as the coverage must be kept evenly. I have used an airbrush to spray candies in the past with excellent results on leaf as well as reflective vinyl. I think that learning to do it correct is more important then to invent a whole new routine. It is my belief that to tint the clear with a red toner will take more red then clear. There are many many colors of candy to choose from to begin with. The key to a perfect coating is patience

Edited for David - you were posting same time as I an∂ your explanation is right on but David, using the complimentary color with candy works best in pearlescents as they will be hardly any brilliance with the candies

[ February 13, 2010, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how do the Kandy leaf thingy.  - First I put on the aluminim leaf using AquaSize, spin by hand, then lightly hit it with clear Imron clear, just a fogging. Let it get a tad happy, then hit it with Imron mixed with a few drops of House of Kolors kandy concentrate. Very lightly,you don't want runs. After you're satisfied with the color intensity, stop. Let it dry, then hit it again with the Iron colorless clear, but very nice. Walk away, have lunch, then do all of your outlines etc. If the job requires a shinny as glass look, then you got to finish with a touch-up or full size gun. The job in the picture wqas done with paint mask.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick-ass door, Alicia

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you are one BAD A$$ Momacita!!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It comes that way on a roll, I have seen, just like other faux turned vinyl. Check around at your sign supplier. I remember years ago we used to do deflector shirlds with it where we manually cut out the letters and outlined them in lettering enamel. Guess it could be cut with a vinyl cutter, but that is not my thing.

Just doing it in real gold and making the hand turnings is real easy. Candy color is also real easy. Just takes time. I did a '57 Chevy one time with giant flames this way in a red fade to yellow candy. I used way too much urethane clear on it, but five years later, it still looked good. I think the finish was around 75 mils! Way too heavy...

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always preferred aluminum leaf for use with glazes because it is lighter, layed dryer for high burnish. This is true for surface or reverse. Not counting fire truck scrolls and dimensioning other gold. My favorite glaze is made with oil color mixed in clear, usually gold size. You can mix ahead so fewer coats are necessary.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!